Post Thanks / Like
    I wish there was a retail store like PAC that sold high end supplies here on LI.

There are so many times I wind up not trying stuff or buying more than I need because of shipping charges. I know shipping prices do keep going up, and some of the merchants are smaller and need to recoup cost of packing materials, but it seems you always have to pay double the actual costs. I remember when I first switched away from Zaino because I didnt want to spend 8.95 for shipping a 12.00 item.

I wanted to pick up VM to try and found that everywhere I looked, I would pay 6-9 bucks for a $11 item. As much as I want to try it, I wont spend $20 to do it. Even the last vendor I know that used to charge "actual" shipping (a real popular site) recently charged 11.95 for 1 bottle of Powergloss and 1 bottle of Optimum. Even though the site says explicitly "To avoid miscalculations, we prefer to calculate freight charges by actual weight + distance (UPS Ground) unless otherwise instructed on the order form", based on weight distance and carrier, the charge for that package if I sent it would have been $4.25. And it was sent to me in a used, worn box, so I was not paying for new packing materials. I guess they too have changed theor policy and just havent updated the site with that info yet.

Im not trying to flame any one site in particular, just frustrated that the trend seems to be escalating. I wish more of the products we use and love could be more easily obtained over the counter here in NY. You could get them immediately whenever you wanted them, and could spend more of your money on products instead of shipping charges.

Post Thanks / Like
    At least you dont have to ship stuff overseas!

I know what you mean though when P&P is nearly as much as the product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Craigster, maybe you should open a store? But seriously, I think the volume is too small, and the required inventory too large for a viable "detailing" store. We have one here in NJ, which is geared to high volume shops (dealers, bodyshops, etc.), but they don`t really carry the "boutique" products you mention. IMO, the rise of sophisticated mailorder companies in the 70`s, and the internet in the 90`s, made it virtually impossible for small specialized brick-&-mortar stores.

If you could find a local speed shop or auto parts store, and convince him to carry some of those boutique products, that he likely would have to buy by the case, do you think he would be able to sell much more than a bottle or two to you? Would he have the right traffic to sell a case of 24 or 48 bottles of VM in a reasonable amount of time?

I`m not trying to give you a hard time, I have the same reservations about internet ordering sometimes, I`m just trying to be a realist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I have thought about it. Two good friends and business associates of mine (one with an AutoBody, one with a large Autorepair shop) have already discussed doing just that. I was thinking about perhaps a small lot of the most popular stuff (Poorboys, Zaino, 4* Optimum, Clearkote,Menzerna) and sell it through their store fronts. Not so much for a profit, but more as a service to all the good guys locally here who always have time to help out. If I can figure a way and at least break even, I will do it.

Heck, Sean and Patrick alone would probably keep the shelves moving....

Post Thanks / Like
    Gas prices rise so do the cost of shipping. It sucks but what can you do.
    "Life is not measured by the breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breathes away" :punk:

Post Thanks / Like
    Craigster, so you would buy the cases, and break them up to be sold at the counters of those people you know? Do you think you would be able to get distributor pricing on all of those products? If you couldn`t, would you buy at list price and then sell them OTC at a premium price (but one that would be less than +shipping)?

Lack of oxygen up here sQuashed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You will be paying rediculous shipping charges to get the products to your new store too. So in the end we as consumer`s will have to take a hit from your company one way or another.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    If we did it, all we would look to do is cover expenses, not make a profit. If I cant make it cheaper and easier than product+shipping I wouldnt bother. But both my friends already have the space and customers. It would be a service to carry the stuff, not a money maker. I`m thinking just divide the actual cost into the selling price. If I can save fellow detailing enthusiasts (and myself) some trouble by making product aquistion easier, possibly save some cash, it benefits everyone. Curiosity will get more people trying more stuff, etc. All the intent is to really help local friends and enthusiasts have faster, easier and reasonable access to items they want. For many people, website ordering and delivery will always be easier. Id never look to undercut or outsell any of the on line vendors.

I actually thought about this a while ago after two things happened. In the early part of the day, I was at PepBoys picking up oil and filters. As I passed the detailing aisle, an aquiantence said hello and we started talking. We hadnt talked in a while, and he asked me what I thought of the NXT stuff, since it was on a new display on an end cap. After 10 minutes of talking, he couldnt wait to get to his computer to order stuff he never heard of, never seen and was floored by seeing up close (I had the Mach with me). After he got his EX and S&G he was so impressed he wanted to try all the PB stuff. He just didnt want to spend more on shipping until he finished the two items and was ready to restock. In the end he only ordered one sealant and one QD, but had they been on the shelf, he would have returned and bought another item or two, perhaps even the entire line. After his friends saw the results, then they would come in, and so on.

Then later in the day, we were eating at a favorite Italian Rest, where we go often. I commented about a certain sauce and how I wish I could get it at home. The manager came out with a big bottle and sold it to me for his cost since I liked it so much. That gesture didnt hurt his business, but reinforced it.

My brother in law in FT Lauderdale can pickup just about anything over the counter that I can find on the net. With this last VM thing, I got to thinking I wish there was a way I could walk in a store and pick it up. We`ll see. Who knows, someone else may already be doing the same thing, I just dont know about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    We have one here in NJ, which is geared to high volume shops (dealers, bodyshops, etc.), but they don`t really carry the "boutique" products you mention.
    Not to hijack, but where is this place in NJ?

Post Thanks / Like
    PAL Automotive, in Piscataway. He`s a Meg`s and AutoMagic distributor (among other lines), and has hosted at least 2 Meg`s Detail Days. He also has foam guns.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    PAL Automotive, in Piscataway. He`s a Meg`s and AutoMagic distributor (among other lines), and has hosted at least 2 Meg`s Detail Days. He also has foam guns.
    Thanks. Im in Bergen County when at Home and might stop by there to avoid shipping costs...

Thread Information