Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this at AG but figured I`d post it here as well for extra help:

Finally found what works decently to remove spots, #0000 steel wool and AIO. Seems to only work if I put a little on the wool and rub the glass like hell, if I put it straight on the glass with a polishing pad, the wool doesn`t seem to do anything (which I actually thought would work with AIO sitting on it a bit to break down the etching). BUT my arms are killing me (almost hard to turn the steering wheel when driving lol).

Is there an easier way I was thinking of picking up the spot buff kit at AG and still not sure of the pad`s will cut it to remove the waterspot etching. I was just worried about scratching the glass. My front windshield definitley needs it (the areas where the wipers don`t clean).

Any help, thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    edit - weird? My thread isn`t showing under detailing but if I search for my post I can see it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Your on the right track Ive had the best luck with 0000 wool and QD. If that doesnt work ive used a rotary. Im not sure if a DA will do anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cj99si
    Your on the right track Ive had the best luck with 0000 wool and QD. If that doesnt work ive used a rotary. Im not sure if a DA will do anything.
    Yeh but the problem is it`s a biatch, and I only did two rear windows on my suv. Still have the others and mainly the front windshield to do :waxing: , gotta be an easier way lol. Arms are killing me right now, feels like I`ve been wakeboarding 24/7 for a week straight. I saw a post that scottwax used Optimum Compound on the glass? I have Optimum Polish but was worried about scratching the glass.

I`m still thinking of picking up the spot buff kit from AG anyway, I can at least use the pads on a drill so.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful with the fine steel wool. Some auto glass is mightly soft these days and it`s a hassle to get it replaced.

I`d use a rotary with a cutting pad and Meg`s #4, which is what Mike Phillips always does. And I`d take measures to keep it off the paint, that`s pretty nasty stuff. The spot buff kit would basically be the same thing.

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful with the Spot Buffs kit. I bought it and the backing plate/adapter it comes with IMO is crap. The first time I used it the backing plate spun right off the adapter and scratched the @#$!% out of my car. When I contacted the manufacturer (Lake Country) they refused to reimburse me for damages.

Also, have you tried glass polish? I`ve used the Detailer`s Pride glass polish and it does a great job restoring clarity to older glass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    Be careful with the Spot Buffs kit. I bought it and the backing plate/adapter it comes with IMO is crap. The first time I used it the backing plate spun right off the adapter and scratched the @#$!% out of my car. When I contacted the manufacturer (Lake Country) they refused to reimburse me for damages.

Also, have you tried glass polish? I`ve used the Detailer`s Pride glass polish and it does a great job restoring clarity to older glass.
    That`s actually why I bought the new Edge pad kit that screws on (plus the pads are double sided). I heard from others that had the velcro back seperate or the pad tear causing the PC to gash the car. But I like the spot buff kit b/c you can attach it to a drill (which in a real circular motion might do a slight better job then the 4" pad on a PC). Still deciding on whether to pick it up, plus there are parts on my truck like above the windows where the regular pads are too big even in 6" form.

I looked at the Detailers Pride stuff, but wasn`t sure if it would be strong enough to remove waterspots that have been on the glass for over a year. #0000 Steel Wool and AIO seem to be working well, just a pain in the ***. Do you think the Detailers Pride Glass Polish will be strong enough?

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer
    That`s actually why I bought the new Edge pad kit that screws on (plus the pads are double sided). I heard from others that had the velcro back seperate or the pad tear causing the PC to gash the car. But I like the spot buff kit b/c you can attach it to a drill (which in a real circular motion might do a slight better job then the 4" pad on a PC). Still deciding on whether to pick it up, plus there are parts on my truck like above the windows where the regular pads are too big even in 6" form.

I looked at the Detailers Pride stuff, but wasn`t sure if it would be strong enough to remove waterspots that have been on the glass for over a year. #0000 Steel Wool and AIO seem to be working well, just a pain in the ***. Do you think the Detailers Pride Glass Polish will be strong enough?
    Actually, I didn`t have a problem with the velcro backing seperating. The kit comes with two adapters. One is for use with a drill and the other for PC use. The adapter is then screwed into the packing plate which in turn attaches to the pad via velcro. When I had a problem, the backing plate unscrewed from the adapter during use.

FYI . . . I`ve seen people using 4" Edge 2000 pads. I just don`t know who sells them. I would contact Aaron at Edgepads.com. He could probably tell you where to get them. Also, make sure you have the new shorter Edge adapter. The old one according to what I`ve read had some problems. If you do have the old one Edge will exchange it for the new one at no charge.

I`ve used the DP Glass polish to remove water spots. They weren`t really bad ones, but the polish made short work of them. I applied it with my PC and an orange LC pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    Actually, I didn`t have a problem with the velcro backing seperating. The kit comes with two adapters. One is for use with a drill and the other for PC use. The adapter is then screwed into the packing plate which in turn attaches to the pad via velcro. When I had a problem, the backing plate unscrewed from the adapter during use.

FYI . . . I`ve seen people using 4" Edge 2000 pads. I just don`t know who sells them. I would contact Aaron at Edgepads.com. He could probably tell you where to get them. Also, make sure you have the new shorter Edge adapter. The old one according to what I`ve read had some problems. If you do have the old one Edge will exchange it for the new one at no charge.

I`ve used the DP Glass polish to remove water spots. They weren`t really bad ones, but the polish made short work of them. I applied it with my PC and an orange LC pad.
    Yup, actually just bought the new kit which comes with the new adapter. I think they had an free exchange program if you had the old one. I`ll definitley keep DP Glass Polish in mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just ordered some DP glass restorer. I will try it on my dads passat mirrors and will take before/after pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am with Accumulator on this one, Meguiars #4 heavy cut cleaner. You can either use it with a rotary or work it hard by hand and a terry cloth towel-I took some nasty water spots and wiper marks off a windhield this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 74 thing
    I am with Accumulator on this one, Meguiars #4 heavy cut cleaner. You can either use it with a rotary or work it hard by hand and a terry cloth towel-I took some nasty water spots and wiper marks off a windhield this weekend.
    How would Megs #4 do with a light cutting/polishing pad? I`ve never used it before but I always see people mention it and how strong it is. Just worried about scratching the glass. Might just order some DP Glass Restorer as I talked to somebody ese who used it on corvetteforum to take out some serious waterspo etching.

Post Thanks / Like
    74Thing- Good to know that it`ll work OK by hand for this, thanks for posting that. Makes sense as it`s not the same "abrasive breakdown" issue that you`d have with paint.

Surfer- Mike Phillips is *VERY* careful about what he recommends lest Meguiar`s get spanked for bad advice. When he says it`s his go-to solution to glass I`d take that to the bank. If the steel wool doesn`t scratch it (and it *will* mar many types of automotive glass, I`ve seen it) then IMO the #4 sure won`t.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m reluctant to use steel wool near my paint since if any of it flakes off, it`s an invitation to scratches or swirls. Anyway, I used an orange light cutting pad on my PC with some DP Glass Restorer and it worked quite nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is probrably a no-no for Autotopians but here is what has always worked for me. Fight fire with fire. #0000 steel wool & wheel acid diluted 50/50 or more. Wet the vehicle spray one window at a time with acid, rub with steel wool, rinse. There is no need for hard scrubbing and it`s fast. I have never done a windshield like this rumor has it that the pits will turn white. I have done this on many many many vehicles with no problems.

My windshield has a huge scratch in it from clay.
    Quality is a habit, not an act. - Aristotle

Detailer in Charlotte, NC :usa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information