Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking of offering glass chip repair and was wondering what was a decent easy to use kit.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    anyone? LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t imagine that any of them will be 1/10th as good as having a pro do it. I have a friend who works for one of the area`s top Auto Glass shops, and does mostly chips, with a few replacements. He had to do several hundreds of practice chips before they would let him do it "live". It`s cheap as hell (Insurance will usually pick up 100% since it saves them the probability of paying for all new glass), and quick for a pro. Plus it`s seamless.

Watching him do several for friends/family, there is definitely an art form that comes with practice. There are also a lot of specialized tools and chemicals. There is also a high risk of replacing the whole windshield if you don`t know what you`re doing.

Considering the cost (usually free to anyone with comp insurance, and cheap for everyone else), I can`t imagine that any consumer-level glass repair kit is going to be any more effective than those "As Seen On TV" "Dent-Pullers".

Of course, I could be totally wrong...

Post Thanks / Like
    Can these types of places do scratches as well? Bought a used Z that has a handful of small scratches in the passenger side window. Not a crack, none go all the way through, just a handful of small scratched. Wondering what fixing these scratches would cost.
    2004 Nissan 350 Z Touring

Stock/Stock/AudiovoxNav/Stock

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dcmidnight
    Can these types of places do scratches as well? Bought a used Z that has a handful of small scratches in the passenger side window. Not a crack, none go all the way through, just a handful of small scratched. Wondering what fixing these scratches would cost.

I talked to my friend (cousin, actually) last night. The rule of thumb is that if you can feel it with your fingernail, it`s not buffing out. It`s not so much that it can`t be done, but that it shouldn`t be done. In buffing out deeper scratches, you have to flatten out the glass too much; plus the heat can be enough to warp it further....

Thread Information