Post Thanks / Like
    My dad just bought a new VW Jetta (white). The dealership "washed" it for him and left swirl marks in the clearcoat.

I`ve tried Optimum Compound with yellow pad and even the orange Propel pad with minimal success. What should I do? Is there a more abrasive polish I can pick up locally? Or if need be I can order a more abrasive polish. Man the VolksWagon clearcoat must be rock hard.

Help please I want to get this finished so I can add the LSP for protection.

Thanks

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    pb ssr 2 with yellow propel pad works for me, followed by pb ssr 1 with green pad

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d use 4" pads for the correction stage of the job.

I`ve been thinking that the Hi-Temp Heavy Cut followed by something milder like your OC might be good...it supposedly cuts well and finishes OK when used with machines other than a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with the VW clear, I have had zero luck with 6.5 LC VC Orange pads. I am going to go with SSR 2.5 and some yellow pads or SFX-1 pads. Haven`t thoguht about using 4" pads yet though...

Post Thanks / Like
    I just went through this with my 03 GTI. This is what worked for me, from the recomendation of others on here.

OHC with Megs cutting pad

OC with light cut pad

OP with polishing pad

That fully removed the swirls and most of the deeper scratches. I was very very impressed with the Optimum products they all finished like a polish not a compound, no dusting and very easy to work with.

GL, let us know what works for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree about VW`s clearcoat. Swirl removal is really difficult. After trying a multitude of combinations, I still haven`t found one that works on my `04. I even tried going to a 4" orange Propel pad with Menzerna IP at speed 6 and it didn`t make any difference. I worked it in slowly as well--moving about 1/2 inch per second.

I`ve only tried Menzerna IP, Menzerna FP, SSR1, and Prime Strong (just ordered SSR2.5 and Optimum Compound). It`s frustrating that it seems necessary to use a really abrasive polish to get any result on fairly new paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    I polished a black `02 Jetta with heavy swirls and medium scratches, for our car lot.

OC with foam cut pad via rotary did very little. I had to pull out the 3M med cut to get things going. Next was 50/50 OC-OP via rotary with polish pad and then OP via PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very (.5 inch per second) slow passes with lots of pressure with a PC, yellow LC Pad, and OC Should work. you`ll having hazing so follow up with OP. Maybe you weren`t going slow enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    if not get a bottle of OHC and try it. That WILL work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the helpfull replies. I just ordered a bottle of OHC. I`ll keep yall updated on my progress.

Thread Information