Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys have a question that may seem odd but very true. had a customer approach me about detailing their vinyl wrapped truck. have seen these around but not positive what is used on them to keep them looking good. any suggestions would be great. it is not the same graphics as the link below but it is an H2. I know you wash it as normal but can you do anything to dress it up , maybe 303 ? I figure it will be all have to be done by hand. anybody who has detailed something like this please give me your thoughts.

http://www.leatherneckexpress.com/pi...and/Humvee.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I would just polish/wax the paint as normal, but do it mostly by hand wherever there is vinyl nearby. If you`ve got a large area without vinyl you can pull out the PC.

To protect the decals, I think you could use the same stuff as the paint. I think AIO+sealant would work fine on the vinyl, but you could always just use something like 303 or another plastic/vinyl protectant. Make sure to buff it off very well though, because a whole car covered in runny protectant during a rain would be a real mess.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the response, this may be a little tricky to work on if my beliefs are true.

Yea I kinda figured it was going to mostly hand work. have not seen this H2 yet but fear it may be totally covered in the vinyl wrapper, them it will be a wash and uhhhhh :nixweiss hope you are right that there are only partial decals as I have worked around those before. I just have a funny feeling that when the owner said vinyl wrapped they meant the whole thing :nervous: if the whole thing is wrapped maybe the 303 buffed off well will sharpen the look after a wash? I know that dragsters are totally covered in them and some companies are doing the same. you wash them as normal but I can not find anything on prepping the surface with anything after that. wonder if anybody has worked on something like this ? the inside will business as usual but want to make sure I do not charge too little for what needs to be done.

Post Thanks / Like
    i work for one of our members and his detail trailer is fully wrapped and we wax with common products, i think we have used 16, collinite and maybe a couple others, all by hand of course but its not bad.here is a link to his thread about the trailer

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54689
    "at the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottlee
    i work for one of our members and his detail trailer is fully wrapped and we wax with common products, i think we have used 16, collinite and maybe a couple others, all by hand of course but its not bad.here is a link to his thread about the trailer

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54689

well thanks for the info and the link. do you find any downfalls to waxing it ? I want to be careful and not do something I should not. have seen the stuff around but never heard of anybody using products on it. wonder if AIO would do any harm ? well at least I am getting some thoughts here. anybody else want to chime in ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I probably wouldn`t use AIO, since it`s a sealant and may not bond to vinyl (someone correct me if I`m wrong here). You`d probably want to use a carnuba. #16 and collinite like scottlee mentioned would probably work great, since they`re both very clear, very reflective waxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scimmia
    I probably wouldn`t use AIO, since it`s a sealant and may not bond to vinyl (someone correct me if I`m wrong here). You`d probably want to use a carnuba. #16 and collinite like scottlee mentioned would probably work great, since they`re both very clear, very reflective waxes.

Well this is the kind of info I was looking to answer. I do have 845, guess that may work or is it too oily? I am just looking for some people like scotlee to lend their dealings with it. would like their advice on the 845. if the 845 works I have enough, if not I need to grab something else.

Post Thanks / Like
    not that you mention it i think we diduse some type of wax that was kind of oily and it was killer to get the smears and wiped off, i remember we could see every circle of the wax apllicator, i know we used both 16 and collinite 885 ( fleetwax paste ) with no troubles

also we were told to not pressure wash the vinyl but that almost goes without saying

keep us posted how it turns out
    "at the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottlee
    not that you mention it i think we diduse some type of wax that was kind of oily and it was killer to get the smears and wiped off, i remember we could see every circle of the wax apllicator, i know we used both 16 and collinite 885 ( fleetwax paste ) with no troubles

also we were told to not pressure wash the vinyl but that almost goes without saying

keep us posted how it turns out

Well thanks makes sense not to pressure wash it. I guess I may have to try to find something in case the 845 does not work well. maybe a test area is in order ? I do have natty`s blue but that is the extent of my paste waxes. any ideas what might compare to 885 or 16 ? at least the inside will be business as usual :chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    You should explain to the owner that the vinyl may cause decreased durability from the wax or sealant. Don`t get all stressed out because of something like this, because it`s the owner`s fault that the vinyl is all over the vehicle anyway. If they want to complain about reduced durability, then they can take the decals off to solve the problem. Sort of like someone bringing you a Vette or Audi and complaining that it`s going to take longer to polish. There`s nothing you can do about it; you just need to do what you can.
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by White95Max
    You should explain to the owner that the vinyl may cause decreased durability from the wax or sealant. Don`t get all stressed out because of something like this, because it`s the owner`s fault that the vinyl is all over the vehicle anyway. If they want to complain about reduced durability, then they can take the decals off to solve the problem. Sort of like someone bringing you a Vette or Audi and complaining that it`s going to take longer to polish. There`s nothing you can do about it; you just need to do what you can.

You do make a lot of sense for sure. what wax do you think will replicate the 885 or 16 the best? I am feeling that the 845 might work for me. not sure how the Natty`s blue would fair compared to the 885 or 16. any thoughts on that ? I feel the owner will be fine as long as the interior is looking new and I can give the outside a thorough wash with QEW. apply a light coat of some carnuba and it should look a little better. figure it would be a good idea to have a back up if the 845 does not work well on a test area.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think 845 is similar to #16, except that it doesn`t smell as good as 16. So I`d go with 845.
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by White95Max
    I think 845 is similar to #16, except that it doesn`t smell as good as 16. So I`d go with 845.

so are you saying it smells bad :aww: it is for sure an unusual smell lol ! guess you may have talked me into the 845, since I have it. I am curious how long it will take me for QEW, 845, interior , wheels and dress tires ? I will almost feel like I am cheating without polishing

Post Thanks / Like
    Collinite has said that #885 (Fleetwax) is exactly the same thing as #476S (Super Doublecoat), just in a bigger container. They have also said that #845 (Insulator Wax) is the same thing as #476S, just in liquid form. I would say you`d definately be fine with #845.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scimmia
    Collinite has said that #885 (Fleetwax) is exactly the same thing as #476S (Super Doublecoat), just in a bigger container. They have also said that #845 (Insulator Wax) is the same thing as #476S, just in liquid form. I would say you`d definately be fine with #845.

Well thanks for letting me know. I have always felt that 845 and the 476 smell exactly the same. will have to take your advice and give it a go. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. have a good night .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information