Post Thanks / Like
    Ordering the Optimum Porter Cable kit. Is there anyhting else I need, for the orange pad it says the backing plate is sold seperatley, but in the description it says backing plate included? Do I use the polish first, or the compound? Should I buy AIO or something like EX-P/UUP for sealent, then put the Spray Wax over that? Maybe an extra couple pads, or cutting pad etc.

Anything need to be added, or changed:

wash/dry

clay

quick was/dry

polish/compound

OCW

Basically can somebody give me a quick run down of the steps I should use with the products I plan on having/adding etc. Thank you in advance, want to make sure I get everything right, I`m so lost with the different steps and everything I see people post lol, and what about this wiping down with alcohol (where does this come in, would have to be before polishing correct?) :thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Double check on that BP with the pad for sure. Personally, I dont find a need to rewash after claying. Polishing is going to remove any contaminants as long as you dont have globs of clay from claying with little or no lube, or claying on a hot surface.

Give it a good wash, and remove and contaminants on the lower panels. If its cool and overcast, or if your in the shade, its a good time to clay while washing. Rinse duds and dirt off, then clay away with a quick squirt of some lube.

Dry thoroughly, blow out handles, wipers, and all those areas that tend to leak/drip while polishing!

Be patient with the PC, its not going to perform a miracle the first time out. Practice a little bit on each panel, and improve/work on your technique as you continue.

OCW has a Polymer base built into it, so your good to go with that. You may want to use it every few washes to maintain slickness and durability. You can either spray it on a MF and wipe on, buff off, or spray on a finishing pad and use the PC. Its extremely easy to use, as are the other Polys you mentioned.

Additional pads depends, obviously on what your trying to obtain. Cant advise as I cant see what your up against!

Take some pics and/or notes while your detailing for future reference. When you get all done, show the rest of us your accomplishments!
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, thank you. Yeh I know the PC won`t exactly be quick lol, especially on my suv. I have what I would say is minor to a few somewhat moderate swirls. Couple scratches but not deep, look`s kinda like somebody lightly rubbed a brissel pad in a few spots, have no idea where they came from. Trucks white, so should be fairly easy.

Think I should get a few extra pads, and what kinds if you know?

What about AIO/EX-P/UUP, sould I grab one of those to use as a sealant? OCW would still bond to them right?

I`ve tried taking pics before, but cant get anything to show, maybe b/c it`s white.....But I`ll get some before and afters regardless.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldnt hesitate to go with a light cutting pad. Colors differ from processing companies. The AIO isnt going to do anyting for your swirls, go with a dedicated "swirl remover". SFX, SSR`s, Megs, the list is endless...........Do a quick search on "swirl remover"......You be amazed at the plethora of info here!
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. Patrick
    I wouldnt hesitate to go with a light cutting pad. Colors differ from processing companies. The AIO isnt going to do anyting for your swirls, go with a dedicated "swirl remover". SFX, SSR`s, Megs, the list is endless...........Do a quick search on "swirl remover"......You be amazed at the plethora of info here!
    Well, the Optimum PC kit comes with the compound and polish that from what I`ve heard are pretty good for swirls/scratches (nothing deep or serious). Plus the trucks white (Mercury Mountaineer) which should make the job fairly easy.

That`s why I wasn`t sure, I just kept reading about AIO and how everyone uses it in general after polishing. The PC kit doesn`t have a sealant so I wasn`t sure whether to grab AIO, UUP, EX-P etc, or what would work best with a final coating from OCW.

BTW, got your PM, thanks.

Thread Information