Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys I searched and I know this is more bodywork related but hope someone can help.

How hard would it be to stop this? I figured, sand it down, spray rust inhibitor and paint over it? The wheel well looks harder. What you say?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well still searching and found a few threads like this

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread....rust+inhibitor

They have some good info!

Post Thanks / Like
    Once you start to sand that down, which will require a grinder, you will end up with holes that will need to be fixed. If this car is something you are going to want to keep you should cut out the panels and weld new ones in. If it is something you just want to look decent for a little long throw some fiberglass or body filler in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks bro, yes sounds accurate from what I have been reading. And with living in Chicago, the winter won`t be helping me .

I guess I will also have to use Corroless rust inhibiter from http://www.eastwoodco.com/

I will also see what my autobody guy says and how much it will run.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that`s serious enough that a DIY repair is unlikely to hold up very well/long. The stuff in the doorjambs you could probably get by with just a DIY repair using stuff from a company like EASTWOOD but that wheel arch stuff (which everyone can see) really oughta be fixed by a pro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Accumulator, I was buying this as a project or fun car. I will try and visit my guy and see how much it will run... I am not too fond of the color, but oh well haha...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolla
    Thanks Accumulator, I was buying this as a project or fun car. I will try and visit my guy and see how much it will run... I am not too fond of the color, but oh well haha...
    Keep us posted. When I had some rust on my old Civic I could not find a body shop to touch it. None of them wanted to deal with rust. I found one that would do it but only because I knew him and he did a custom paint on my truck a fews years before. He said he really did not want to do it but would do it to help me out. I decided not to do anything and just do it myself. It lasted about a year before it started to bubble through the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    Keep us posted. When I had some rust on my old Civic I could not find a body shop to touch it. None of them wanted to deal with rust. I found one that would do it but only because I knew him and he did a custom paint on my truck a fews years before. He said he really did not want to do it but would do it to help me out. I decided not to do anything and just do it myself. It lasted about a year before it started to bubble through the paint.

Interesting, thanks! Yes it all depends pending sale of the vehicle haha. I am waiting to see it in peron and then go from there.

Yes the bodyshop is someone I know, so will see what he says. Otherwise I will just kick it or add some racing stickers over it... Just kidding haha...

It would make a nice sleeper tho ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Rolla- If you haven`t already bought it, I`d pass. Project cars are a lot more fun when they don`t have the automotive equivalent of cancer. I`d rather deal with almost anything else myself, it`s just not economically feasible and you`ll have to always keep an eye peeled for reoccurrence. My first rule of buying beaters: no rustout.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh ok thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, just from watching shows like Overhaulin or American Hot Rod, rust that bad would need to be sandblasted out and new sheet metal put in its place.

So, unless thats a `56 Chevy its probably not worth it...

Post Thanks / Like
    There now good way to repair that rust without replacing the a-pillar and 1/4`s. You can`t stop the rust process - period. To replace the a-pillar the dash will probably need to come out due to welding.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Rolla- If you haven`t already bought it, I`d pass. Project cars are a lot more fun when they don`t have the automotive equivalent of cancer. I`d rather deal with almost anything else myself, it`s just not economically feasible and you`ll have to always keep an eye peeled for reoccurrence. My first rule of buying beaters: no rustout.

I second this post.
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Post Thanks / Like
    Definately a pass, if you dont own it. Like many of the others said blasting and grinding is the only way to truly stop it. Rust converters etc are a quick fix. Por-15 etc would work for you but you still end up with holes in the metal.

One thing alot of people dont understand, is that many cars can rust from the inside out. Something as simple as a leaky window scraper...can rust the bottom of a door out. Its the rust you cant see that can be more of a problem.

If you do own the car. I would buy a wire cup wheel for a grinder or drill if you dont have a grinder. Get what you can of the rust off, scuff the area and paint with POR-15. It isnt a permanent fix but will buy you some time.

Thread Information