Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question for you guys who use extractors.

I have the opportunity to get a small, non-heated, 2.5 gallon portable spotter with a 1.5hp, 55psi, 104 CFM 91" water lift. It`s rather cheap, new in the box. It wouldn`t be used on a professional level as far as frequency of use is concerned.

How much more of a powerful suction and cleaning ability is that than a top performing ShopVac or Ridgid?

Or, would the regular vacuum do as good a job at extracting the ground in dirt in the carpeting?
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be interested in a good answer as well. :nervous:
    David

2008 MINI Clubman S

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as I know, if you have a relatively good shopvac, you`re getting somewhere between 60-85" of static water lift. It depends on how big your vac is. The biggest advantage to a unit designed to be an extractor would be a higher PSI sprayer for solution, and possibly the heating function (though you didn`t mention that -- if it isn`t heated, don`t bother with it). Honestly I wouldn`t look at anything much less than, say, the Durrmaid mini heated extractors with 102" of lift and 65PSI... I believe a 3-stage motor as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a similar unit to the one you are describing. While I am sure it doesn`t perform as well as a professional grade unit, for me it was a huge improvement over first applying a separate wash solution and then sucking this mess up with a shop vac:

- Doing it as a 1-step is a huge time-saver

-The carpet and upholstery don`t get as saturated since the cleaning solution is injected and extracted at the same time and the moisture doesn`t get soaked up by the fabric backing.

-For vertical surfaces (e.g. seat backs) the extractor allows me to apply the cleaning solution and extract before it runs down the surface.

- The tool on the extractor is shaped better to seal on the fabric surface and achieve better suction where it counts.

Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just can`t believe the high price of the even the mini extractors. :sadwavey:
    David

2008 MINI Clubman S

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dr427
    I just can`t believe the high price of the even the mini extractors. :sadwavey:

They are up there. If you google around the web you can find the major players (Aztec, Duramaid) at price swings upwards of $100.00

Key thing to remember is that these items are marketed for professional use. A pro detailer or Carpet Cleaner can make his money back fairly quickly.

To have one around just for cleaning your own cars or maybe a small room in the house (they sell the floor attachments) is probaly overkill.

Thread Information