Post Thanks / Like
    I have two white vehicles, and after an extended period of rain they both have black streaks down the sides. At first I thought it might`ve been the weatherstripping going bad on my "beater", but the same thing happens on my wife`s GTP.

Is this a sign of acid rain? Also, I notice both cars get covered in a black film if it rains a lot. It`s not always road film either. I get the black film if the car sits still as well.

I have trouble getting LSP`s to last, but the last coat of IW I put on is doing much better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you use any dressing on the moldings?

Post Thanks / Like
    I get the same thing on my Jeep.... my black streaks are from the dressing/dirt from the soft top.

Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn`t matter if the moldings are dressed or not, I still get them.

Post Thanks / Like
    A few things come to mind..but they all relate to dirt that`s not coming off/out in the wash.

If dirt has accumulated under the edges of trim strips, it`ll often get flushed out during the rain. Try cleaning these areas better and then blowing them out with compressed air. I think you`ll find that even after a good cleaning, when you blow out any water that gets trapped there, said water will be dirty.

The other possiblility I`d suspect is that the trim/weatherstripping itself is still a little dirty/deteriorated. Try cleaning it thoroughly and applying a *VERY* light bit of dressing. Then try to buff *all* the dressing off after an hour or so. I`d use something "clean" like Wurth`s Rubber Care (but don`t spray it on, spray it on a swab/cloth and wipe it on the weatherstrips).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 66#1
    I have two white vehicles, and after an extended period of rain they both have black streaks down the sides. At first I thought it might`ve been the weatherstripping going bad on my "beater", but the same thing happens on my wife`s GTP.

Is this a sign of acid rain? Also, I notice both cars get covered in a black film if it rains a lot. It`s not always road film either. I get the black film if the car sits still as well.

I have trouble getting LSP`s to last, but the last coat of IW I put on is doing much better.
    I need more info to diagnose the problem, which might be environmental and/or localized to your two cars.

Tell us your city, and the cleaning/detailing products you use on the two cars, and where you park the two cars, and whether your neighbours or co/workers get the same black film. Tell us about chimneys and wood burning stoves nearby. I`m grasping straws here.

-John C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 66#1
    I have two white vehicles, and after an extended period of rain they both have black streaks down the sides.

Is this a sign of acid rain?

Yes, it is probably a result of acid rain.

The key is to polish and wax your cars more frequently. Rather than going with a product that has an extended durability, you might want to try using a last step product that is extremely quick and easy to use. That way it will require less work, allowing you a better chance of doing the cars more often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mirrorfinishman
    The key is to polish and wax your cars more frequently. Rather than going with a product that has an extended durability, you might want to try using a last step product that is extremely quick and easy to use. That way it will require less work, allowing you a better chance of doing the cars more often.

I get black streaks from my 05 Tacoma from the grill and the side mirrors. Not sure how to prevent it but it came from the dealer this way. It is a pain in the butt because after one rain storm they are back again. They wash right off but not sure how to remove them. At first I thought it was the weather stripping or the other plastics `releasing` something because it was new but 6 months later I still get streaks.

Thread Information