Thread: pontoon boat

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone ever cleaned the pontoons on one. They make this stuff called toon bright but it is $$$$ and only workes ok. I was wondering if any one had used anything better and cheeper.

Thanks

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyota2
    Has anyone ever cleaned the pontoons on one. They make this stuff called toon bright but it is $$$$ and only workes ok. I was wondering if any one had used anything better and cheeper.

Thanks

Shawn

There are multiple products on the market to clean pontoons, you might want to look at the West Marine site (http://westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/sto...ey=SiteSearch). The biggest thing to know it what the crud is on the pontoons, is it organic, discoloration, or a combination of both. I have used a pressure washer to get really funky organic stuff off the pontoons, and depending on how they look after that step I decide whether I need to use any type of acid or polish. I have also used diluted muratic acid, allow it to sit for about 30 seconds followed by a good rinsing with plenty of water (repeat if needed).

Depending on how shinny you want to pontoons to be, you might even uses a metal polish and a PC to get them really bright, but remember the next time to pontoon boat is run up on the bank they will just get scratched up again.
    2003 BMW M3 Cabrio

2003 GMC Denali Pick Up

2002 Cobalt 262 (boat)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply it is my father in laws boat so I will pass on the information to him. For the muratic acid what dilution ratio did you use?

Thanks again

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyota2
    Thanks for the reply it is my father in laws boat so I will pass on the information to him. For the muratic acid what dilution ratio did you use?

Thanks again

Shawn

I`d start out with a mixture of 5:1 (5 water/1 muriatic acid). Muriatic acid is a watered down version of hydrochloric acid (30% hydrochloric acid/70% water), you might need to play with the mix ration to get the desired strength. Remember when mixing the solution, ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER and never the other way around. This will keep the chance of any unwanted chemical reactions (like bubbling out of your application container).

Also you might want to the the MSDM (Material Safety Data Sheet) for hydrochloric acid before using it (http://www.chem.tamu.edu/class/major...s/msdshcl.htm).
    2003 BMW M3 Cabrio

2003 GMC Denali Pick Up

2002 Cobalt 262 (boat)

Post Thanks / Like
    If your trying to clean the tubes your best bet is a alunimum cleaner most likely a hydrocloric acid, you spray on until foam and then mit it off and then pressure wash it off.
    Learning How To Detail the Eco-Friendly Way

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi-Temp`s 710 wheel cleaner works. Spray on, let sit, and pressure wash off. Some tough areas may need to be scrubbed with a brush.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    I work a summer job detailing boats at a marina... we used a product called "On-Off." Its an acid wash hull cleaner. I`ve used it on fiberglass hulls, but I never tried it on a pontoon, so i`m not 100% sure if it`ll be ok on aluminum. I don`t see why it wouldn`t be, but don`t hold me to it. I do know that youre not supposed to use it on galvanized metals.

The stuff works wonders though. You just spray it on and scrup it off with a brush. Its strong stuff so make sure that you wear a mask, gloves, goggles, and clothes you don`t care about. I`ve made the worst of hulls look brand new. And the price isn`t bad...you can get a small bottle between $15-$20 at most places that carry marine supplies.

I`ll look and see if i can find any info on whether or not its ok to use on a pontoon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just researched the "On-Off" stuff on the manufacturer`s website...DO NOT use regular "On-Off Hull and Bottom Cleaner" for your pontoons. But this company makes other products to help your probalem. I would recommend using a product like this: http://www.crcindustries.com/marine/...?PN=MK3132&S=N

or there are more products that you can take a look at here: http://www.crcindustries.com/marine/..._ss.aspx?ID=27

Any of these aluminum cleaners should help clean up your pontoons. I`ve never used them, but I would assume that its applied and used very similar to the Hull and Bottom cleaner, and i`m sure it`ll work great too.

I would recommend using CRC products. We use a lot of them at the marina I work at. They make high quality and reasonably priced products. I think you can get these at most marinas or stores that carry marine supplies. I know our marina carries them.

Good luck! :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for your responses and information, as I said it is for my father-in -law so I will pass it all on.

Thanks

Shawn

Thread Information