Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wanted to take a poll of a mild cleaner that everybody uses if they are just removing an lsp. let`s say that the finish is in nice shape no swirl removal being done and the paint is shiny w/o a lot of oxidation.. I will be trying out a few looks on my SUVS next spring and am taking a poll on what every body else does when trying a few lsps. currently I am using Z2 Pro and am very pleased with the durability. will be trying some EX on a black SUV and EX-P on a metallic indigo blue SUV. both are in nice shape no major swirls or marring at this time. I am happy with their condition but am going to try a few combos to see if there is something I like the looks of better for the summer. after washing and claying what would you guys go to for a prep ( other than AIO ) to get the finish ready for the EX or EX-P ? looking for something very mild, to remove the Z2pro and be ready for the lsp.both my rides have been done using ZPC on a white polishing pad and it worked great. I used to use AIO as a prep and was wondering what else you guys might suggest before Z2pro or EX, EX-P.I am really trying to err on the side of caution and not use the ZPC unless I need it . this is unless you think that I can get away with ZPC on a finishing pad to take away some bite. whatever product I am using it will be a twice a year routine. I liked the AIO before my lsp but the ZPC did a wonderful job. what are your very mild go to paint cleaners that will allow me to prep w/o worrying about using abrasives too much? what would you use OP , Sonus , Menzerna fp 2

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m a big fan of AIO! Just a teriffic product which I`ve been using for years. In my opinion, there really is no need to remove the Z2 Pro. Zaino products offer crystal clear optics which shouldn`t cause you any problems. however, if you do, AIO is all you need. If it`s a polish you`re looking for, you might want to give the Optimum Polish a try. Great stuff! As for the ZPC, I`ve still got a brand new, untouched bottle of it. I`m saving it for my new PC to arrive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkTac05
    I`m a big fan of AIO! Just a teriffic product which I`ve been using for years. In my opinion, there really is no need to remove the Z2 Pro. Zaino products offer crystal clear optics which shouldn`t cause you any problems. however, if you do, AIO is all you need. If it`s a polish you`re looking for, you might want to give the Optimum Polish a try. Great stuff! As for the ZPC, I`ve still got a brand new, untouched bottle of it. I`m saving it for my new PC to arrive.

I do love the Zaino for durability just want to try a couple of options for the spring and summer to see if I find something I like better. you are right about the AIO i use it all the time. guess I want to try another polish instead of AIO before the EX on black and the EX-P on metallic indigo blue unless the AIO works the best. the ZPC works like a champ but I like to limit the use of abrasives when I can. the OP sounds good but can it be mild and still remove an LSP and prep the paint well if used on a finishing pad ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out the 3m & Menzerna polishes. There`s lot`s of talk here about the quality & user friendlyness.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Menzerna final polish II is looking good and was hoping that some of the other members would chime in. looks like it is just you and me on this one lol! looking to see how the FPII, Sonus or OP would compare to AIO as far as abrasiveness. maybe these can used on a finishing pad ? want to comare this to the look and cleaning power of AIO on a LC white polishing pad. suppose I could order some of the stuff but that gets a little pricey. do not hear much about the Sonus cleaner even though it looks very gentle which is what I am after. would like a nice looking finish before the LSP. washed my black SUV yesterday after about a week of straight rain and it looks awesome with the Zaino. would like to explore a few other options before sticking with Zaino only. more interested in trying something else on the metallic blue SUV to get a little more metal flake showing. if it does not work out I have Zaino and it still will be my go to LSP for the winters we have here in Pa . durable as all heck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Step #1 doesn`t get mentioned here all that often as it`s a "consumer level" product, but it`s a good nonabrasive paint cleaner. Pinnacle`s Paintwork Cleansing Lotion is something I use on the Jag and it`s mild enough for the soft lacquer, only seems to cut off oxidized paint, not "healthy" paint.

But IMO after a winter in our neck of the woods you`re probably gonna need some kind of light marring removal anyhow. FPII or something along those lines. That`s a really mild product, I wouldn`t worry about overpolishing with something like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator, I appreciate the response. was looking to go the route of something like FPII. the meguiars looks possible but as you stated there will be a need for some marring removal in the Spring. looking for something that I will not have to worry about polishing too often. I like your posts as you do take into consideration that some defects are not worth removing . the FPII seems to leave a really nice finish. so far looks like 2 votes for FPII. do you feel the Pinnacle`s Paintwork Cleansing Lotion is suited what I am looking for and do you see any bonding issues with LSP`S?

