Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all, I`m new here. I`ve been lurking around here for about a month now. I`ve been serious about detailing cars for about half a year now? I`ve been using all meguiars products for the most part, because he is a friends with my dad. Some of the products I have noticed just do not work, and so I`ve been shopping around and reading a lot of reviews, and I figured I would just ask you guys. Im thinking of spending around $300 for everything.

Here is my lineup of products (all meguiars):

- Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo

- Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax

- Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner (DC#1)

- Deep Crystal System Polish (DC#2)

- Deep Crystal System Carnauba Wax (DC#3)

- Quik Detail #33

- Quik Wax

- Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner

- Hot Shine Tire Spray

- ScratchX

- All Metal Polish

- Mother`s Clay Bar

- Folex Carpet Spot Remover

Equipment:

- Coleman 10" Orbital Waxer/Polisher (30 bucks at kragen)

- MF, Cotton, and Wool Bonnets

- Lots of MF Towels for an assortment of uses

- Bath Towels for drying

- Wash Mit and Sponge for washing

Ok, so things that really kinda worry me are some swirls and other stuff that I have noticed havent been removed. This worries me, because the DC#1 says that it removes swirls and light scratches. I dont have many scratches and they are all very light, still there.

My current process for a complete detail is:

- Wash & Dry

- Vac

- Clay bar

- Paint Cleaner

- Polish

- Wax

- other small things like plastic, rubber, wheels, etc.

I`ve been hearing a lot about the Porter Cable orbital buffer... here is what I`m looking at to get with the money I`ve saved up:

- PC 7424

- Some kind of swirl remover/ medium/light-cut cleaner

- Klasse All-in-one Polish/Cleaner

- Some type of carnauba wax

My main concern right now is getting rid of swirls (i have light swirls, not major ones). So what is your opinion on the products that I should get? I want to do it right the first time.

PS: Thanks in advance for reading this and answering my questions!!
    - Aaron M

Post Thanks / Like
    The paint cleaner is somewhat of overkill if you clay and polish.

I would look at some Autopia PC kits to get some ideas on what you need to spend. Maybe look at some DACP for the swirls. But, a pic would be helpful to see what you are dealing with.
    Ric
    3Dog Garage
    HOGtailing is my business

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no specific answer to your questions. Only research and product usage will tell you which products are right for you.

The PC with some quality pads is a good place to start. I`ve had good success with Lake Country pads. Also look into Propel, Sonus, and Meguiar`s pads.

Tons of polishes out there. I use Zaino ZPC, Menzerna IP and FP, Poorboy`s SSR 2.5, Einszett Paint Polish, Klasse AIO, etc.

A good start for carnauba wax is S100 (same as P21s). It offers 95-99% of the results of the best carnauba out there and can be picked up at your local Harley Davidson store for less than $15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaneO
    There is no specific answer to your questions. Only research and product usage will tell you which products are right for you.

:werd:

-Justin
    "God made turbo lag so V8`s could keep up!"

Resident of Detail City travisdecpn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to invest in some WW towels for drying and drop the bath towel method. This will eliminate the potential of the swirls coming back after you complete your detail. As far as polishes #83/80 has always been a good combo for me, not the most user-friendly, but the results are worth the effort. PB SSR`s are also a good line of polishes that are very user-friendly and offer great results. Poorboy`s World also makes Nattys which is a great wax for about 15 bucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi adept, :welcome to Autopia.

You can step up to the next level without switching away from Meguiar`s. You`d just need to switch to other products/lines within the Meguiar`s range. (Not trying to talk you out of trying other brands, just pointing out that there`s still a lot more you can do with Meg`s.)

Looks to me like you can add significantly to your capability without having to change everything all at once.

You`ve already got the PC in your plan, that`ll be the big "enabler". It will allow you use products and do things far beyond what you`ve done to date.

I agree with travisdecpn on the waffle weave microfiber towels for drying.

You didn`t mention if you`re using two buckets for washing. If not I`d recommend it. Grit Guards too.

On the chemical end I`d also agree that #80 Speed Glaze and #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish will do job of "swirl remover/ medium/light-cut cleaner" you`re looking for.

For a wax, #16 (if you can find it), #26 or NXT are great choices but you`ll be surprised how well the DC #3 will work once you`ve got it polished with the #80 or #83.

I haven`t used AIO, but it`s obviously very popular around here, definitely worth checking out. For a one-step from Meg`s you could consider ColorX, #6 or #66.

Quote Originally Posted by adept
    ...Ok, so things that really kinda worry me are some swirls and other stuff that I have noticed havent been removed. This worries me, because the DC#1 says that it removes swirls and light scratches...
    I hear you. DC#1 is a chemical only cleaner. I wouldn`t even consider it for anything with any swirls at all (If it were up to me that label copy would be retired). ScratchX works for swirls but I only use it for spot work. Any significant area takes too much work. That`s what the PC is for.

You say Meguiar`s is a family friend. Do you mean your local Meguiar`s dealer, Or like, Barry? I you`re in the Meguiar`s neighborhood they have free Saturday detailing classes. You could get the 411 on any Meg`s products in person.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    adept, when I first viewed the thread it didn`t show your location, now I see you`re in Irvine. Since you`re local I`d definitely suggest checking out Meg`s in person.

This Saturday`s class is a Vette club so there may not be extra space but it couldn`t hurt to try.

This Sunday there`s an "Open House" for Meg`s online forum members. Sign up and come on down!

PC.

Thread Information