Post Thanks / Like
    I just detailed both my cars fully yesterday, except the windows I haven`t touched. The last time I tried using Rain-X on one of them after a detailing job, I managed to smear around tiny spots of dried wax remnants that had fallen onto the windows. What an ugly mess...

Wondering what the pros (and experienced amateurs do) on their windows? Seems like I need something better than Windex to clean/prepare the surface before I can apply something like Rain-X...

I`ve read elsewhere I could use Coke (because of the carbonic acid?) or I could use very fine steel wool (0000 for finer)... any other ideas? Or is one of these the recommended procedure.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m also wondering about what the best product to use on my windows are as well. As of now I just use Invisible Glass and give them a cleaning but after the rainy season, there are streak marks like embedded on my front window, you know where the wipers go across? and yeah I want to get rid of the embedded streaks on the window itself. no amount of washing it has removed it so if anyone has any ideas. Also, what is the best way to get a very reflective look on the windows?

Post Thanks / Like
    i use one part white vinegar one part water that basically gets all the smeared stuff off, but i had a similar issue with my mobile truck that a detailed yesterday and i got wax and left behind rainx off with a nice think clean micro and stoner invisible glass, its amazing how much your windshield can contribute to the effect of a detail, and how easy it can screw one up

Post Thanks / Like
    For cleaning the glass I would recomend Stoner`s just from my own experience. Instead of RainX perhaps use some AIO if you have it. Some people has experienced wiper chirping after applying AIO but I`ve never had a problem with it.

Good uck and welcome to Autopia.

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend using S&W for cleaning glass. I already use this product for cleaning paint, leather, and vinyl, so it doesn`t make sense for me to buy a dedicated glass cleaner when S&W is so versitile, and cleans just as good if not better than Invisible Glass, Eagle One 20/20, or anyother glass product. Don`t get me wrong, these are good products, but with my routine I don`t see the need to have them. For someone who doesn`t have S&W, then I would say to use Invisible Glass, or Eagle One 20/20.

If you`re having a hard time removing dried wax or polish from your windows, try using 70% isopropyl alcohol full strength. Then go over it again with your glass cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stay away from the Coke and steel wool! Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose will polish, shine, and leave some wax protection behind. Any polish/cleaner that you would use on the paint can also be used on your windows to remove adhered particles or films, or an automotive glass cleaner for the usual dirt, etc. Just be careful, you CAN get swirls in your glass (that sand/dirt is hard), and you can`t really polish them out later.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use AIO and then FK425 after a wash.
    Ric
    3Dog Garage
    HOGtailing is my business

Post Thanks / Like
    Like setec said I use Vm or autoglym glass polish to get all the wiper marks and crpa off the windows and usually keep them clean with Sprayaway glass cleaner. I like it better than IG.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldnt touch the steel wool, I tried to get some waterspots off my sunroof last year, and If you shine a spotlight on it, or the sun hits it, you can see slight marring.

100th post :woot

Post Thanks / Like
    i used sprayaway for a while and had decent success with it, ig just seems to cover more glass imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t understand why so many people use a glass cleaner on the outside of windows. Why not just wash them like the rest of the car?

As for the inside, I clean my windows with a dry or damp MF towel. No chemicals needed.

After washing the car, I apply either Poorboy`s Spray and Gloss or Vanilla Moose to the glass.

And BTW, AIO will remove those wiper streaks.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    i usually use some clay on the windshield when clayying the car and then follow up with some aio

Post Thanks / Like
    clay bar and then stoner`s invisible glass
    - Aaron M

Thread Information