Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    My car was keyed entire right sde right down to clearcoat-brought to body shop 3/27

should be ready this friday-

even thoughthey bake it is a black benz- i want to bring in the PRO -Brian in Staten Island (ny pro detail) get out all the swirls etc- since keyed fell like ive been raped-

so im havng like the car done to the max -but we al know most even great body shops cant do a real detail-

I like to do it myself- after Brian-clean polish- the like Soverign wax then i cover with P21s...

Again even though they bake the pain- how long should i wait before calling in a Pro Detaler or using a porter cable on it?

and anyone try the Concours Buffing Towel?? any good?

I used to clean the paint with Zymol HD cleanse but tooooooo tired this year to kill myself-and suggestions?

tks to all- and a good spring -please god!!

Post Thanks / Like
    :think:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :think:
    cor·vette : [ kôr-vt ]n. 1. A fast, lightly armed warship, smaller than a destroyer, often armed for antisubmarine operations.

Post Thanks / Like
    is there an english version of this post?

Post Thanks / Like
    After bringing in the translator.... I think if you are having your car resprayed and baked, you should let the car be for 1-2 months before applying any product to it. You don`t want to chance a major investment like that.

I never tried the Concours Towel so I can`t comment on their quality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ
    is there an english version of this post?

:funnypost
    2006 Atomic Blue Honda Civic w/Navi

Post Thanks / Like
    We oughta make a sticky out of the thread where MirrorFinishMan contacted the paint companies about this "how long to wait" thing. Short answer: longer is better, wait at least a month (I wait about 90 days).

And yeah, the CBT is nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im sorry if this was confusing- this board was better a few years ago-

still have much respect for Scott-Brian- a few others.....but for the most part-I will pass on these boards-

they have become worthless....

Post Thanks / Like
    they aren`t worthless ... some people just had a hard time understanding your post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jwmciti

still have much respect for Scott-Brian- a few others.....but for the most part-I will pass on these boards-

it`s only as worthless or worthy as its posts and members. if you wish to add some worthiness to them, you could start by being a bit more articulate in your posts. Only then can you actually be helped. Until then, I, for one, will pass on you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    We oughta make a sticky out of the thread where MirrorFinishMan contacted the paint companies about this "how long to wait" thing. Short answer: longer is better, wait at least a month (I wait about 90 days).

Here is a link to the post about paint cure times;

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64978

Below is a copy of my reply in that thread about the amount of time needed for fresh paint to cure.

-------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like the professionals at the major paint manufacturers have a completely different view when it comes to paint cure times before waxing.

1- AKZO NOBEL INC [ 1-800-618-1010 ]

Sikkens Car Refinishes standard is to wait 30 days after repainting before you can apply wax or silicone. Their standard of waiting 30 days includes the AKZO NOBEL Sikkens, Lesonal and Utech automotive paint lines.

2- Sherwin-Williams. drbunnell@sherwin.com

Sherwin-Williams standard is to wait 90 days after repainting before you can apply wax or silicone. Their standard of waiting 90 days includes all of their automotive paint lines.

3- Dupont Corp., Lionville, PA.

Dupont standard is to wait 90 days if the vehicle is out in the elements and to wait 120 days if it is kept in a garage most of the time. Dupont standard of waiting 90 to 120 days includes all of their automotive paint lines.

4- BASF automotive paints. email: lanet@basf-corp.com

BASF standard is to wait four to six months before waxing.

Below is a copy of a email I recieved from Mr. Tony Lane, Supervisor of the Technical Service Lab at BASF automotive paints.

---------------------------------------------------

Frank,

You don`t say but I`m going to assume that you have had your car painted with a two component urethane system. These systems offer a high level of protection and a great deal of shine. While they are well cured by the time the shop calls you to pick up your car, in fact, it will take several months for the curing process to be complete. (Remember that your hearing this from a lab guy and we only deal in the real world when we absolutely have to.) I would give four to six months before waxing. If you`re like me, that won`t be an easy task to wait that long.

I hope that this is of some help to you.

Tony Lane

Supervisor of the Technical Service Lab BASF

-----------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    MirrorFinishMan-Thanks for the link/summary. And thanks again for getting the official word on this. Now we have a standard to refer to; whether people adhere to that standard or disregard it is their own decision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jwmciti

I also will pass on you...as both of the posts I have read from you make no sense what so ever. Don`t be suprised if people don`t bother to help again after calling autopia worthless..Then go elsewhere

I hear the '55s are in Ben Kenobi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry friend but if you want help and then tell us the board is worthless then what do you expect? Writing in coherent sentences might get you a long way. Frank was kind to tell you what he did, I know you ticked me off with your remarks. I had some advice but I`m passing for now.
    Hoping the weather gets warmer again

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua312
    I also will pass on you...as both of the posts I have read from you make no sense what so ever. Don`t be suprised if people don`t bother to help again after calling autopia worthless..Then go elsewhere

It looks like some of the initial replies may have appeared a little derogatory. However, I am sure that was not the intention. We are all here to help and we should all continue to do so.

Post Thanks / Like
    These boards have been of enormous help to me. Those who ripped me up? I deserved it-

My posts look like im dyslexic- nothing wrong with dyslexia!!! Thank god I am not-

but after being keyed like 6x- I was venting at the wrong people-

for those insulted PLEASE forgive me- for those who ignored my stupid response and answered I THANK YOU-

I am embarassed and so so so upset- I find this board to be so informative and helpful and I am truly sorry to all-

46 yr old acting like a 15 yr old-

Kindest Regards to all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information