Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve searched for this before with no luck. I can clean a tire to perfection using APC or my preferred Bleach White and when I go to apply some dressing I find myself taking 3x longer to dress tires with raised white letters and white walls. If I go over the entire tire as if there was no white on the side they end up looking less than "WOW" white. I`ve tried using new applicators but this still seems to happen.

Any tricks of the trade? Thanks!
    2002 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Tire foam .

If I use a dressing I have to apply by hand, I designate an older terry/MF applicator and do it lightly by hand. Go over it a few times and wash the applicator after each set of tires. The built up gunk in the normal tire swipes will quickly blacken the whitewalls.

Post Thanks / Like
    WSU. I would imagine if you`re using any type of applicator for your dressing you are going to drag some of the dark onto the white no matter you do short of applying the dressing with a Q-tip.

This has worked for me in the past. get a plastic disk that will cover the wheel then use a spray on type dressing. The cover will protect the wheel from over spray and you will eliminate having to drag an applicator across the tire. I know they sell those disk at detail supply houses but back in my struggling college student days I would make them out of thick cardboard. When i started making a little money I had some made out of plexiglass (this was before such a thing was so readily available - I knew I should have patened the idea!! ), big time savers.

good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your suggestions!
    2002 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    After the white lettered tires or whitewalls have been thoroughly cleaned with a bleach product you will want to thoroughly scrub the tires again using your favorite car wash soap and a nylon brush. That will help to remove any remaining surface residue and brake dust. Then apply your tire shine using an applicator. Follow-up with a clean cloth to remove any of the product from the raised white letters or whitewalls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mirrorfinishman
    After the white lettered tires or whitewalls have been thoroughly cleaned with a bleach product you will want to thoroughly scrub the tires again using your favorite car wash soap and a nylon brush. That will help to remove any remaining surface residue and brake dust. Then apply your tire shine using an applicator. Follow-up with a clean cloth to remove any of the product from the raised white letters or whitewalls.

Another good idea. Thanks!
    2002 Mustang GT

Thread Information