97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    About using liquid fabric softner that is. My wife insists on using this stuff, but I don`t know how much longer I`ll be able to hold my ground. She likes the smell, and how everything feels when softner is used. I`ve told her when it comes to microfiber, using softner will clog the fibers, thus reducing the fibers to absorb or clean. If this happens to microfiber I can only assume it happens to regular cotton bath towels also.

So, my question is this: If I use liquid softner with my regular household laundry, and I dry the items in the dryer, will the clothes or towels leave softner residue on the dryer drum? This would mean that I`d have to clean the drum off before I dry my microfibers, which I don`t feel like doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is wax, softener that is. Maybe tubeling a load of towels at high heat would get rid of any softener residue. I would suggest trying something like Charlie`s soap which leaves no residue and needs no extra softeners. And my wife loves the smell of the Charlie`s soap which we have started using for al our cloths not just my MF towels.

Post Thanks / Like
    or you could do something like put your mf`s in a zippered pillow case then put it in the drier
    2001 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
    2003 Toyota echo (45mpg)
    2005 Scion TC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by III
    About using liquid fabric softner that is. My wife insists on using this stuff, but I don`t know how much longer I`ll be able to hold my ground. She likes the smell, and how everything feels when softner is used. I`ve told her when it comes to microfiber, using softner will clog the fibers, thus reducing the fibers to absorb or clean. If this happens to microfiber I can only assume it happens to regular cotton bath towels also.

So, my question is this: If I use liquid softner with my regular household laundry, and I dry the items in the dryer, will the clothes or towels leave softner residue on the dryer drum? This would mean that I`d have to clean the drum off before I dry my microfibers, which I don`t feel like doing.

Tell her it ruins cotton, the clothes no longer breathe the same and it also causes the clothes to show signs of wear faster- that is a fact! I have old underwear with lots of holes that were washed with liquid fabric softener, now that we don`t use the fabric softener, my underclothes last 2 times longer

Post Thanks / Like
    haha, only on autopia do grown men argue with their wives about doing laundry.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Picus
    haha, only on autopia do grown men argue with their wives about doing laundry.

Yeah, kind of sad hey? Actually I do all the laundry, but every once in a while the wife will sneak a load on me and use softner. So, im willing to give a little, but not if I have to wipe the dryer out every time. Do any of you or your spouse use softner with your regular household laundry?

Post Thanks / Like
    "we" use it on our laundry but NEVER with any "work" towels whatsoever and never have probs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha, I caught my wife using liquid fabric softner in the rinse cycle on tennis shoes she was washing! I was like why in the he!! is that needed for shoes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by III
    Yeah, kind of sad hey? Actually I do all the laundry, but every once in a while the wife will sneak a load on me and use softner. So, im willing to give a little, but not if I have to wipe the dryer out every time. Do any of you or your spouse use softner with your regular household laundry?

Well, if it makes you feel any better my wife usually does the laundry (minus my car towels) and she uses liquid detergent. I normally just dry my towels in a pillow case. I think someone above mentioned that.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    to get one up on a woman you have to think like a woman.

tell her you think you might be developing an alergy to something next time you put something on fresh out of the dryer and are casually itching your sleeve/knee/toe or groin will work really well if they`re shorts or underwear you put on.

then try to fake some red blotching on your body for the next time you come out of the shower. ;P give yourself an indian sunburn or something.

might be tough to pull off if she knows you well but worth a shot! ;P

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s never that big a deal for me.

Although I`ve heard all the arguments agains fabric softeners (and I`m not about to argue with Leo/DFTowel), I use them in our household laundry, which I do at least as often as Accumulatorette and she defers to my opinion on it anyhow.

I use *very* little on towels/washcloths and they absorb just fine. No smeary residue when used to clean eyeglass lenses so I`m not worried about whatever it puts on the towels. When I don`t use the softener my 100% cotton towels don`t feel as nice and yeah, I`ve tried a zillion rinses, vinegar, even washing with MicroRestore type detergents.

I use a bit more on clothing and other cotton textiles and it doesn`t wear it out or cause other problems.

I do the household MFs in the house washer/dryer and there`s no problem from any softener residue. I do occasional loads of cotton towels in the garage washer/dryer and the little bit of softener I use doesn`t contaminate my detailing MFs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Um, sorry if I`m stating something that was already stated, but why not just wash all your MF stuff in a seperate load? Most washers can adjust for a smaller load, so you aren`t wasting as much water. I usually do that because we wash clothes with normal powder detergent and I prefer liquid detergent for my MF stuff.

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ikellen
    Um, sorry if I`m stating something that was already stated, but why not just wash all your MF stuff in a seperate load?

I thought people would have assumed that already. I wash/dry my microfibers seperate from my household stuff. My original question was if I use liquid softner to wash my household things, would the softner get transferred to the drum of the dryer when they get dried.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by General Lee
    Ha, I caught my wife using liquid fabric softner in the rinse cycle on tennis shoes she was washing! I was like why in the he!! is that needed for shoes
    UUMM im going out on a limb here but maybee to do what its supposed to do.........SOFTEN FABRIC!....maybbe her shoes are to hard!! :LOLOL

Thread Information