Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot the exact name, but Michelin has a wheel and tire cleaner out now that supposedly uses solvents instead of acids to clean wheels. Has anyone tried it? Any reviews? I did a search but didn`t find anything.

2007 Dark Grey V8 4x4 4Runner

Post Thanks / Like
    I use it, never had to on wheels, but on tires it does well. Its pH is right at 7. It cleans white walls, at least mildly dirty ones, effectively. Once my Mothers Tire and Rubber Cleaner is gone this will be its complete replacement.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try this link. I did a search and any thread title that has the word "Michelin" in it is listed. You`ll be able to find some that pertain to your question including a review w/ pics regarding the wheel protectant.

http://autopia.org/forum/search.php?searchid=292050

Here`s another link that has some other info:

http://autopia.org/forum/search.php?searchid=292057
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    I found the Michelin tire cleaner in a 33 oz size for $2.99 at Big Lots. It was in a clear bottle and was yellow in color which was different from the bottle I bought at Auto-Zone.

I`ve found the tire cleaner to be not very strong at all. It won`t even knock a dent in light brake dust even based on my experience. It`s not much better on tires even with scrubbing. The only reason I bought it again was I thought it might have been a different formula and had been improved. You sure won`t have to worry about it screwing up the finish on your wheels though.

I LOVE the tire dressing. It has a nice low gloss shine to it! It`s one of my favorites.

The wheel protectant leaves a nice finish, but it hasn`t helped me much either. As a matter of fact, I swear it makes my brake dust build-up worse. I don`t know why, but it sure seems like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using it for about 6 months. It`s very mild, has no odor and is a moderate strength cleaner. The product works well butI won`t but it again; the Griot`s in a gallon size is a better value and may offer slightly more cleaning horsepower. Both are wheel cleaners you never have to worry about long-term damage.

Of all these Michelin products:

I really like the brake dust repellant and the tire shine. They`re both unique products.

(FWIW, I am a dedicated wheel cleaner user at every wash.)

These Michelins products are all mild and have no odor.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Its nice to see some mild cleaners sold OTC, instead of the Nuke in a bottle like some of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    if you seek mild, this is the ticket!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the links and reviews!

(BTW, I read about 20 threads doing a context search for Michelin and Wheel - nothing that came up in my search was what I was looking for)

2007 Dark Grey V8 4x4 4Runner

Post Thanks / Like
    I found all three of them at Big Lots for $2.99 each and tried them out as well. My biggest issue was trying to reduce brake dust on my painted aluminum wheels. I carefully masked one half of both front wheels, apllied two coats of the brake dust repellant and drove around for a week - no noticeable difference in dust rejection. Another week later when I cleaned the wheels, hoping a straight blast from the hose might clear the treated side, but no difference. I`m hoping that it will keep brake dust from gluing itself on or pitting, so I use it about once per month.

The wheel cleaner seems to work the best when applied to dry, cool wheels, I found that I use it with every wash and the dust comes off with a quick wipe. Definitely mild, I can leave it on for 5 minutes and not worry about etching. Haven`t tried it on any nasty baked on wheels, so I can`t comment there.

The tire shine is not very shiny, sometimes that`s the look I`m going for and reach for it first. It seems to soak into the rubber and last for a while, relatively matte finish.

Thread Information