Post Thanks / Like
    I need yer brains here .

Swirlmarks, yeah, what else could be the problem?!

Well, I was doing some major detailing 3 weeks ago. First I polished with Sonax Xtreme 2 Polish & Wax Nano Pro, then glazed with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. After those two I sealed with Eagle One Wet Polish & Wax and after that put a final layer of Sonax Xtreme Wax 1 Full Protect.

I was using Sonax`s foam applicators which I got in Sonax Xtreme Wax 1 Full Protect set. I doubt that these could have caused me these light swirls. To buff off I used rather cheap microfiber towels. They had 80% polyester/20% acryl base but they still feel cheap and not right for the job. Again, I doubt that only they could be the cause.

Well, since my car`s only 1.5 years old and I`m pretty much newbie to this detailing thing, and this was my first time to use real abrasive polish (Sonax Xtreme 2). I got used to using just cleaners/sealants so I allowed it to haze after i applied it. It got really tough and hard, and then I found out that allowing it to haze was obviously wrong. It gave me a pretty hard work buffing it off. I really had to press hard on the paintwork to buff it off. Since I was detailing in my garage under just two lamps I couldn`t see the swirls right away. They are still invisible under daylight. Only visible under street lights when you look at really sharp angles. The color is metallic silver. I really polished it to extreme glass smoothness and it`s still got tons of wax on it, just these night swirls are my problem which dissapoint me

Post Thanks / Like
    Lousy MFs can cause damage as can any dirt caught in the nap of the towel. Cheap MFs are more likely to have hard edges (from melted nylon & polyester) which can cause light to heavy swirling depending on how you use them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Cro
    I need yer brains here .

Swirlmarks, yeah, what else could be the problem?!

Well, I was doing some major detailing 3 weeks ago. First I polished with Sonax Xtreme 2 Polish & Wax Nano Pro, then glazed with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. After those two I sealed with Eagle One Wet Polish & Wax and after that put a final layer of Sonax Xtreme Wax 1 Full Protect.

I was using Sonax`s foam applicators which I got in Sonax Xtreme Wax 1 Full Protect set. I doubt that these could have caused me these light swirls. To buff off I used rather cheap microfiber towels. They had 80% polyester/20% acryl base but they still feel cheap and not right for the job. Again, I doubt that only they could be the cause.

Well, since my car`s only 1.5 years old and I`m pretty much newbie to this detailing thing, and this was my first time to use real abrasive polish (Sonax Xtreme 2). I got used to using just cleaners/sealants so I allowed it to haze after i applied it. It got really tough and hard, and then I found out that allowing it to haze was obviously wrong. It gave me a pretty hard work buffing it off. I really had to press hard on the paintwork to buff it off. Since I was detailing in my garage under just two lamps I couldn`t see the swirls right away. They are still invisible under daylight. Only visible under street lights when you look at really sharp angles. The color is metallic silver. I really polished it to extreme glass smoothness and it`s still got tons of wax on it, just these night swirls are my problem which dissapoint me

ANY abrasive polish/compound needs to be worked in for it to do it`s job.

Applying it and letting it sit does really nothing for the removal of imperfections.

Most polishes go through stages each product is different though, but basically they go from wet, flashing and dry (see example in link below). Without going through these stages you won`t get the full effect of the polish and will most likely leave a dull finish (hazing).

Here is my website with info, videos and links about polishing and detailing.

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com

Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blkyukon
    ANY abrasive polish/compound needs to be worked in for it to do it`s job.

Applying it and letting it sit does really nothing for the removal of imperfections.

Most polishes go through stages each product is different though, but basically they go from wet, flashing and dry (see example in link below). Without going through these stages you won`t get the full effect of the polish and will most likely leave a dull finish (hazing).

Good Luck

Thanks, blkyukon.

Really great work on yer website.

Post Thanks / Like

That`s one neat site you got going for yourself there. Very good work both in the pic`s and the write-up`s. :up :up

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back home with a 500W halogen lamp from a supermarket.

Gonna do some swirl-hunting this weekend instead of fishing

Lack of oxygen up here sQuashed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with the hunting Leo !! Dont make yourself crazy.
    Gary

Thread Information