Post Thanks / Like
    FPII is mild enough to polish CD`s to a perfect shine without marring by hand. It`s mild enough to finish Honda clear with a rotary and finishing pad. It`s mild enough that you could probably use it by PC without even thinking about it. It`s mild enough....... I`m sure you get the point.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flatstick
    ... do you feel the Pinnacle`s Paintwork Cleansing Lotion is suited what I am looking for and do you see any bonding issues with LSP`S?

I`m not sure. I have the older version of PCL and I hear it`s changed a little. I use it before carnaubas and/or to clean the paint before I decide which (abrasive) polish to use. So I dunno if it`d cause bonding issues with sealants. It does leave a *little* something behind, but whether or not it`d cause trouble I can`t say. It does leave a "squeaky clean" surface though.

When in doubt, I`d assume it *won`t* work

But yeah, if you like the FPII I`d just plan on using that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    FPII is mild enough to polish CD`s to a perfect shine without marring by hand. It`s mild enough to finish Honda clear with a rotary and finishing pad. It`s mild enough that you could probably use it by PC without even thinking about it. It`s mild enough....... I`m sure you get the point.

Do you prefer a polishing or finishing pad when using FPII ? guess I could use a finishing pad if just removing an LSP figured I may need a polishing pad after this winter ( as Accumulator stated I will expect to see some marring, the winters are cold and snowy in PA) glad to see that this stuff is gentle. sorry for all the questions just just trying to pick everybody`s brain a little. seems the rage is over OP, what do you guys feel would be different between the 2 ? still open to suggestions will have this winter to mull it over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I`m not sure. I have the older version of PCL and I hear it`s changed a little. I use it before carnaubas and/or to clean the paint before I decide which (abrasive) polish to use. So I dunno if it`d cause bonding issues with sealants. It does leave a *little* something behind, but whether or not it`d cause trouble I can`t say. It does leave a "squeaky clean" surface though.

When in doubt, I`d assume it *won`t* work

But yeah, if you like the FPII I`d just plan on using that.

Accumulator

thanks for your replies, you seem to have some methods that from time to time differs from other users . your washing posts are thorough and give others something to think about, if not strive for. your posts, make me start to think outside the box. I am trying not to get sucked into the what`s hot craze. just looking to grab some ideas and make a choice.we should try to use information from other people who have tried products that we have not. this makes me us a little more diverse I feel.

hope this all makes sense and I am not rambling ,if so I am sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a finishing pad with the rotary and polishing pad with the PC. I`m sure you could use the finishing pad and the PC as long as you don`t really want much work done other than some slight burnishing and the LSP removal.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    I use a finishing pad with the rotary and polishing pad with the PC. I`m sure you could use the finishing pad and the PC as long as you don`t really want much work done other than some slight burnishing and the LSP removal.

Thanks for the speedy reply. was thinking along the lines ofwhat you said .just have not used the product and wanted somebody who had to confirm my possible usage.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would never change lsps during a waxing season. I would use one lsp for the duration of my wax period, and then re-clean and change the brand (if it were me).

Comparison testing, however, is different. Believe it or not, it isn`t the easiest way to judge a wax by comparing a small panel divided into parts. Wax has to be judged IMO based on how it takes to a particular color and car to see if it compliments the best. For me, that will mean cleaning, trying a wax on the entire car, re-cleaning and comparing a different wax. Using good digital photos while comparing wax qualities also helps.

But back to the subject: I will stick to one wax, and re-clean and start over before moving on to a different product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lbls1
    I would never change lsps during a waxing season. I would use one lsp for the duration of my wax period, and then re-clean and change the brand (if it were me).

Comparison testing, however, is different. Believe it or not, it isn`t the easiest way to judge a wax by comparing a small panel divided into parts. Wax has to be judged IMO based on how it takes to a particular color and car to see if it compliments the best. For me, that will mean cleaning, trying a wax on the entire car, re-cleaning and comparing a different wax. Using good digital photos while comparing wax qualities also helps.

But back to the subject: I will stick to one wax, and re-clean and start over before moving on to a different product.

Would agree with 100% on your comments. that is why I would like to try two new to me LSP`S and a mild cleanser . one combo on each SUV. this would be done in the spring . I can then compare how I feel it`s look and durability suit me. I am not one to try a new LSP every week or 2. I have been using Zaino for about 2 years and know how it looks and performs on my trucks. just want to try a couple of new products to see how they stack up. maybe I will like the new combos maybe I won`t. will not change my winter routine regardless of how the new products perfom during the summer. to be honest my main idea is to try a new mild cleanser / polish to avoid using heavy abresives too often. while I am trying a new cleanser/ polish why not try a new LSP ? my routine is Zaino twice a year, once in the spring once in the fall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information