Thread: Layering P21S

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone had in luck layering it? ... or can it be layered... my understanding was no ..
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it layers well. I use it on my uncovered daily driver. The trick is to not put on too much at any time. Pace yourself to one layer ...(or deposit for the nay sayers) every week or more.

In reality you won`t need a lot of wax if the car is well cared for and covered, but if its well applied, then you should see an endless succession of beading and a well textured, deep looking wax resolution (or at least this is what I have expereinced with my daily driver).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lbls1
    Yes it layers well. I use it on my uncovered daily driver. The trick is to not put on too much at any time. Pace yourself to one layer ...(or deposit for the nay sayers) every week or more.

In reality you won`t need a lot of wax if the car is well cared for and covered, but if its well applied, then you should see an endless succession of beading and a well textured, deep looking wax resolution (or at least this is what I have expereinced with my daily driver).

I don`t think what you are experiencing is necessarily layering, but replenishing. If you`re putting on a new coat every week, you have a freshly waxed vehicle. Two coats for a carnuaba is adequate and that`s mainly to ensure full coverage and to get areas that may have been missed on the first pass. During the summer months when the weather stays consistently nice, I like to do a quick detail daily followed with a coat of S100 wax on a weekly basis.

Post Thanks / Like
    That may well be true if it is a cleaner wax or a poly, but in terms of P21S, I`ve seen different results in terms of depth of shine vs. a "fresh coat" or freshly cleaned surface. I feel that it coats and covers itself very well. IMO there are noticeable differences in the amount of a pure carnauba that can be "accumulated" if it is applied right. Bear in mind, this will hold if you take care in not stripping the wax that has been applied before it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think some people have used it with soft water and put a small amount of wax on top of the beads of water? So that it doesn`t interfere as much with a previous application(s).

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump for more comments .. anyone got a can of it to see if it says anything on it?
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    it does not have cleaners, so i`m sure it does layer. if not, i`m wasting my time.
    Just an Old Curmudgeon

Post Thanks / Like
    spit shine it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I always "spit" shine it (atomized water and a finishing mf ....genuine chamois was good at this, but a good finishing mf will do as well) after three layers...yes I said layers. With my daily driver, though, I will usually need to QD it before adding more wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    It says you have to wait 24hrs before applying a new layer. I tried it and it seemed to look the same. QD actually made a bigger difference.
    1970 Camaro RS
    2013 Optima SX
    2005 Escalade Platinum
    2000 Integra GSR

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve noticed that several layers of a carnauba will give you more of a shimmering look. You really have to see it in person. Maybe apply S100 after each weekly wash for a month.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    I`ve noticed that several layers of a carnauba will give you more of a shimmering look. You really have to see it in person. Maybe apply S100 after each weekly wash for a month.

I agree that you can layer. My eye can see a difference to about 3 layers but after that I can not detect a difference with additional layers. I use Pinnacle Souveran as my primary wax.
    -Dennis

My Cars

Post Thanks / Like
    A buddy of mine is a little fanatical about Klasse and S100. His last car had 37 coats of SG and 1.5 jars of S100 (about 50 coats). The biggest things I took from it were:

-Super slickness

-Far less rock chips and bug guts on the front than mine

-Absolutely glowing (no high gloss, just deep and wet)

-He`s insane

He put a coat on after every wash. Personally, that`s a little much for me, but whatever floats his boat. I`m not sure where the point of no return was, but I know that he had more sacrificial layers than you could shake a stick at. That, to me, would make it all worth it.

And above, mentioning spit shining, I would do it. It makes more wax bond to the surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is an art that you have to master. The "layering" will best be effective on a clean, clear surface. If your wax isn`t properly buffed to a clear resolution, you will end up getting haze and a bit of a cloudy finish. You can put as many layers on as you like, but the thing with having a lot of wax is the control. If your paint isn`t at its best before the wax, then you may get a slicker surface with the wax cakes, but it will not be as stunning as a properly prepped surface with just a moderate amount of wax.

I am a waxaholic, and I do love and appreciate a surface that has accumulated good amounts of wax over a season of 4-6 months, but remember; No matter how much you put on, all of that good stuff Must come off in a year`s time, or else you risk compromising the shine potential of your paint. Just use good judgment and some food for thought. Happy waxing!

Thread Information