Post Thanks / Like
    Greetings!

I work for a large bus operator in Sweden. We`re trying to establish some new routines for improving the appearance of our vehicles (employed in rural route traffic). I could use some help from you experts...

Here are the facts:

All surfaces of the bus (apart from the windows!) are painted (in a color similar to school-bus yellow) and have vinyl stickers here and there. Large portions of the front and rear is made of fiberglass.

Buses are washed on a daily basis in an automated washer (brushes + pressurized water mixed with schampoo). The process works pretty well, but over time, naturally, the paint gets oxidized and dull. The fiberglass dulls the most. Also, the larger vinyl stickers get dirty in a "saturated" way that the brushes can`t clean (see attached picture).

What I`m looking into is a suitable process for yearly detailing, which is all the budget will allow. For the same reasons, the only realistic option is a one-step procedure.

My questions:

1) What type of chemicals/pads should we be looking into? Same process for fiberglass/metal?

2) Would a Cyclo be suitable for this type of work? We`re talking 15 meter buses here, so I like the idea of two pads...

3) With 350+ passes through the washer each year, should we even bother about protection? How soon will it wear off?

Obviously this is not as crucial as detailing a car. Seeing as how nothing is currently being done beyond the daily wash, anything will be an improvement. The attached picture shows a spot cleaned by hand using some left-over Sonax Rubbing. This was just to see what kind of improvement was possible. That particular bus is five years old.

Thanks!

PS. I am aware of the school bus thread over at the Meguiars forum. Tried it, didn`t get a reply.

Post Thanks / Like
    Found another picture. The left part of the picture shows a spot cleaned as described above, the right side is untouched.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rejex is supposed to protect paint from staining. It is made by Corrosion Technologies. A Cylo or a PC will work. Consider useing a larger pad on a PC 7.5in.-9in.

-This article is from Rejexusa.com.

REJEX- FROM TACTICAL TO PRACTICAL

RejeX is the only product of its kind you will find for automotive applications. Used by the military as a stain inhibitor to help prevent corrosive turbine exhaust gas residue from sticking to aircraft, RejeX is a super thin-film polymer that will protect your vehicle, and help keep it clean and sparkling. You will be amazed at the brilliant, wet-looking shine it produces. Click here to see what Car & Driver had to say about it in their August 2003 issue.

www.corrosionx.com

www.rejexusa.com
    Quality is a habit, not an act. - Aristotle

Detailer in Charlotte, NC :usa

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest try Meguiars M66 as a one step

Joe used M20 on those buses, however the M66 is alot more aggressive

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help so far...

jvriii1942: That Rejex stuff sounds great but a) it`s probably too expensive (we`re talking 50+ buses) and also it would require a second step, and b) wouldn`t it wear off within weeks?

Five Star: Aggressive, that`s what we need! That`s a wax polish, right? How long would that wax hold up to those harsh brushes? Days? :nervous:

Post Thanks / Like
    After reading about some blends folks on here have used, I wonder how it`d work if you blended 845 with a decent polish for a homemade AIO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d like to see the look on the guys face when you hand him a 100gram bar of clay and a 16 oz bottle of lube and tell him to go out clay the bus!

I think I`d look at some kind of sealant that would last longer. First thing that pops into my head is Zaino, but the cost and availabiltiy may be prohibitive.

A cyclo would be a great investment for this task.

How much money and time are you willing to put into this type of work? Thats the big question.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been rolling this around in my head some more. You need something available in quantity that`s a one-step product with good durability. Finksh Kare has been getting a lot of positive attention here lately, and they`ve been on the market for over 40 years. From a glance, it looks to me like #164 would be a good choice. http://www.fk1usa.com/products-professional.htm#164

From their website: "A Wax Sealant For All Hard Shell Surface Finishes. Contains Light Cleaning Agents Along With Amino Functional Resins And Corrosion Resistant Waxes Which Provide High Gloss Along With Great Resistance To Harsh Detergents, Hard Water and Extreme Heat. Excellent Metal Brightener.

Recommended For Use On Single Stage Paint, Aircraft, Boats, Chrome."

Doesn`t that sound like about what you`re after? There`s also #215, but from the descriptions I`d guess 164 is probably more what you`re after.

And no, I have no affiliation with FK at all. I own a couple of their products and what I`ve used does a good job. Some of their stuff is supposed to have excellent durability. If I were in your shoes, I`d call them and discuss your project to see what would really work best from their product line.

Post Thanks / Like
    chpsk8: Claying sounds like a great idea! :bolt

Actually, I`ll be doing a lot of the work myself, at least initially. This is sort of a pilot study that might get implemented at the various depots, if the benefits are great enough. Bus operators here are all having a tough time financially, so trying to convince the right people that spending further money on "just appearance" has been a bit of a challenge.

Time/money really is the problem. I figure I can get about three hours per bus, and that will include some interior work. Chemicals would ideally be on the economical side as the number and size of the vehicles may still push the cost into the thousands.

velobard: Thanks for your effort! #164 sounds very interesting, although perhaps too mild? I`m mostly concerned about cleaning, any protection would just be a bonus as I see it. Also, availability is an issue, as I can`t seem to find a distributor for FK1 here. Your suggestion to make some calls is good one, I`ll try to find some local distributors/manufacturers to talk to, and maybe even send me some samples. Trying a couple of solutions can`t hurt.

Also, I should mention that I`ll be able to work indoors, where the bus also can be left standing still for about twelve hours.

What about pads, then?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mdahls
    Thanks for the help so far...

Five Star: Aggressive, that`s what we need! That`s a wax polish, right? How long would that wax hold up to those harsh brushes? Days? :nervous:

I would say it would hold up real world maybe 1 - 2 months. it is a polish and wax.

however you could follow it up with a wax of your choice at a later date that gives more durability.

#66 Quick Detailer - Quick Detailer is a one-step cleaner/wax specially formulated for high-production reconditioning. Quickly and safely removes oxidation and blemishes. Restores deep gloss and provides a durable wax finish.

I personally have used it twice and it polishes well. but I know production people that swear by it.

I`m sure others can chime in or ask at the megs place, others there use it frequently too.

There maybe other agressive polish waxes out there

Thread Information