Post Thanks / Like
    I have a PC and used IP with polishing pad and realized its not that aggressive even though it removed all swirls. I want to attempt to remove some tiny spec like pitting that I discovered on my black car. Can I use IP with a more aggressive pad like Sonus SFX-1 instead of their mid-grade polishing pad without marring the finish ? Is the SFX-1 pad considered a cutting pad or not really ?

Post Thanks / Like
    you need a rotary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillystyle
    you need a rotary

I`ve read many posts of successful IP usage with a PC but wanted info on differences between a polishing pad and cutting pad ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you can use IP with a cutting pad, and it should be more aggressive that way. You may be left with a light haze after using a cutting pad (depends a lot on your paint, your technique, etc.); if so, just go back over the area using IP and a polishing pad, or an even finer polish such as FPII, to clear the haze and bring up the gloss.

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    Would it be better to move up to PowerGloss instead of IP with cutting pad ? Could I use PG with a polishing pad or is it not made to be used like that ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mpmiller37
    Would it be better to move up to PowerGloss instead of IP with cutting pad ? Could I use PG with a polishing pad or is it not made to be used like that ?

well power gloss is a compound, not sure what color your vehicle is but I doubt you`ll have great results using the power gloss with a polishing pad. you wouldn`t want to use power gloss with a porter cable either... definitely going to need the circular buffer.

have you tried this pad?: Constant Pressure Orange Power Pad... had good results with that pad and the instensive polish on lighter jobs. still the best all around way to go is to cut with using a circular buffer and polish with your porter cable and the final polish II... followed by a coat of the FMJ. good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even moving up to PG with the a polishing pad you are still going to have to go over the area again with a lighter polish or IP with a polishing/finishing pad to remove the hazing. As mentioned above it will depend on your paints hardness ect but I have a sneaking feeling that you will have to go back over the area with a lighter polish to bring the gloss back up after using a harsh compound and/or a cutting pad. Those little pits are annoying, I too have have them on my hood. I dont bother getting rid of them anymore because if it is a daily driver they are just going to reappear quickly due to driving and sand/stones/debris hitting the front end. Are they just on your hood and the front of the car or are they all over?

I think you could have success with PG and the PC it will just take some time to use but it for sure can be done. A rotary will be faster but a PC I think can do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d try IP with a cutting pad first, then try PG or another heavy polish if necessary. You might be able to use PG with a polishing pad (I`ve never done it), but I think it would take quite a while to break down that way.

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    The car is black and the pits are not just on the hood but also on the trunk so it must be some kind of fallout, acid rain whatever that affected the car, as its only 3 years old. Didn`t even notice them until the finish was polished for the first time about 3 months ago. I do realize that if I use something stronger, I will need to go over it again with milder polish. I have used IP and FP II on it so far, both with polishing pad.

Thread Information