Thread: What Is Wrong

Post Thanks / Like
    Although I am a Newbie to using a PC and recently discovered variety of products, I have kept my cars well polished with the locally avail stuff. I had decided to try something new on my pride and joy; my 67 Chevelle. First of all, this is a garage queen. It pretty much stays in the garage, under a cotton cover, 50 weeks of the year. It had previously had several layers of Mother`s Reflections on its marina blue lacquer. I decided to try something new, so after washing, claying (I think this was a waste of time on it), I polished it with my new PC and Meg Deep Crystal Polish. It was already shiny and smooth, but I did this to remove the prev. Reflections that was still on there. After hand buffing, I had decided I was going to use Klasse AIO-SG-Natty`s Blue. I applied the AIO by hand with a terry cloth, and wiped it off with a MF, everything was fine. Then I applied the Klasse SG with a terry cloth applicator, letting it dry for 2 days. There was just a real faint haze on it today (mostly just the lines of application visible) when I tried to buff it off with a MF. The MF did nothing. The only way to remove it was with the PC and a terry cloth bonnet, and that took forever. Thank God I only did the trunk, so I could see if there was any improvement. So was the Reflections still there? I`m really questioning any further Klasse treatments.

Post Thanks / Like
    you supposeed to remove it right away man.

AIO & SG are top notch products.

Most of the time it is user error that`s the issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    :nervous2:

yeah man, you don`t leave it on for 2 days.....you wipe on wipe off....or in the case of SG, wipe on, let haze, wipe right off

but make sure you leave a thin thin thin coat of it on or it will be a ***** and a half to remove and you won`t see the fruit of your labor (much less wasting expensive wax)

I would go over the car now with a quality QD and MF and see what it looks like

Post Thanks / Like
    Why did you leave it on for 2 days???

I`m guessing you also applied it too thick. SG isn`t difficult to remove if it`s applied very thin.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I think I applied it too heavy and the applicator was dry. I meant to leave it on for one day, as I had read this was prefered; but didn`t get to it yesterday. In this interview with the pres. of Klasse USA, he says it`s alright to leave it on untill the next day. So do most of you wipe it right off, wait an hour, or two, or the next day?

Post Thanks / Like
    I always let sealants dry for about 30min - 1 hour.

As far as your comment how you "read this was preferred", regarding leaving the SG on for one day, I think you`re confusing this with the curing recommendation for sealants/waxes. It`s generally recommended that you allow a sealant or wax to cure for 24 hours before adding another coat. The curing process is what takes place AFTER you wipe off the excess product. The product that ends up curing is only what has remained on the paint after removing the excess.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgot to include the interview

www.properautocare.com/inwiklusa.html

Lack of oxygen up here sQuashed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best thing to do with SG Jim is to get a slightly damp foam applicator, use VERY little SG, do a fender and wipe off, they move on to a door etc etc.... Wipe on/wipe off.... And then repeat again the next day !! Works like a charm.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I just tend to avoid SG altogether !!
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. Patrick
    I just tend to avoid SG altogether !!

just curious as to why?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, #1, I dont need its durability, I enjoy cleaning my cars monthly (At least thats what I try to do). That cleaning usually involves another coat of protection anyway, be it in a spray or liquid version.

2. I didnt care for its looks.

3. I hated its user friendliness (With the exception of AIO which I find to be a wonderful cleaner)

4. The "now preferred" method goes against what I think are the manufacturers directions. I think that method is used for the fact that it is easier to remove and wont streak. Durability may suffer a little, but if thats ok with the user then i guess its accepted, and thats fine.

5. SG just didnt hit me as a striking product. I just didnt get that "wow" when I was completed.......Kind of like "All that work for what?"
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    you supposeed to remove it right away man
    Why did you leave it on for 2 days???
    I always let sealants dry for about 30min - 1 hour

Heh heh, I dunno...I`ve always had great results from letting SG set up at least overnight. And when I experimented with days-long setup times it worked just fine (even when I waited a *lot* longer than two days). Nothing wrong with leaving it on there for a long time before you buff it off, at least not in my experience. If anything, buffing it always got *easier* with more time, even when I used goofy-thick (at least for me) applications.

Malibu Jim- The problem *was* undoubtedly that you put it on too thick. Most people do.

I dampen the applicator with SG, just enough that it doesn`t "grab" on the paint (that`s a few drops). I apply it so thin that I can`t really see it on the paint (I go by feel). Far less than an ounce for our minivan, for instance.

I apply with a foam applicator. I never touch paint with terry, might mar it, especially lacquer.

Fogging the panels with your breath can make it easier to buff off the SG. But if it`s thin enough it really will buff off very easily.

Like Patrick, I too would use something other than the Klasse twins on that car. I don`t use Klasse on my single-stage cars; I prefer carnaubas. Especially on garage queens. Actually, I only use KSG on the minivan (for the durability).

A few other things: the Deep Crystal polish (Step #2) is really what most of us would call a "glaze". It`s nonabrasive and just leaves oils/etc. behind. Using the AIO after it results in the AIO cleaning off anything from the Deep Crystal, pretty much negating any benefit from it. The Deep Crystal Step #2 isn`t designed to clean, that`s the job of Deep Crystal Step #1. But the AIO is a potent paint cleaner anyhow and yeah, your Reflections has been cleaned off.

You might try either putting the wax on top of the Deep Crystal Step #2 or putting wax on top of the AIO. I`d probably try the former combination, I`m a big fan of glaze/wax combos on lacquer.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah i remove my sg within 20 minutes, even the ill have to breathe on many areas to be able to remove it, i think if i left it on for two days(like i completely forgot what i was doing and left the garage for 48 hours) id come back and use the same removal method, it doesnt always come off with just a mf. you sometimes need to fog it up. i love sg and will always use it, even if you dont need to ongevity why not add another protective layer and wax whatever you want on top of it every month.

Thread Information