Post Thanks / Like
    I’m going to be doing my annual early spring cleaning/claying/polishing/waxing and tire changeover (snows off, three-season tires back on) soon – maybe as soon as next weekend, and I really want to include an assault on underbody rust for the first time. When I say underbody, I’m talking primarily about parts that you expose when you remove the wheels: pieces of the suspension, brake components, etc. Even the lug nuts I use with my steel winter wheels need help; after three winters, most of them are rusting. I posted a request for rust-removal advice back in November when the snow tires went on but didn’t get a big response, so I’m trying again.

I guess my basic notion is that I could buy a rust remover or dissolver like Eastwood’s OxsiSolv and spray or brush it on (and maybe immerse the lug nuts), but I have no idea how effective it might be. I suppose I could follow with something like Eastwood’s Rust Encapsulator, although the look of the part would be changed (I think).

I’m sure there are other Autopians who’ve done their own assaults on the rust that’s formed on the car parts I’m talking about. Anyone have products and/or techniques they could recommend?

By the way, I called Eastwood – the ordering line, not the technical-support line -- in hopes of getting some advice, but the person I spoke with was pretty non-committal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Judging by all the Eastwood references, you`ve probably got my $0.02 already

They have a new Rust Converter product out, I got some but haven`t used it yet.

I do think that the Eastwood stuff is the way to go,though I also kinda like the AutoInt Rust Inhibitor stuff when it comes to undercoating.

Lug nuts- I`d just buy new ones. The threaded studs I`d derust with the OxySolve or something similar.

I used the Rust Encapsulator on the RX-7s undercarriage/etc. bits. It hasn`t been long at all so I dunno about the long-term durability, but I gotta say that I was *HIGHLY* impressed with the stuff. Think of it as a primer, you can go over it with the final finish of your choice if you don`t like the flat-paint look of the Rust Encapsulator; I just stuck with that in most places...and this stuff does seem to really *stick* well if you do a remotely decent job of prepping the surface being treated. Use a painter`s mask with the Rust Encapsulator (I got one at the local autobody/paint supply place).

Thread Information