Post Thanks / Like
    Just got a new Tahoe (Sport Red) and man oh man the swirls make it look 4 years old.

This is not a random thing this is full blown swirling swirly swirls. Just caught it today in the first sun we`ve had in a while

What a crock of ****. I`m going back to dealer tommorrow to have this addressed and they can put mine side by side with another vehicle or the demo I drove and there will be NO comparison.

Now I know a lot of you see this as a challenge but bring the paitn back but not me I want a clean slate!

Thoughts on approach with dealer. This is my second car from them and they have been great about everything up till now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you detail yourself? Do it. Asking the dealer (especially a Chevy dealer) for a correct finish isn`t going to get you anywhere.

Did you not inspect the finish before taking delivery?

Post Thanks / Like
    I did inspect the finish on a cloudy day and that didn`t help.

But I didn`t check the weight of the motor oil or the type of coolant in the radiator.

It is a NEW car!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d either fix it yourself or find a good detail shop in your area and make them pay for a professional detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok then do you have any PC pad reccomendations to use & where to get them.

CIXELSYD
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was at the local Audi dealer Friday night . . . each and every single car on the lot was littered with swirls and rotary holograms. It was unbelievable! :angry

I was SO revolted that I emailed the dealership`s GM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by batson34
    Ok then do you have any PC pad reccomendations to use & where to get them.

First I`d let the dealership`s general manager know about the problem, espcially if you have been OK with them prior to now. Ask for a professional detail. If they balk at this, I suggest using your PC -- Meguiar`s #80 Speed Glaze and a Meguiar`s W8006 polishing pad. If the #80 doesn`t work, move up to Meguiar`s #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish and follow this with another applcation of #80. Then apply with the wax of your choice. I`m sort of partial to Meguiar`s NXT because it looks great and is very easy to use.

Tom
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did inspect the finish on a cloudy day and that didn`t help.

But I didn`t check the weight of the motor oil or the type of coolant in the radiator.

It is a NEW car!

And?

Paint is so easily screwed up and our vehicles are subjected to so much before delivery that it`s simply unreasonable to expect perfect paint on a new car. Your choices when buying a new car are:

1) Buy a premium brand and demand a professional detail

or

2) Demand that the shipping material stay on and that you remove it yourself (easy to do, instructions printed on the material, all of it I`ve seen says an unrestricted hose / cold water)

or

3) Do it yourself.

The only thing a stealership is worried about is safety -- and that`s only cause they can get sued. If they could fill up your crankcase halfway with oil and get away with it, they would. If there were such things as "starter tires" that worked for only 100 miles, they`d use them. Basically, if it`s not safety related, they. don`t. care.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, to be honest, I don`t see how you guys expect a new car with a swirl free finish. Complaining to the dealer will get you no where unless they agree to pay for a professional detail, then take it. I would not let them touch my car, as it WILL turn out worse than you brought it.

Also, how do you think they wash the new cars that sit on the lot? Do you think each $8 an hour lot boy does a two-bucket wash using the finest products? Give me a break. ALL of the cars are ran through a car wash or poorly washed using the same brushes/etc. So, basically, unless you get a car straight from delivery on the truck, it WILL have swirls. I don`t see why people are always surprised by this fact. It is up to you to tell them what you want, and I would take delivery of a new vehicle no other than fresh off the delivery truck so I can do everything myself.

I say just learn how to correct the problem now so you can apply it later on.

-Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d reccomend looking into a PC and some good polishes, you could have the dealership`s people "fix" it, but I have a funny feeling thats going to involve a wool pad @3000rpms and little in the way of quality finish work. A pro could fix it too, but it`s going to develop swirls and scratches over time anyways, so I`d reccomend learning on a PC now, as it will come in greatly handy later. Just judging by your description, I`d get Poorboy`s SSR1, Poorboy`s SSR2.5, and Sonus, Lake Country or Propel (all 3 are good) pads, get one in light cut and one in polishing. If you`re looking to spend a little more at the same time, pick up some RMG and Souveran too. That duo will look amazing on properly polished red.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got a new Tahoe (Sport Red) and man oh man the swirls make it look 4 years old.

This is not a random thing this is full blown swirling swirly swirls. Just caught it today in the first sun we`ve had in a while

What a crock of ****. I`m going back to dealer tommorrow to have this addressed and they can put mine side by side with another vehicle or the demo I drove and there will be NO comparison.

Now I know a lot of you see this as a challenge but bring the paitn back but not me I want a clean slate!

Thoughts on approach with dealer. This is my second car from them and they have been great about everything up till now!

sorry to hear that.... if I were you i would try to find au autopian in the pro section that lives close and have them correct it, paint is something you need to have skill and passion for..its not like changing a tire or battery, as for the person who said how can we expect a swirl free finish...i agree....when you brand new tv with a few scrapes it is unacceptable but sadly this is not the case with automobiles :sadpace:

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d bring it back adn show them what it looks like. Tell them that you are not happy. Its brand new and it looks like its been washed with a broom. (somthing liek that anyhow)

Odds are that they will take care of it. Then they say they will take care of it, ask them "how?" Ask who is going to do the work. Is it the monkey in the back with the red shop rag, or is it a pro detailer they call.

If it`s your second vehicle, and they want you to keep coming back they`ll call someone worthwhile.

It probably won`t be to Autopian standards, but it will probably be a good start. When you get it back you can finish for them.

I bought a used black GS300 and the saleman was soooo proud of the "orange pad buff" they did. Granted it looked ok for about a week until all the fillers washed away. He called a couple weeks later and I told him I had 2 days into the paint and was almost done. I could hear his jaw hit the desk. I wasn`t mad. I`m anal, and I know it. I knew that he wasn`t going to be able to get that car to the level I wanted it at.

You`ll probably get 85% of what you really want, then take it to the end yourself. Just be cordial, you`ve got a long relationship coming up with GM service, no sense agering them over the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well they made it worse than ever :hairpull ... You guys are right I DO NOT expect perfect paint BUT if you compare the driver door & quarter to the hood or tailgate or any other panel and the difference is unimaginable!

When I got it yesterday I pulled up to the office :angry :angry :angry with the sun on the door and brought out the mgmt to look at it.

After marching them around the vehicle and having to ask them point blank if they saw the differnce they all agreed the "messed it up".

I challenged them to pull up any other new vehicle on the lot and compare them side by side!

WHat happens now is up to them... I was cool & told them it wasn`t there fault but they did not sell me the car in new condition but charged me a new price.

We are going to reslove the issue Monday. I know being a 2 time customer helps and the fact I live in a suburb where they know every other car is a large SUV is going to help i.e. if I have to I will let them know I am going to let EVERYONE know how they f^&ked up.

I am keeping myself calm until it is time not to be :argue

We`ll see it is far from over. :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m always saddened to hear about somebody getting a new vehicle with marred up paint. Saddened but not surprised. Considering how difficult it is to wash any vehicle without marring the finish, IMO the only way to get a marring-free new vehicle is to take it "still in the wrapper" and remove the transit film yourself.

Once upon a time Stoddard Imported Cars (Porsche/Audi dealership I patronize) had a new-car prep guy who did a great job, no problems at all, only place I`ve *ever* known that delivered them perfect. But he went on to his real career after he got his degree...

Even new exotics that`re deep into the six-figure range are always so marred up by the time they`re in the showroom that I`d never buy them (I`m paying for thick, new, perfect paint). Dealership people can`t even take off the transit film without doing some damage. If you want it done right, do it yourself, and keep in mind that it`s not that easy to do it right just look at all the threads on removing marring.

Thread Information