Post Thanks / Like
    I have an Arctic Silver 1996 BMW 328i, and I have in my garage (or very soon) an M3 front bumper, M3 sideskirts, M3 rear bumper, M3 side view mirrors, and a `97 and later style M3 nosepanel.

The front bumper, nosepanel, and side view mirrors are came already primed.

The rear bumper is used, and another color, and will be painted with the others. I`m not sure if I should sand and prime it, or let the pro`s do that?

The sideskirts are used but my body color. If they`re in great shape when they arrive, I won`t bother painting them. If they`re slightly off-color or in bad shape, I"ll need to do the same to them as I do my rear bumper.

Also, my hood has several rock chips and some wrong-color touchup paint that I need to decide to either get professionally fixed, or the whole thing repainted.

So, I`m a poor college student spending a bagillion dollars on professionally colormatching and painting all these body components. I can`t help but feel compelled to protect my investment with a clear bra material.

Keep in mind I will be competing in concours, etc. I need advice on the clear bra. I figure I`d use it for the forward facing panels - the bumper, nosepanel, hood, and side view mirrors.

So, here are my questions:

-) Should I sand and prime the rear bumper and sideskirts myself, or leave it all to the pros?

-) Should I get the hood professionally repaired or completely repainted with the rest?

-) Which panels should get the clear bra? Covering the whole thing?

-) Which clear bra should I get?

-) How much should this whole thing cost me, approximately?

Thanks!

-Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in bad need of opinions very soon!

Thanks,

-Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    clear bra is a good investment. I have it on my BoxsterS and coming from a black car well the rock chips on the front bumper are gone and forgotten. You have to wait 30 days before you add the clear bra. Its a very difficult do it yourself.

www.premiermobilegroup.com

BoxsterS:GT3 Recaro Pole Position Seats, GT3 Front bumper, 20 lb. 18"Carrera 5 spokes,Toyo RA-1, Valentine 1!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789415

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I guess it all depends on how much you are looking to spend / know. If you know how and are good at prepping and priming, go ahead and do it. If not let the pros do it all.

Call around and get estimates. I had a lip kit once. Just so strip it and prep and repaint I got quotes from $2,000 + install to $500 installed. Go into shops or ask local car guys about places. chances are that if it is an older car they have had it repainted and know of someone or know of someone how went to someone. Do not be afraid to ask shops questions. asks for references, ask to see pictures of work preformed. Look at the type of cars in the shop and how the shop appears. are all of the cars in there junkers? family cars? high end?

As for all the clear bra questions, I have NO idea. Never really dealt with the stuff.

TOM

Post Thanks / Like
    I install Xpel film and it`s well worth it. I would recommend the normal kit for your car which includes bumper, fenders, hood and mirrors. Headlight kit is an option also.

Avery makes a very nice film also.

It will not count against you in a concours....or at least it shouldn`t from what I have ben told and experienced.

The key part is finding a great installer because there are a ton of hacks out there.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ll need to decided which shop your going to and call in advance and ask if they will paint what you prep because alot of shops either won`t do the painting or will but are going to re-prep the substates anyway.

The reasoning behind this is simple. All paint manufactuers have warranties for their products and any good/pro shop transfer that warranty in addition to guranteeing the work. For all that to happen the right preperation is key. Prep is always 90% of the job.

I just had my front bumper and hood (Audi A4 05 Ultrasport) done at the Dealer`s bodyshop and they charged me $300 per part. I was going to get the fenders done too and they said it`s 300 shackers per panel.

But I had no collision damage just rock chipping and some bad touch-up`s like yourself. I also don`t have a metallic or Pearl coat either.

Estimates for bodywork and painting will vary from shop to shop, town to town, and so on. So when getting one off the net make sure it`s for your local.

I`d get the hood done since your in this deep already.

I`m waiting for the paint to fully cure (it`s been over a month now) before applying a clear bra. Had I invested in that when I brought the car in late `04 I could`ve saved myself a trip to the bodyshop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hacks - yes they are out there!

If you are having someone install a "clear bra" make sure they know what they are doing... I didn`t (silly me assumed they were competant) and you can see for yourself the end result - check my gallery...

Thread Information