Post Thanks / Like
    My motorcycle is being pinstriped Friday. Wednesday I`ll bring it outside and wash it with soap and then Klasse AIO. I want to put a coat of Klasse Glaze after he is done. How long should I wait to coat the new paint?

Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    While plenty of people would just do it right away, I`d still wait for at least a month. I`d imagine that`s a pretty thick application of single stage enamel and I`d want it to get as hard as possible so it can withstand future polishing.

Anybody know enough about pinstriping to say different? I`m certainly open to being corrected on this but when in doubt I`d err on the side of caution.

Post Thanks / Like
    nice bike!

and you even have more trunk space than my car.
    I don`t want my LSP to last... detailing is my therapy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ceiol
    nice bike!

and you even have more trunk space than my car.

:LOLOL Thanks, it still impresses me at times. I thought 2 helmets were my limit, until last Friday when I fit 2 cases of beer! And that didn`t include the saddlebags.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t Klasse cuz` your pinstripper needs to get a good bite on the paint. He`ll just have to take it off. The pinstriping will have a dull color and a raised edge. You don`t have to worry as much about the cure time, but I`d wait at least two weeks and a month is just so much safer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by az57chevy
    Don`t Klasse cuz` your pinstripper needs to get a good bite on the paint.
    By Klasse"ing" I meant washing just to clean off the paint. Still no? Would a vinager washing be of any advantage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Heh heh now I`m all confused!

Are we talking about *before* or *after* the pinstriper does his thing?

Are we talking about washing with shampoo/etc. or using Klasse products such as AIO/SG?

The painter will need a "bare" surface to paint on. You can wash fresh paint with a wax/sealant-free shampoo and you could use vinegar if you thought there was a reason to do so. I`d expect the painter to go over the area in question with a solvent anyhow.

You shouldn`t wax/seal fresh paint until it finishes curing, which can take a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Heh heh now I`m all confused!

Are we talking about *before* or *after* the pinstriper does his thing?

Sorry, didn`t mean to confuse you.

I wanted to make the bike`s surface as clean as I could to give him a good slate. I thought the AIO was a paint cleaner and would help the pinstripe paint adhere better. I planned on soaping it down with wash real good & then going over it again with a capful of AIO and a clean bucket of water like it says on the bottle. Not to wax the bike with AIO. Or maybe just going over the bike with a white vinager wash solution would work out better?

I definately didn`t plan on putting any topcoats of wax until much later, after the new pinstriping has gotten a chance to settle in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edonthenet
    Sorry, didn`t mean to confuse you.

Heh heh, sometimes that isn`t too hard to do

I wanted to make the bike`s surface as clean as I could to give him a good slate. I thought the AIO was a paint cleaner and would help the pinstripe paint adhere better. I planned on soaping it down with wash real good & then going over it again with a capful of AIO and a clean bucket of water like it says on the bottle. Not to wax the bike with AIO...

OK, now I`m with you. Don`t use the AIO this way, it`ll be sorta the same as "waxing" the bike with it.

I`d wash it and then strip off any protection that might be on there with rubbing alcohol or 3M Adhesive Remover or (best choice IMO) a proper pre-paint cleaning solvent such as PrepSol (available at autobody/paint supply places). The painter will probably use this anyhow, you might just call him up and discuss this whole thing with him.

IMO the vinegar won`t clean as well as a solvent or even the rubbing alcohol, so unless you have a specific reason to use that, I`d stick with the other choices.

Thread Information