Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

I`m thinking of adding the Makita 9227 rotary with 7" pads to my arsenal. I already use a PC 7424 with sonus pads.

Why ? I would like to use the Makita for swirl removal and the PC 7424 for pre-wax and application of LSP`s.

Is there a clear difference in outcomes between the two ?

For example, If i use Poorboys SSR 1, 2 or 3 , DACP, or WG total swirl remover with the makita. Will it produce significantly better swirl removal than what i use now , the 7424 ?

Basically i`m putting the same product on , but now i`d be using a diff machine and am wondering if its worth the investment ?

I realized i may need something heavier, as I`ve been using the 7424 with SSR 3 or DACP

on some really bad swirls and scratches and really haven`t rid them as I`d like. Basically, i`m not happy with my "prep" results.

Thanks for your thoughts

tumbler

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

I`m thinking of adding the Makita 9227 rotary with 7" pads to my arsenal. I already use a PC 7424 with sonus pads.

Why ? I would like to use the Makita for swirl removal and the PC 7424 for pre-wax and application of LSP`s.

For example, If i use Poorboys SSR 1, 2 or 3 , DACP, or WG total swirl remover with the makita. Will it produce significantly better swirl removal than what i use now , the 7424 ?

Basically i`m putting the same product on , but now i`d be using a diff machine and am wondering if its worth the investment ?

I realized i may need something heavier, as I`ve been using the 7424 with SSR 3 or DACP

on some really bad swirls and scratches and really haven`t rid them as I`d like. Basically, i`m not happy with my "prep" results.

Thanks for your thoughts

tumbler

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah the makita will remove more paint faster than the PC. Given enough time and polish the PC will take off just as much paint but it will take LOT longer to do it.

Is it worth it?? depends on how many vehicles you do and how much your time is worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah the makita will remove more paint faster than the PC. Given enough time and polish the PC will take off just as much paint but it will take LOT longer to do it.

Is it worth it?? depends on how many vehicles you do and how much your time is worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    SSRs suck big time with the rotary. You will def. need to find another polish. Optimum is the new preferred polish, at least for me it is!

JJ
    Umm! BLACK

Post Thanks / Like
    SSRs suck big time with the rotary. You will def. need to find another polish. Optimum is the new preferred polish, at least for me it is!

JJ
    Umm! BLACK

Post Thanks / Like
    i was thinking Mezerna with the Rotary then ?

Post Thanks / Like
    i was thinking Mezerna with the Rotary then ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have good success with SSR and the rotary :nixweiss eveyone will have different skills/techniques that work for them and not others. It is about finding something that works for you and sticking with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have good success with SSR and the rotary :nixweiss eveyone will have different skills/techniques that work for them and not others. It is about finding something that works for you and sticking with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the 9227CX a couple of years ago. i`ve probably used it 8 - 10 times. It`s invaluable and I would not be without it. As always, excercise much discretion if you have no experience running a direct-drive, hi-speed machine.

The Makita is sweet, I luv the slo start up feature.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the 9227CX a couple of years ago. i`ve probably used it 8 - 10 times. It`s invaluable and I would not be without it. As always, excercise much discretion if you have no experience running a direct-drive, hi-speed machine.

The Makita is sweet, I luv the slo start up feature.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tumbler
    Hi all,

Thanks for your thoughts

tumbler
    One thing you have to consider is your skill. Applying prewaxes and LSP with a rotary can induce some swrils you did not have in the first place. For defect removal, nothing beats a rotary. However for me I rather have the safety of a PC for doing things such as applying a LSP. As far as prewaxing, to me it means that you have good condition paint and that a PC will be sufficent. If you have light swrils a PC is what you should use. For bad spider webbing you may need the rotary. My process is usually if the swrils look bad I do one section with #83 or SSR2.5 with a orange LC pad. If I don`t remove 70% of the swrils then I would get the rotary out. I say if you are just doing this as a hobby on your own car then get a cheap rotary like the one at Harbour Freight with some nice pads. If you do this for money then its worth getting a nice machine like the Makita as its a worth while investment.
    Eddie

Not a fanatic, but a racer who like his rides clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tumbler
    Hi all,

Thanks for your thoughts

tumbler
    One thing you have to consider is your skill. Applying prewaxes and LSP with a rotary can induce some swrils you did not have in the first place. For defect removal, nothing beats a rotary. However for me I rather have the safety of a PC for doing things such as applying a LSP. As far as prewaxing, to me it means that you have good condition paint and that a PC will be sufficent. If you have light swrils a PC is what you should use. For bad spider webbing you may need the rotary. My process is usually if the swrils look bad I do one section with #83 or SSR2.5 with a orange LC pad. If I don`t remove 70% of the swrils then I would get the rotary out. I say if you are just doing this as a hobby on your own car then get a cheap rotary like the one at Harbour Freight with some nice pads. If you do this for money then its worth getting a nice machine like the Makita as its a worth while investment.
    Eddie

Not a fanatic, but a racer who like his rides clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased a Makita rotary about 6 months ago, and find I use it mainly when I encounter a major paint defect that would be difficult to remove with my PC. Using my PC is a breeze compared to the rotary where you have to be on top of it all the time. I guess for my puposes (hobby detailer) the rotary is more of a luxury than a necessity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information