97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    It`s been my understanding that the following would be rated from least aggressive/least amount of bite to more aggressive/more bite for applying polish or wax. Am I correct?

1. foam applicator pad

2. microfiber applicator pad

3. cotton towel

Post Thanks / Like
    That is probably accurate. Are you talking about applying by hand? If so I think the differance between the three is negligible.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brwill2005
    Are you talking about applying by hand? If so I think the differance between the three is negligible.

Actually, there is a huge difference between a foam hand pad or mf pad and a folded terry cloth towel in terms of bite. In addition, it is easier to apply even pressure and not get fingertip marring, especially with foam.

Just one of the tidbits I picked up detailing by hand for more than 10 years.

I`d still pop for a PC though, much easier and better results.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, there is a huge difference between a foam hand pad or mf pad and a folded terry cloth towel in terms of bite. In addition, it is easier to apply even pressure and not get fingertip marring, especially with foam.

So, what would you say is the most aggressive and least aggressive of the three? Do you really think using the same product with those three different applicators would produce noticebly different results by hand? I used to do detailing by hand using all types of applicators. The only time I really noticed any difference in cutting was when I switched to a more aggresive product. Now, using my Cyclo or my Metabo is a different story. You can definitely notice the difference between the different foam materials and wool materials. Then again, I have not done anywhere near 10,000 cars
    Brad Will- Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Most to least would be terry cloth towel > mf pad > foam pad

When removing paint transfers, you will really notice the difference, terry cloth is noticably more aggressive and will remove paint transfers more quickly.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember you stating that you sometimes remove paint transfers by hand. Is that your procedure to use a terry app to remove paint transfer? If so I would like to know because paint transfers are PITA.

Thanks, Brad
    Brad Will- Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Terry cloth towels by hand is faster in most cases than PC with paint transfers.
    www.scottwax.com

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brwill2005
    Are you talking about applying by hand? If so I think the differance between the three is negligible.

Yes, I`m referring by hand. So, if a microfiber applicator pad has just a tad more bite than a foam pad as scottwax described, why do people use microfiber pads to apply their wax or sealant? Wouldn`t a foam pad be better?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by III
    Yes, I`m referring by hand. So, if a microfiber applicator pad has just a tad more bite than a foam pad as scottwax described, why do people use microfiber pads to apply their wax or sealant? Wouldn`t a foam pad be better?

Honestly, I have no idea. MF pads soak up too much product and foam glides over the paint better.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Honestly, I have no idea. MF pads soak up too much product and foam glides over the paint better.

Exactly, so far the only use that I have for MF applicators is applying interior protectants. Even there I still use foam from time to time.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    John, "bite" isnt necesarrily a bad thing. MF or Cotton apps are appropriate for those who wish to use all in one type of products such as megs #6 etc......The extra bite allows for better attrition, yet still a margin of safety.
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Most to least would be terry cloth towel > mf pad > foam pad

I`m gonna go out on a limb here and dare to disagree with ScottWax about something done by hand ( ), well, sorta. But IMO it`s all just mental [messing around] when it comes to *functional* differences. I`ve done both gentle and aggressive by-hand work with both MF and foam and people should use whichever works for them depending on what they`re trying to do. Sufficient CYA disclaimer ?

While I have *nowhere* near his experience with by-hand work, I did/do a lot of the XJS (and all the cars I had before it) by hand and its soft ss paint makes it easy to see what does what. In my experience the MF is milder than the foam, or *can* be depending on technique. But note that it`s the technique (pressure, how said pressure is distributed, how often you switch to a fresh MF, etc.) and to a lesser extent the material (all foam/MF is not created equal) that make all the difference. Well, all the *functional difference* at least. You can make either material more/less aggressive than the other by varying your technique, neither one has any "cut" for practical purposes but either *can* mar if you really *try* to make it happen (and if the paint is soft enough).

But I don`t think it really matters as either one is mild enough to not induce marring (I usually use foam for LSP application) if you use it right and can be a gentle as you`ll ever need. Any differences only matter when the technique is altered to take advantage of the particular medium. But when I feel I have to be *extra gentle*, I use MF, taking care to a)cushion it so the pressure is distributed over a very wide area, b) apply very little pressure, and c) switching to a fresh MF before the nap gets matted down with product. But IMO this is all just splitting hairs.

Cotton/terry on the other hand, can be quite aggressive. Back in the day we used cotton to "hand rub" lacquer with Meg`s #7, a nonabrasive product. The "cut" came from the cotton and the #7 lubricated it to make it safe to use (well, *usually* safe to use...).

This isn`t a :argue: between me and ScottWax, just different observations. And I wouldn`t be at all surprised if the MF/foam comparison works either way for anybody else. All a matter of how you do it.

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. Patrick
    John, "bite" isnt necesarrily a bad thing. MF or Cotton apps are appropriate for those who wish to use all in one type of products such as megs #6 etc......The extra bite allows for better attrition, yet still a margin of safety.

Yeah, that makes sense. So what about if I`m not using an all in 1 type product and just using a wax or sealant as my LSP? Would you say using a foam applicator is the best because it has the least amount of bite?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think theres better lubrication while using foam. In other words, theres more product between the foam and the surface. Naturally, your only saturating foam and it will only hold so much. We all know MF holds quite a bit of water, 5-7 times its own weights worth. And then theres the foam interior of the applicator. Well, sealants are nothing new to MF`s, it will absorb the sealants like mad, so your obviously going to have significant waste, as compared to a foam app.

If there wasnt a need for cleaning the paint, you could go straight to foam for your protectant, i think the foam is about as innocent as it comes.
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Intresting thread guys. Until late I had been using MFs hand pads for sealants and foam pads for paste waxes. No sure why to be honest!

I have to agree now that the MF pad does absorb and waste alot of sealant. The other night I had to re-do some areas with WG after some spot polishing with no MF pad to had I used a yellow foam hand app. as I had on there. The WG spread better and used less product IMO.

As for agressiveness I have never found the soft blue Clearkote MF ones any more aggressive than foam though, lus they seem really well sized for sealant application. The Sonus polishing ones seem to have more bite than foam for hand polishing, and a folded terry as we know gives some real bite in hand polishing.

Thread Information