97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been reading how some will argue that to fully remove this type of contamination one must use a decontamination product like ABC, FinishKare, or something else. Is it true that clay will only remove the top portion of the contamination leaving the rest still imbedded in the clear/paint? Does it depend on how fresh/deep the contamination is?

Post Thanks / Like
    My experience with the FK1 decon system was very poor. I followed the directions completely, and even used the step2 three times, AND let it dwell for 8 minutes (each time) instead of the recommended 6-7 minutes. I believe they say to let it dwell for 6 minutes for average contamination, and 7 minutes for severe contamination or something. The stuff smells terrible, and I don`t believe it`s very safe for you or anything else.

I can say for sure that it loosened up the contamination, and made it easier to clay the car. But it certainly did not dissolve the contaminants, leaving a perfectly smooth, clean surface. That`s what I was expecting.

Decon was a big dissapointment for me. I`ll be sticking with clay.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Other product/other side of the coin here

I`ve only used the AutoInt ABC system, and I clayed while the acidic/"B" step was dwelling. On the vehicles I used it on, I`ve had *none* of the recurring rust-blooms that plagued many of my previous cars. Any new contamination seems to clay off and stay gone, so I believe I got all the embedded new-car-delivery stuff out of the paint with the decontamination system. Or else those vehicles weren`t contaminated in the first place and I wasted my time and money :nixweiss

And yeah, the fresher the contamination the more effective the system will be. I`d still give it a try though, at least you`ll know you did everything possible to solve the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah my Protege was over 6 years old already, and I doubt it had ever been waxed, and certainly not clayed. The whole car clung to water like a cactus. The contamination could have been sitting on/in the paint for years.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    White95max- Yeah, in your case I`d say it just gave the Mazda a good cleaning. Not that *that* isn`t reason enough to use the stuff It just couldn`t work its usual (new-car) magic.

Thread Information