Thread: New car smell

Post Thanks / Like
    If I don`t want the new car smell to go away so fast, I guess the best thing to do is to not clean the interior so much, right? Or just to simply wipe it down with a dry rag?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you read what that smell comes from? You may want it to go away. I have read that is stuff

evaporating from the plastics and adhesives used in manufacturing. I read a article about Toyota

was expermenting with ways to reduce these harmful emissions from plastics after manufacturing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by belcherm58
    Have you read what that smell comes from? You may want it to go away. I have read that is stuff

evaporating from the plastics and adhesives used in manufacturing. I read a article about Toyota

was expermenting with ways to reduce these harmful emissions from plastics after manufacturing.
    Yeah but I also read its not enough to do that much harm.

Post Thanks / Like
    i recently bought a 1996 ford bronco with 2000 original miles. The truck still had the new car smell.... until I bought it and about a week later it went away. The reason, I believe it had the new car smell was because none of the windows were ever opened. The door was opened and closed a few times for the guy to drive it. But every window had never been open. So to answer ur question..... keep ur windows closed and the door open only to get in and out.....quickly!!

Post Thanks / Like
    You could always just spray some leather cleaner underneath a seat, or floor mat. Most leather cleaners have that new car smell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chemical Guys Leather Scent or just about any Leather Conditioner will have a new car scent. The evaporation will eventually stop, so you will have to keep it up with additional products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David703
    i recently bought a 1996 ford bronco with 2000 original miles. The truck still had the new car smell.... until I bought it and about a week later it went away. The reason, I believe it had the new car smell was because none of the windows were ever opened. The door was opened and closed a few times for the guy to drive it. But every window had never been open. So to answer ur question..... keep ur windows closed and the door open only to get in and out.....quickly!!

WHAT!!!! 2K miles!!!! Sorry didn`t mean to hijack the thread...but 2K miles???? No friggin way! That is awesome! Why didn`t the guy drive it? How much did you pay for it if you don`t mind me asking.

Post Thanks / Like
    That smell is called platicizer, and it`s not a good thing. Its` the same reason that your windows get dirty on the inside and form that nasty film. I know it smells good, but thats all thats good, the smell.

Let it go, then add a Chemical Guys scent to it instead.

Mmmmm.... look at all those fun chemicals your sniffing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasticizer

Post Thanks / Like
    I just tried the Z-10. Definitely smells like leather!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like groits Leather scent spray, got it free with an order one time and a little goes a long way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat-6
    I really like groits Leather scent spray, got it free with an order one time and a little goes a long way.

I have there new car scent as well, i like it ... hope its not bad for health

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s a carcengen (spelling) in the state of California.

I like vanilla.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ybajwa
    I have there new car scent as well, i like it ... hope its not bad for health

Would you say the Groit`s `New Car` is as good as the `Leather` scent?

If it is I am putting another order in!

Have you tried to combine them?ie,one spray of each?

Post Thanks / Like
    Leataher treatments/sprays/etc. always smell like a leather shop to me, and none of my cars smelled like that when new.

My $0.02: Keep it out of the sun, don`t clean it more than you need to, don`t apply tings that`ll impart their own scent, and don`t worry about the emissions being a health hazard unless you have a reason to believe you`re especially sensitive.

My S8 smelled like a new Audi for years until I finally conditioned the leather with Griot`s. Now it smells like a luggage shop. My `84 RX-7 still smells like a new `84 Mazda because it doesn`t have any leather so it only got cleaned and occasionally vinyl-dressing`ed (and the previous owner didn`t leave it in the sun to cook all those solvents out). My `85 Jag still smells new but that`s because I`ve always treated the Conolly leather with their Hide Food and I`ve only really cleaned the wool carpets twice- It still smells like Conolly leather and Wilton wool.

Thread Information