Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    It was rainy outside and I had nothing to do so I washed my car inside my garage, the car was already wet from the rain so I added 4 capfuls of Meguiars NXT wash to each of the two buckets and started washing (rinsing well in between) and after when I was ready for rinse I backed it out into driveway and it was raining hard so it removed all the suds and then after I brought it back inside used a microfiber drying cloth and then sprayed some Poorboy`s QD and polished my wheels w/ Klasse AIO and 1 coat of SG is curing now. I also dressed my tires w/ Insane shine and after I was all done I did my interior just the simple vacuum, Stoners glass cleaner used on windows and some interior detailer from megs on the dash. Looks clean now, as soon as it stop raining I will back it out into the sun and get some picks

Once I was done w/ the car I had puddles of water in my garage so I just squegeed it out and let it dry I found a new thing to do on rainny days

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you ever tried QEW? I used some in the garage today for a wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, lots of us wash our cars in the garage frequently, me included. But QEW is the preferred soap for this purpose.

2 winters ago, I was also doing what you did. I used about twice as much soap as I would to wash the car normally, and took several buckets out in the garage with me. But without rinsing, the soap left a film on the paint, and terribly reduced the slickness of the paint.

QEW is much better...take my word for it.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by White95Max
    Yeah, lots of us wash our cars in the garage frequently, me included. But QEW is the preferred soap for this purpose.

2 winters ago, I was also doing what you did. I used about twice as much soap as I would to wash the car normally, and took several buckets out in the garage with me. But without rinsing, the soap left a film on the paint, and terribly reduced the slickness of the paint.

QEW is much better...take my word for it.

Ummm, he`s right :xyxthumbs I didn`t buy into QEW---i.e., I thought I would have horrible maring and swirls. There`s something in it, I`ll tell you that, because my finish wasn`t damaged at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just wish and dream it was easier/legal to have drains in our garages.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Manchester MI, and it is legal here. Not an easy retrofit tho, I`m sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    I just wish and dream it was easier/legal to have drains in our garages.

Funny you bring that up. I had a ton of lumber supplies delivered to my home for the basement finishing project I am starting next week. Anyway, a neighbor down the street came over as Lowe`s was off-loading $5,000 worth of crap for my basement. He asked about a drain in the garage. I said I didn`t have one. He smiled and said he could drill a 4" diameter hole into the ground and put a grid on it so the water would drain straight down into the gravel under my garage floor. He said that should be fine for wash water from cars, but nothing more.

I`m skeptical about that----what happens when it freezes and my floor cracks?

Thoughts on that?!?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Shumax - I`m pretty sure that would be highly illegal. That wastewater from your garage would drain straight through into the groundwater. Your intention may be solely to use the drain to get rid of water from washing your car, but the lawmakers know that people would be tempted to dump all kinds of things down their drains. Nobody would see it, so people would always feel that they could get away with it.

There IS a way of tracing groundwater contamination, so if a problem was discovered, the source could be pinpointed, and massive fines would surely result. We had to do this exercise several times in my hydrology class.

How much is a large city`s water supply worth?
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s easy to drill a hole, but not so easy to have the water go into it with no pitch on the floor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aiiee
    I live in Manchester MI, and it is legal here. Not an easy retrofit tho, I`m sure.

Tell me more:

Do you have well water with septic field or city water with sewer?

If septic, then aren`t you just poisoning your well possibly?

Post Thanks / Like
    Living in Naperville, I`m sure he`s on a city water supply.

If he were getting water from a well, the groundwater flow direction would have to be determined to see whether he`d be poisoning his water supply. If not, he`d just be poisoning the neighbor`s water supply instead.
    Paul...

Post Thanks / Like
    Where do you get this QEW wash, and I`d like to read more about it. The sights that I`ve been to don`t have it. Is QEW a type of wash or a name brand?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by White95Max
    Your intention may be solely to use the drain to get rid of water from washing your car, but the lawmakers know that people would be tempted to dump all kinds of things down their drains. Nobody would see it, so people would always feel that they could get away with it.

I have run this argument around in my head a few times as to why it would be illegal to have a sanitary sewer drain in your garage (storm drains would be obvious as they are not treated at all), and that doesn`t make any sense to me...if I wanted to dump oil or paint down my sanitary drain without anybody seeing, all I have to is go in my basement and do it. I suppose with a drain in the floor, there would be more of a temptation to drain it out of my car right onto the floor, instead of into a pan and then take it inside, but unless you could get the car right over the drain, that would make a heck of a mess. Maybe more realistic would be people Gunking their engines and washing that off into the floor drain, but how many times could you do that in a residential setting? And engines just don`t get as dirty as they did in the old days.

There`s certainly tons of salt and oil and brake dust that gets washed off the roads into the storm drains, so I don`t really understand why so many locales ban a sanitary drain in the garage, but I know they (the local sewer authorities) read us the riot act at work about getting any oil in the (sanitary) effluent, so I guess even though people can pour stuff down their sink any time they want, they don`t want regular incidental gas/oil/etc. mucking up the sewage treatment plant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I mean while I washed my car I also washed my garage floor after I did two jobs I also made sure to let it rinse well and trust me it was raining so hard everything was nearly flooded I dryed then used from PB QD+ looks great.. too bad its still sitting there cuz theres snow outside oh well..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foxbody
    Where do you get this QEW wash, and I`d like to read more about it. The sights that I`ve been to don`t have it. Is QEW a type of wash or a name brand?????

QEW = ProtectAll Quick and Easy Wash.

http://www.protectall.com
    Paul...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information