Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Guys,

What a *****, It`s really impossible to keep a car nice nowadays. Let me back up a few years.... 1998..brand new 4runner...safely parked between 2 curb islands...so I thought. Landscapers show up while I am having lunch and do $7700 damage to paint, in other words, total repaint on a 4runner with less than 1000 miles.

Next car....2007 BMW 550i...clear bra installed...except the front bumper because my thoughts were that my 911 after 3 years NEVER had a stone chip in the front bumper so why should I do the 550...300 miles on car BAM ...big old chip in ...you guessed it...front bumper.

Today, short drive of 8 miles on interstate 77 in Charlotte NC...BAM...2 nasty holes in the hood precisely 1" past where the clear bra stops. Naturally I don`t follow closely behind these a$$holes.

It seems I cannot merge onto any highway or for that matter any road without immediately getting right behind some kind of A-hole transporting.....rocks, stones, cement, concrete, sand, bricks, asphalt, clay, mud, silt boulders, slabs of granite, you name it.

Elect me president and on day number 1 any trucks small or large carrying these or other items that damage cars will be forbidden on interstate highways. There is no reason they cannot use smaller secondary roads.

Thanks for putting up with my rant. :grrr
    2007 BMW 550i Alpine White :woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain. Yesterday while driving on 110 S in Los Angeles something on freeway (I think a piece of plastic) got kicked up next to me and put a small ding above my rear right wheel. Very annoying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see another Carolinian on board! Yeah, I hate stone chips, here in Boone it`s really bad, in the winter months they put so much road salt on the roads that you can actually slide around in the salt if you arent carefull. So all the little sand particles left behind NEVER go away. To top that, it isn`t a very populated place up here, with dirt roads everywhere, so people bring that stuff on to the roads! Angry indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    i have you beat. driving home from the dealership (maybe 6-7 miles) BAM windshied gets it. no traffic just ONE car that passes me .... must of had a rock in the tire that let loose. damn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see another Carolinian on board! Yeah, I hate stone chips, here in Boone it`s really bad, in the winter months they put so much road salt on the roads that you can actually slide around in the salt if you arent carefull. So all the little sand particles left behind NEVER go away. To top that, it isn`t a very populated place up here, with dirt roads everywhere, so people bring that stuff on to the roads! Angry indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel ya man, your not alone.

My bumper is so low to the ground that rock chips demolish it.

And I was coming back home on the highway, and someone a few cars up must of threw a coke can out the window, it took a big bounce and smoked my fender and left a big gash :sosad

Post Thanks / Like
    We all wail every now and then... On my Silver Monster (2004 Hyundai Starex 2.5 Turbodiesel MPV) I finished my daily routine of QD and MF. I drive up the deadend of our apartment. This 18 wheeler semi wooshes away on the main street and I hear this heart wrenching "thud"... I get out to see that some rock one of the 18 wheels threw sideways has not only punched a hole in my polycarb right hand headlight but also has caved in the corner of the hood.

I first felt enraged with vengeance but then thought over and thanks God... that rock could have flown thru my windshield right into my skull !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I too feel and share your pain. It seems like it`s getting worse as well. My daily commute is so full of 18 wheelers and even the tandem tractor trailers as well as box trucks, garbage trucks, etc. etc. They all spew junk and drop stuff and just make filth in general. Couple that with the road construction,paving, line painting, the dirt tracked on to the roads by new home construction, farms and dirt roads in general..... the frustration is immense.

It seems like everytime I look at the car, there are more stone chips and defects.

cp1, if you running for president, put me on the ticket too. I`d be great to take back the roadways somehow.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that goes as well. I live in eastern Kentucky, where we have alot of overloaded coal trucks on the highways all the time. It`s very difficult to stay away from them, and they drive pretty fast usually---resulting in lots of small pieces of coal and coal dust nailing you whenever you`re near them.

It`s not fun, I know that.

Post Thanks / Like
    behind a dang dumptruck going about 75... start seeing some little pebbles start bouncing and knicking my car... then bam bam bam off the road multiple 2-3" diameter rocks boucing... up over my car on the first couple, luckily; yet, a couple more fell off after i have backed off and switched lanes and one of those flew directly at my face and slammed my windsheild--not doing anything but a little chip in my view.. allthough scary, minor yet still an annoyance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattress
    behind a dang dumptruck going about 75... start seeing some little pebbles start bouncing and knicking my car... then bam bam bam off the road multiple 2-3" diameter rocks boucing... up over my car on the first couple, luckily; yet, a couple more fell off after i have backed off and switched lanes and one of those flew directly at my face and slammed my windsheild--not doing anything but a little chip in my view.. allthough scary, minor yet still an annoyance.

This seems like a daily occurence over by me. Why is it that the troopers/police will not hesitate to pull someone over at 10 miles an hour over the speed limit but they NEVER seem to bother with trucks creating a hazardous roadway and/or dropping debris, etc.???

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah i agree...its horrible:hairpull all that hard work and you have to deal with chips..unfortunately trying to stop them is impossible :bawling: ..i rather try to minimize the amount/intensity of chips by a variety of methods...try to stay off major highways instead i opt for backroads and streets that have under 40 mph..most chips are from trucks and these streets tend to be less traveled..and if i do get a rock flying at me i prefer it to be a 40 than 70 mph..on trips where iam traveling on any highway where speeds will exceed 55mph i apply my colgan bra..other than that, i keep my car very clean telling myself that monthly waxing prevent chips :buffing: ..only if it was true..3 years of owning my car and i have chips but not many...clear bra will be on my next car :chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EMazda3S
    This seems like a daily occurence over by me. Why is it that the troopers/police will not hesitate to pull someone over at 10 miles an hour over the speed limit but they NEVER seem to bother with trucks creating a hazardous roadway and/or dropping debris, etc.???

Yeah I hear you... they pick on the little kids and don` t dare facing the big...

Thread Information