Post Thanks / Like
    If I apply a QD (let`s say QS, for example) to my car which is waxed with Natty`s Blue, do I get the shine of the Natty`s Blue, that of the QS or some kind of combination? If I`m getting the shine of the QS then it would not matter what wax I had underneath, right? This would be similar to what I`ve read that most of the shine of a car is due to the LSP. However, if I`m getting the shine properties of the Natty`s then would I be better off putting on another layer of the NB? :nixweiss

So to summarise:

1) Is the shine after QD`ing mainly due to the QD or the underlying wax?

2) If it is mainly due to the QD, is the shine of a QD on a wax better than that of another fresh coat of wax?

Cheers..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by servo-15
    If I apply a QD (let`s say QS, for example) to my car which is waxed...

So to summarise:

1) Is the shine after QD`ing mainly due to the QD or the underlying wax?

2) If it is mainly due to the QD, is the shine of a QD on a wax better than that of another fresh coat of wax?

Cheers..

IMO you get a combination, but it`s primarily the underlying LSP. The little bit of shine/slickness/whatever the QD leaves behind can`t compare with the LSP.

Opinions as to the role of QDs are gonna vary, the following is just my take:

If in doubt, add another coat of wax. The only time *I* use a QD is for a little added pop when the wax is still looking pretty good but needs a little something, *and* I don`t want to expend the time/effort to apply another coat of wax.

I`ve been applying a QD like QS about every other time I wash Accumulatorette`s A8. It maintains a "just-waxed" look without having to do a full wax-job with #16. The #16 is still holding up fine, but this adds a little something on a regular basis.

If you consider your LSP *very* easy to use, I dunno if you`d ever need to QD it. On the Jag, which I use Souveran on, I *never* QD it, I just add more Souveran.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good question Servo.

Accum pretty much covered it. The only thing that I can add is that a QD will, IMO, reduce the longevity of a wax due to the light solvents in it. As such, I use it infreqently.

Most QDs add an ultra-thin layer of silicone which creates the gloss but soon degrades or washes off leaving the true look of your LSP. Until then, as mentioned above, its a combination of both.

Post Thanks / Like
    You could use a QD with carnuba in it like the stuff CG sell`s . It work`s very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use QD to remove any dust that has landed on the car during the time it is parked in the garage during the week, or after a wash when I dont have time to add another coat off wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richt
    I use QD to remove any dust that has landed on the car during the time it is parked in the garage during the week, or after a wash when I dont have time to add another coat off wax.
    Bingo for me also. I use for very light dust when I dont have time to wash and dry, and want to rejuvinate the underlying sheen and depth. Different QD`s give different looks. Its my belief it doesnt enhance, just brings back to life, your prep work results.

It provides the ability to clean and rejuvinate, without having to wash.
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also use to remove dust. I think it does leave something behind, but that depends on what QD you are using.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Z6 and my Cali duster once or twice a week, takes 10 - 15 minutes tops. Keeps the car sparkling and has cut down drastically on the time spent on full scale detailing assaults.
    2004 Nissan 350 Z Touring

Stock/Stock/AudiovoxNav/Stock

Post Thanks / Like
    My $.02. On my two cars which both have Zaino Z2pro on them, the QD after the wash, using Z6 or Z8 will bring back that super slick feeling the paint had after it had been clayed, and Zaino`ed. Usually IMO the paint looses that extra slipperly feel after about 2 weeks for me, which is usually 2 washes. So after each wash, a little Z6 and bang its right back to super slick town. :spot Once a month I use the Z8 as its more than just a QD.

Thread Information