Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Which of these two products, Meguire`s or Mothers cleaner wax would be better to use under Collinite 476s or Collinite 845?

By the way, where can I buy Collinite?

Post Thanks / Like
    If that is the route you have to take, both are good but Mother`s Cleaner Wax seems to be more vibrant in my opinion. Meguiar`s Cleaner Wax on the other hand is so widely available and it does a good job that it`s hard to put down.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    What the heck is a cleaner wax, anyway? I have some Mothers which came with the clay bar. I plan to put some polymer sealant on the car. Is the cleaner wax supposed to replace the paint cleaner and wax/sealant?

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s a carnauba wax that gives a slight polish as it is applied. Makes for a one-step product for the general consumer.
    Will

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by truzoom
    If that is the route you have to take, both are good but Mother`s Cleaner Wax seems to be more vibrant in my opinion. Meguiar`s Cleaner Wax on the other hand is so widely available and it does a good job that it`s hard to put down.

Agreed totally. I like the "cleaning" ability of Meguiar`s better, but the look of Mother`s is hard to beat when it comes to a "basic, consumer-grade" cleaner wax. Honestly though I think Meguiar`s Mirror Glaze #66 Quick Detailer is the best one-step I`ve found.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey white 330, what sealant are you planning on? I have a TiAg 330 and it looks good with Mothers FX. I tried the Mothers products after I used the cleaner wax that came with the clay on another of my cars and it looked very good. I liked it better than the OTC Zymol wax or Meguiars GC. I have not used the Meguiars cleaner wax though.

Collinite can be found in the marine section at Advance Auto. Two out of three stores in my area carry it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d say Mothers is better, seems to be a little deeper in apperance and lasted 2 1/2 months on my truck. Plus it is super easy to use and makes a good one step to hide some defects and cleanses the paint too (got rid of clear coat staining).
    1970 Camaro RS
    2013 Optima SX
    2005 Escalade Platinum
    2000 Integra GSR

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote name=`truzoom`]If that is the route you have to take, both are good but Mother`s Cleaner Wax seems to be more vibrant in my opinion. Meguiar`s Cleaner Wax on the other hand is so widely available and it does a good job that it`s hard to put down.[/QUOTE

The reason I am thinking about taking this route is because it was suggested on this website (using Megs or Mothers cleaner wax then top with Collinite). My truck is new and doesn`t need a lot of polishing but I wanted to polish it a little before putting Collinite as a topper. At this point, I don`t believe my truck needs a heavier polish like AIO. I`m just looking for some really good OTC products and Meguire`s, Mothers, and Collinite seem to be highly regarded by others here. I also wanted to break it down a little more by getting input as to which product people here thought was better (Meg or Mothers).

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why not just use a "pre-wax cleaner?" Both Mothers and Megs have one. In the states, both are fairly cheap. I think you`d be able to get better results using dedicated products rather than an all-in-one followed by a pure wax.

As to the 2 brands of cleaner wax, in my experience with them, Mothers doesn`t change the look of the finish too much. When you`re done, it looks clean and shiny. It does address minor marring (washing marks etc.) fairly well. Megs darkens the paint a bit, and (to me) looked a little wetter/glossier. It can also blend in marring, but I found Mothers to be a bit better at this.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try Colorx-good cleaning ability and looks great under 845 :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 06E90
    Hey white 330, what sealant are you planning on? I have a TiAg 330 and it looks good with Mothers FX. I tried the Mothers products after I used the cleaner wax that came with the clay on another of my cars and it looked very good. I liked it better than the OTC Zymol wax or Meguiars GC. I have not used the Meguiars cleaner wax though.

Collinite can be found in the marine section at Advance Auto. Two out of three stores in my area carry it.

I bought Mothers FX. The consensus on these boards seems to be that it gives great results but does not last as long as Zaino or Klasse. OTOH, it is supposed to be really easy to apply. I don`t mind doing a coat a little more often if it is less work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi71
    Which of these two products, Meguire`s or Mothers cleaner wax would be better to use under Collinite 476s or Collinite 845?
    I`ve tried both and like them both. As mentioned, Megs will darken the paint some (Megs signature) but Mothers is shinier and lasts longer.

Since your topping it with something else, BigLeegr`s advice is very sound. You really need a dedicated cleaner before your LSP. Just because your car is new, it doesn`t mean its not full of bonded contaminants like mine was.

At the very least, a new car needs - claying, light polishing, then waxing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by White330
    I bought Mothers FX. The consensus on these boards seems to be that it gives great results but does not last as long as Zaino or Klasse. OTOH, it is supposed to be really easy to apply. I don`t mind doing a coat a little more often if it is less work.

Yeah, that`s why I have a bottle of FX in the garage - I don`t care about doing it slightly more often than I would with Zaino or the Klasse twins.

Then again, I just 845d the other day, so it`d be a shame to screw up that awesome water beading so soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody
    Try Colorx-good cleaning ability and looks great under 845 :2thumbs:

Yes it does!!! I just used this combo on my "beater." It looks all kinds of glossy and it`s SLICK too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I get my Collinite Producst at www.waxbytes.com

I`ve never seen it in the stores in the Baltimore area (though most of the stores don`t carry the stuff you guys recommend).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information