Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, I just bought my first brand new car (2005 Subaru WRX Wagon). My car came with fine swirl marks from the dealer because they don`t know what they are doing. But neither do I. I was referred here by my suby forum, nasioc.com. Before this car I had an older subaru impreza and the paint was in horrible condition so I never really invested in proper tools/waxes to keep it up to par. I read all of the washing/polish/waxing pages in that autopia guide to start off.

I`m sure everyone likes their own products and I will have to find what works best for me. But what is a popular car shampoo/polish/wax. I have been doing some reading and Zaino seems to be popular. what about meguiars or mothers? or is all that stuff sold in stores crap. I already ordered some applicators/towels/wash mit and some sonus stuff, so i`ll have the proper tools now, i just need to get the proper products to apply. My car is white btw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, do you have a PC and a pad kit yet? Getting rid of swrils and scratches is a job for a PC or a rotary. A PC is much easier to use and very forgiving for a beginner. Have you downloaded the free detailing book from Autopia? There is a link sent to your email when you join Autiopia. As far as products yes there is a long list. If you could post some pics of the marring we would better be able to advise on a good course of action.

Post Thanks / Like
    PC stands for porter cable right? No i don`t have one, and I can`t afford one right now. I was hoping I could polish the swirls out by hand as they are not too serious. I have only noticed the swirls under the light in my garage and I cannot see them otherwise so I don`t think I will be able to take pictures of it. and again the car is brand new, only washed by the dealer, so it`s not like the car has years, or even months of abuse. I have downloaded the detailing book and read through most of it. I will re-read it again before I end up detailing my car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDrew06
    I was hoping I could polish the swirls out by hand as they are not too serious. .

if this method, you will only be temporarily "hiding" swirls not removing them

swirl removal is done by machine only.

Post Thanks / Like
    Detailing is about process so I would get a machine first then worry about products second. OTC products work just fine especially the two you mentioned, some of us like me like Zaino for the durabilty, instant cure, and other small subtle things, but you can get by just fine with OTC stuff. The equipment will set you back some so OTC stuff might be desirable if your on a budget, then start trying adding some of the boutique stuff slowly. If your not worried about any budget concerns let me know and I`ll give you the ultimate product for each detailing chore, in fact if that`s what you are after do a search on favorite products and you will get many peoples favorites.

I would start with this kit, or the other pad kit. I bought this machine from this vendor and I`m happy with it and the service. Also, email them and tell them your an Autopian member and see if they will give you some type of discount.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-daspol-kit.html

It looks like right know you get a free bottle of polish with the kit and also if you put the right coupon code you can try some other stuff free.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/tryaproduct.html

Good luck and welcome. This machine will not hurt your paint and is safe, as long as you dont drop it on your car, lol. Anyhow, I would first test your kit on an old hood from a junk yard or an old car, just to give you the confidence. The price of the kit is much less then what I charge for a detail myself, so you will save lots of money over time if you want the swirls removed.

Post Thanks / Like
    thankyou for your reply, I am going to purchase that kit right now! I keep ya posted on how my first polishing goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you should get the Sfx-1 since sfx-2 is free. Sfx-1 will cut those swirls and sfx-2 will clean it up nicely .

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    For OTC Mothers Reflections and Top Coat or Collinite 845

Thread Information