Post Thanks / Like
    Whole part of Detailing is knowing chemistry, on what cleaners or Detailing products are made of and how chemicals react to things and to your health.

To know how to clean efficiently you have to know chemistry, knowing what cleaning agents do and what they are made out of, how to apply it, what dilution rate, dwell time. With all due respect most Detailers don’t know jack about cleaning chemicals because there hasn’t been anything writing up on it here on this BBS. There is a lot of thing to know about cleaning chemicals like pH level, toxic level, hazardous to mixing cleaning products together ect ect.

Have you ever felt tired, have you ever tried adjusting your eyes so you can see better? If so this is a sign of toxic levels of chemical/s in your body, not good. There is a lot of cleaning chemicals for Detailing that should be respected, especially bodyshop chemicals. A box of latex gloves is a most have, work in good ventilated area and try to void chemicals that can be bad for your health. There are a lot of good chemicals out there in the market and a lot of bad chemicals to use. Most of the good chemicals cost more $ but does a better job and also that is better for your health then those cheap cleaning chemicals. Well like say some of those all purpose cleaners that are on the market Wow its chemical warfare!

I’m not a educated guy but I been into professional cleaning for over 18 years and knowing your chemicals is vary important to doing a good job and keeping up on your health while using chemicals is a most! Treat all chemicals with the respect they deserve. Do an internet search on “cleaning chemicals†or a chemical name, try to have MSG sheets and understand the chemicals in it. Each cleaning chemicals product should have it`s MSDS sheet available for you to read on the Internet. When you order chemicals product request a msg sheet with it.

Everyone should go to a sauna to sweat out the chemicals in ones own body every so often, you not only think better but you can see better too.

SUPER

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point, that im sure no one considers on a daily basis......We had some "First Responder Training" from a Fire Dept Cpt, who told us that if you "smell" something, (and he was referring to product like Lysol, or other air fresheners) your smelling chemicals which as you said, are bad for you. So, next time the Tamale doesnt sit well, deal with it. Dont add perfume to the pig.
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the reason this doesn`t come up often is that most of us don`t use the cheap/dangerous chemicals. When we do come across caustic/toxic stuff, mostly it is discussed along with the specific product in a different context. Most of us aren`t sitting there thinking "This has C6H4Kr57 Oxymoxyproxopene-1-1-1 in it! One drop of this will convert normal cells into rapidly spreading cancer!!" -- we`re thinking "damn, this smells strong, better wear a respirator, or find another alternative to do the job." Dealing with chemicals in our context is something that requires more common sense than anything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Lil Detlr
    I think the reason this doesn`t come up often is that most of us don`t use the cheap/dangerous chemicals. When we do come across caustic/toxic stuff, mostly it is discussed along with the specific product in a different context. Most of us aren`t sitting there thinking "This has C6H4Kr57 Oxymoxyproxopene-1-1-1 in it! One drop of this will convert normal cells into rapidly spreading cancer!!" -- we`re thinking "damn, this smells strong, better wear a respirator, or find another alternative to do the job." Dealing with chemicals in our context is something that requires more common sense than anything else.

Dramatized just too far and no dealing with chemicals takes knowledge, being in the blind about chemicals is not a good thing when you use chemicals all the time.

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Super
    Dramatized just too far and no dealing with chemicals takes knowledge, being in the blind about chemicals is not a good thing when you use chemicals all the time.

I disagree, and frankly I think you`re approaching it it with a bit too much of a "better than thou" attitude.... I`m not a chemist, but I know what works, and how to use it safely. That`s all that really matters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Read and respect the labels :geez
    cor·vette : [ kôr-vt ]n. 1. A fast, lightly armed warship, smaller than a destroyer, often armed for antisubmarine operations.

Post Thanks / Like
    So what exactly is the point of your thread?
    Ric
    3Dog Garage
    HOGtailing is my business

CIXELSYD
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know that FK1 provides MSDS Hazard Ratings . . . but clearly I’m not drinking APC on the rocks or sucking on a tube of paint sealant. Like all things in life, it’s about reading the instructions and using common sense.

On a side note, I do employ the use of latex gloves, eye protection, and respirator. I’m neither a professional detailer nor a chemist :chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    There are products on the market with pleasant citrus odors that are marketed as being eco-friendly, etc, but in fact they contain hazardous chemicals that should be treated with respect.

Reading the labels doesn`t always give you the full picture as sometimes they downplay the hazards. There are wheel cleaning products containing hydrofluoric acid, yet they never spell out just how nasty it can be.
    A well-prepared surface will make any wax look good.

Thread Information