Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door jambs?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve always neglected door jambs, and having a white vehicle...it started to show. I was running low on megs QD, which is what I originally intended to use for the jambs also, but the mad scientist in me came out and I made my own formula. I mixed 1/3 water, 1/3 QD, and 1/3 AIO. I applied this, let it sit for a few minutes, then wiped off, and it looked stunning! I just wanted to check in and see if anyone else has tried this recipe, or if you guys know of anything better for door jambs? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Castrol Super Clean - diluted of course Soapy water never did any harm either.
    2003 4.6L V8 Black Supercharged Mercury Marauder

386RWHP 426RWTQ

LOUNGING SOUND - Ambient, Chillout, Lounge, Psytrance, Goa & More

Post Thanks / Like
    i treat mine the same as the outside...wash ,dry, polish, wax

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo3002
    i treat mine the same as the outside...wash ,dry, polish, wax
    Same here. If you used an AOI your water and QD probably did nothing but dillute it. I would just use the AIO and leave out the chemisty.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard of people mixing distilled water and SG to a ratio of 3:1, I`m going to try it this weekend. Have heard on here that a lot of people have had great results with it.
    2003 BMW M3 Cabrio

2003 GMC Denali Pick Up

2002 Cobalt 262 (boat)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwbear
    I have heard of people mixing distilled water and SG to a ratio of 3:1, I`m going to try it this weekend. Have heard on here that a lot of people have had great results with it.

Thats exactly why I was thinking that maybe AIO mixed up would work out. To me, its just a door jamb that no one ever looks at, so I don`t really mind it being quite as shiney as the paint everywhere else, but it sure did clean it quick. I`ll have to try the SG mix though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve02SLT
    To me, its just a door jamb that no one ever looks at...

Actually, the last time anybody complimented one of my cars (after all, they expect them to look nice if they`ve known me for long) was when an elderly guy I know *did* check out my doorjambs- he queried me in great detail about how I got/kept them so nice. He was really impressed with the way I`d polished and sealed them, said that it demonstrated an attention to detail above and beyond "just doing the parts that other people see". It was one of the few times I`ve ever seen that crusty old guy impressed by anybody.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know not everone has a steamer, but a high pressure one will clean the nooks and crannies around the hinges in no time without banging up your hands in the tight spaces.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Actually, the last time anybody complimented one of my cars (after all, they expect them to look nice if they`ve known me for long) was when an elderly guy I know *did* check out my doorjambs- he queried me in great detail about how I got/kept them so nice. He was really impressed with the way I`d polished and sealed them, said that it demonstrated an attention to detail above and beyond "just doing the parts that other people see". It was one of the few times I`ve ever seen that crusty old guy impressed by anybody.

That`s what separates a detail from a wash and wax... the details. Door jambs, wheel wells, engine compartments, HVAC vents, trunk upholstery, exhaust tips...

Post Thanks / Like
    CharlesU- Yeah, good point. A good steamer *does* work well on some stuff, especially greasy dirt that`ll emulsify.

Strat81- Yeah, the old guy who noticed mine is a retired engineer with a reputation as a real stickler for details; he`s always done everything to the best of his ability and expects others to do likewise. The kind of people whose opinions I value are generally like that, they don`t miss much.

Post Thanks / Like
    agreed...door jambs are the picture frame of your interior, first thing i notice im sure many of you the same

Post Thanks / Like
    I just use a cleaner wax

Post Thanks / Like
    I just use a cleaner wax

Ditto. Specifically, the little bottles of Mother`s that come in their clay kits (I always seem to need a clay bar and not have time to mail order one, and Mother`s seems ok for OTC).

blue skies,

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I`ve noticed on a few of my less-expensive newer vehicles is that some of the out-of-the-way spots like door jambs and under the hood aren`t cleared the way the rest of the car is. It`s an almost rough texture that I had to really polish (lots of passes with PI-III RC/MG) to get smooth and shiny before I LSPed them. Now that these areas are nice and smooth they clean up a lot better/easier and they shed water better too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    One thing I`ve noticed on a few of my less-expensive newer vehicles is that some of the out-of-the-way spots like door jambs and under the hood aren`t cleared the way the rest of the car is. It`s an almost rough texture that I had to really polish (lots of passes with PI-III RC/MG) to get smooth and shiny before I LSPed them. Now that these areas are nice and smooth they clean up a lot better/easier and they shed water better too.

Tell me about it. On the WRX it looks like they gave up even getting the color coat into the engine bay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information