Post Thanks / Like
    I`m new to detailing so what a good starter kit of everything i need to get... I just got a new m3 and would like to keep it in the best shape possible... Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like
    -learn how to wash correctly so you don`t mar the finish

-decent sheepskin mitts

-WW drying towels

-QD spray

-Clay

-paint cleaner

-sealant

-wax

-tire dressing

-PC

-a light polish, and a medium polish (also a heavy polish if your car needs it)

-pads/backing plate

-interior protectant

-glaze

-product removal towels, "dirty" towels, QDing towels

Fill in those category`s by search thru the forums and finding what you think will work well for you (as recommendations by people here are all personal opinion on what works for them). Having all those will get your car into awesome shape.
    2009 Montego Blue BMW 335i :woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    Neo, I thought he was asking about a pre-assembled kit he could buy, that would have everything he would need. Autopia Car Care has a couple of kits that might work for you, a wash kit and The Perfect Shine Kit and Autogeek has a whole selection of kits .

Post Thanks / Like
    I was looking for either a kit or just a list of things i need.... And where could i pick these up locally...

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck finding everything you need locally. Unless you live near one of the vendors commonly mentioned on this site, you will find a very small percentage of the items.

But if you`d prefer to just buy cheap items from the store like some people do, you can do that. Then we`ll see you next month with questions on how to fix the problems caused by those products.

Neothin`s list is pretty complete. A tire brush and wheel brush would also be good to have though. And you need two large buckets, so that you can wash with both. One for wash solution, one for rinsing out the mitt. I`d also recommend that you buy a GritGuard for the bottom of the rinse bucket.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Chemical Guys has a truly excellent kit here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by White95Max
    Good luck finding everything you need locally...But if you`d prefer to just buy cheap items from the store like some people do, you can do that. Then we`ll see you next month with questions on how to fix the problems caused by those products.

I have to disagree with that. The process is the most important. Sure, the boutique products can give superior results and longevity. But good technique combined with frequent use of OTC products should yield excellent results. You could do worse than going to Target and coming home with their "grit guard" bucket, Meg`s GC Wash, some Vroom mitts, towels, and dressings, and some NXT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fair enough. But I had this statement in mind: "I just got a new m3 and would like to keep it in the best shape possible".

Some of the better store-bought products are of fine quality, but IMO the best products are only available online. If I had a new M3, I would do everything I could to keep it show-quality all the time.
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Fair enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a bunch of maguiars ,stuff, gold car wash , the 3 step paint cleaner, polish , wax, and some quick detail spray and interior detailing spray... I also got some micro fiber towels and sheepskin towels and sheepskin mits and terry cloths.. Is it ok to use the terry cloth applicators for like the paint cleaner and polisher??? Also what do u do with water spots like if a sprinkler went off on ur car and u just want the water spots off how do u clean it quickly??

Thanks for the help i also got a tire cleaner and wheel cleaner... Wanted to wash my car tomorrow cause its gonna be nice outside so i had to settle for the OTC for today but will probably get some stuff online here soon...

Post Thanks / Like
    Terry or MF applicators are good for use with paint cleaners and polishes. They add a little extra bite to the product. Be advised that the Meg`s step1 and step2 are both non-abrasive, so while they can clean the paint, they will have little to no effect on swirls. The Step2 is a glaze, so it will fill in some of the swirls.

Are you referring to fresh beads of water from a sprinkler? Or actual hard water spots on the paint? With fresh water spots/beads, a quick shot of the quick detailer (QD) should wipe them right off. Only do this on clean or lightly dusty paint/glass though. Don`t try to clean off a bunch of dirt with QD. Hard water spots that have been on the paint for an extended period of time will be more stubborn, but try the Step1 with a terry cloth pad. Don`t rub too hard though, as terry cotton might scratch some soft paints.
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    The items you got will work well for maintenance. I prefer foam applicators but you can use terry cloth applicators for the paint cleaner and polish (which by the way is non-abrasive).

If you get sprinkler water on your car, wash it off with tap water. Dry it and then spray some quick detail spray on it and wipe off with the microfibre towel. Fold to a dry side and wipe again.

If you get dried water spots, make sure your car is clean, spray with QD and wipe off. If it doesn`t get the spots off, then use the paint cleaner.

Thread Information