Post Thanks / Like
    So I`m planning out the products I need to get for the first detail of the season for my 05 STi. It`s generally in good shape, but there are a few conspicuous swirls on the hood and trunk, and it`s in need of some sealant. It`s not a daily driver, so it`s only out on nice days and always garaged. I`ve used Megs #26 in the past and have been happy with its longevity but I`ve always thought the shine could be better.

With that in mind, here`s the plan of attack:

Wash

Clay

Wash

Menzerna IP on a LC white pad (yellow if need be)

Menzerna FP on a white pad

3m hand glaze, either by hand or with a gray pad

Megs #26

Souveran x2

I`m new to both the Souveran and the 425, so I`m wondering what would be a better undercoat for the Souveran than the #26, if anything at all. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    You could/can skip the second wash and just do a rinse. You could also skip 3M and #26 go str8 to Souveran. Me personally would wait 2-3 days before applying a second layer of Souveran.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia!

I too would probably skip the #26 and see how it looks with only Souveran for the wax.

If you want to use a glaze I`d try something other than the 3M, which doesn`t impress me all that much. One of the Meg`s "pure polishes" or One Grand`s Omega would probably be my choice, though everyone`s raving about RMG these days.

Actually, I`d expect about most of the shine to come from the prep, so really inspect it before glazing/waxing.

Make sure you`re only touching the paint with really soft materials (i.e., high-quality MFs).

Post Thanks / Like
    *agrees with the others.

Instead of going from a white to a yellow pad with IP, try using an orange before the yellow. Orange is in between those two pads.
    2009 Montego Blue BMW 335i :woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool, thanks for the opinions. It`ll def. save some time cutting the 26 out of the equation. I`ve been lurking on the site for about a year, since I bought the STi. Now that I`m about to spend some money on decent products I wanted to get some good advice, so here I am.

Now that spring looks to be about a week away for us, I`m back on all the supply sites dealing with the cost-benefit disease of all the competing products. Let`s see, if I get pink wax instead of souveran, that frees up money for RMG and some pads... hmmm.

And of course, there will be pictures when we finally get a decent warm & dry weekend...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep skip the 26 but add the Red Moose Glaze!
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go for the orange pad for the Menzeran IP and then the white pad for the FP.

I never used Souveran so I do not have and opinion I use Menzeran FMJ and then I put the 425 and the paint feels like glass.

By the way I also have an STi (05 CGM).

Regards and welcome.

Nick

Thread Information