Post Thanks / Like
    Ok here goes what should be done first. I want to protect my finish which is black. I have read that sealants are the best for this but can find klass sg in my area. So I thought about a polish, but can you put a wax on after a polish. What I want to know is after I wash it what should I do next sealat or polish than wax the truck is about three weeks old and I have the clearcoat protection from the dealership.

Thanks for your Help

Post Thanks / Like
    Sealants are better for black cars because of the heat produced on the dark paint. Waxes are less resistant to high heat.

Polish, then use a sealant or wax. It`s up to you, but as I said, the sealant will be more durable. And SG isn`t the only sealant. There are tons of sealants that you could use. I prefer the online ones, so it doesn`t matter where you`re located. You can always have them sent to you.

The dealer protection is merely a cheap wax that they overcharged you for. You`ll know better next time.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Black looks best with carnauba wax on it. But as White95Max mentioned, wax doesn`t last as long as synthetic sealants.
    A well-prepared surface will make any wax look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    RamBlack- Collinte waxes last a long time, are pretty user-friendly, and work fine over any polishes I`ve ever tried. Often available at autoparts stores too. They do the "self cleaning" thing pretty well too, which can be helpful on black.

Many polishes will cut through/remove the dealer-applied stuff. No big deal IMO, but you might try just applying the Collinite over top of whatever`s on there now. If the paint looks good now that`s probably what I`d do, especially with winter coming on. Even if winter isn`t an issue in your area, why do more than is necessary?

I`d be more concerned about the washing, that`s where you`re likely to mar the paint. I`d get a foamgun and some very soft WW MFs and work on wash technique.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    RamBlack- Collinte waxes last a long time, are pretty user-friendly, and work fine over any polishes I`ve ever tried. Often available at autoparts stores too. They do the "self cleaning" thing pretty well too, which can be helpful on black.

Many polishes will cut through/remove the dealer-applied stuff. No big deal IMO, but you might try just applying the Collinite over top of whatever`s on there now. If the paint looks good now that`s probably what I`d do, especially with winter coming on. Even if winter isn`t an issue in your area, why do more than is necessary?

I`d be more concerned about the washing, that`s where you`re likely to mar the paint. I`d get a foamgun and some very soft WW MFs and work on wash technique.

Accumulator is ohhhh so correct! I am learning more and more about washing. Have the foam gun. Will work harder at non marring techniques. The better I have become at correcting my mistakes the more I have realized that with better techniques the correcting would not be necessary.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like
    I would highly recommend the Autopia book as a great starting point :xyxthumbs

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RamBlack
    Ok here goes what should be done first. I want to protect my finish which is black. I have read that sealants are the best for this but can find klass sg in my area. So I thought about a polish, but can you put a wax on after a polish. What I want to know is after I wash it what should I do next sealat or polish than wax the truck is about three weeks old and I have the clearcoat protection from the dealership.

Thanks for your Help
    I would highly recommend you consider buying your car care products on-line. You will find better prices and much much better selection than you would at your local auto parts store. There are many to choose from, but all the sponsors of this website are great.

Also, I noticed you mentioned that you bought the clear coat protection from your dealership. I`m just curious what it was that sold you on this as you seem to be someone willing to put in the effort to care for your car yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would like to mention that anything you do on your own will most likely void your warranty with the dealership crap they put on. Besides, like what was mentioned before, most polishes will remove what the dealer put on. It`s your call.

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you haven`t already read it, there is another thread going on right now about dealership coatings. Most detailers and enthusiasts agree they`re not worth the money.

Dealer Coatings

Post Thanks / Like
    Mikeyc I didn`t want the the clearcoat protection. The dealership I got it from did this in a package along with the fabric and vinyl. I only wanted the undercoating which they charged 499 for but charged 400 for all four. Its only for 5years on the clearcoat, fabric and vinyl. But the undercoating is a lifetime. It snows alot here and I wanted the undercoating. Now applying a wax or polish will not void warranty. Just want to know what to do first. Heres what I found out from Meguiars the company I plan on going with. Wash, Cleaner, polish than wax. Just have to find out were sealant goes. I will look for the autopia book and look it the the Dealer coating thread. Thanks to you all for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sealants and waxes are alternatives. You would normally use one or the other. You can think of a sealant as a kind of synthetic wax.

Some people use both, though I`m skeptical as to the benefits.
    A well-prepared surface will make any wax look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    The process should look something like wash-clay-polish-cleaner-sealant (optional)- wax (optional if you use a sealant). You can find the autopia eBook by David Bynon (Mr. Autopia himself!) at http://www.guidetodetailing.com
    2009 Montego Blue BMW 335i :woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, the Meguiar`s regimen is sorta specific to the Meguiar`s product line. If you want to put a sealant in the mix, it would go after the polish and before the wax. And I`d use a Meguiar`s brand sealant or it won`t bond well to (their) polish.

I`d do a bit of research (such as the e-book) before deciding what to do. There are pros and cons to going the Meguiar`s route.

Thread Information