Post Thanks / Like
    I`m new to Autopia, and from what I`ve seen everyone here knows an extraordinary amount about detailing-thank god! I`m driving to camp this summer and my grey Camry will be parked outside for the entirety of the one-week session-Louisiana summers are replete with lovebugs, heat, humidity, and broiling sun. I won`t have any time between check-in and parking to clean my car outside of a front fascia rub-down with Meguiars QD, so how should I best protect my paint? I don`t have time to order anything (I leave next week) so what could I get at AutoZone that would keep my paint safe? I was going to line my windows and moonroof w/ aluminum foil (inside) to keep the heat and UV out, so mostly it`s the exterior I`m worried about. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    A week really isn`t going to hurt all that much. I would just make sure that you have a fresh coat of wax on the car before you leave. Your biggest concern is going to be waterspots when if it rains. When you get back, just make sure that you give the car a complete and thorough wash and you should be good to go!
    2009 Montego Blue BMW 335i :woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t line the interior with aluminum foil. It might actually "mess up" something. Look at what happens when you wrap a potato and throw it in the oven. About the best that you can do is apply a good coat of wax/sealant and be ready to remove some etching from water spots and possible bird poop at the end of the week. A good coat of sealant *might* prevent this from happening. I know how you feel. I`ve had black two trucks messed up by leaving them out for extended times (about a week) without getting the crud off.

If something bad happens just get back to us. We know how to fix that which is fixable.

Tom
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I wouldn`t sweat it. Accumulatorette takes her A8 down south frequently and it gets exposed to those conditions for longer than that with no problems at all. I just give it a fresh coat of wax before she goes and then clean it up when she gets back. No biggie...

Post Thanks / Like
    a week!!!! my cars live outdoors forever

just give her a fresh coat of wax before you leave, and have one of those sunblinds in the front screen

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo3002
    a week!!!! my cars live outdoors forever

just give her a fresh coat of wax before you leave, and have one of those sunblinds in the front screen

Exactly. My cars never see the inside of a garage. :sadwavey:

Post Thanks / Like
    UV radiation and heat buildup/cycling will damage the interior over the long run. One week isn`t anything to worry about, it`s the months and years that add up. Still, it`s good to get into the habit of protecting the interior from intense sunlight. It will also make the car`s interior more comfortable to return to in the heat.

Lining the glass with aluminum foil will do a great job reflecting sunlight but it`s impractical over time. The windshield is the biggest piece of glass and it`s sloped so that`s your big entry point for radiation. A fold-out dashboard shade, preferably one that`s reflectorized, will go a long toward reducing interior heat buildup and dash deterioration. Using the shade and choosing a parking space that faces into the sun for a large percentage of the day will keep out a lot of sunlight.

The rear glass is the next big port. Putting a shade in and out of the rear deck would be a pain every time you get in and out of the car but if it`s going to be parked a while it may be worth considering. Side glass isn`t nearly as much of an issue unless you know the car will be seeing extensive exposure in the same orientation.

Ah, the things you learn in the desert. Also, every truck I`ve owned has been and every truck I ever will own will be white.

PC.

Thread Information