Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat Gun

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to get an adjustable heat gun to use (instead of a hair dryer) for softening adhesives, removing badges, etc. Who makes a good one at a decent price?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using my HF Chicago Electric on low (630 deg F) to remove adhesive. It`s been working properly for over a year now and I paid $10. You want a gun with a setting that falls between 500-700 deg F. for adhesive removal. The paint removal guns are usually set to 900-1100 deg F. I still use mine at a distance until I feel the adhesive soften up. If I had an IR temp gun I would tell you how hot the pain surface was really getting.

Perfectionist in Rehab Prometheus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know that the "junk" tool shows that come to town every six months or so have some, they`re cheap, and probably wouldnt withstand much frequent use. But, if you`re only going to use it once every six months or so, a $20 heat gun might be what you need. Check around for a tool show, and my guess would be that they`ll have something useful. The one that shows up here every six months or so is Homier, but dont know if they show up in Ohio at all. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator,

Next time you`re in Lowe`s getting more shut off valves and 300 watt incandescents , check them out in the paint section.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can try your local GrayBar Electric. Look in the yellow pages under electrical supply or distributors.

You might find an industrial grade gun (for heat shrink tubing and etc) for a good price.

....BH
    Valve Audio: "Use a transistor, Go to jail! ....It`s The Law!"

What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it`s all about?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the suggestions. I`d forgotten about using it for heat-shrink, only thought about low settings for the adhesives. Might oughta get an IR thermometer too.

Gotta come up with something..the Caprice will (hopefully) be back from its mechanical work soon and I gotta remove the previous owner`s dayglow yellow pinstriping and Chevy bowtie graphics (hey, it coordinated well with the guy`s raised yellow letter tires- "yee-ha!" ).

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, IR thermometer really sounds good. I`m going to look into a gun trigger style model :up
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    How much you looking to spend? You can find cheap ones locallaly for 20 bucks, or you can spend over 100 on one, and Ive even seen some rival $300. If you scan Ebay, you can find decent Milwaulke (sp) guns for around 70 bucks...a pretty decent median range with decent quality.

BTW, where abouts in NE Ohio are you? I live in Rootstown (Portage County), but I work out in Elyria. You anywhere in between?

Post Thanks / Like
    ron gray- I`m not really worried about the price, though a friend of mine is looking into an inexpensive one that somebody on an Audi forum is selling. I don`t really want to hassle with ebay, if I decide I want a Milwaukee I`ll just go to their local vendor. No big rush on this as the Caprice won`t be coming home for a while after all

I`m not as "north east" as you are, closer to Akron. About the only time I get up north is when I go to my Audi dealer or my Jag wrench.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not as "north east" as you are, closer to Akron.

Im live like 3 minutes from 44 and 76. Where abouts by Akron? Sounds like your not terrible far from me...Im compelled to watch you perform your wash ritual

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, but security concerns keep me pretty general about my location and preclude a more, uhm, social approach to detailing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Security concerns? You detail cars for Black Ops members or something? Just teasing, I respect your privacy concerns.

I got a buddy in the FBI, and when I ask him what he does, he always answers "we build bridges and stuff" LOL...hes gone for months at a time, and I know for a fact he hasnt one constructive bone in his body. He knows I know its BS, but we just dont discuss it further.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just picked one up at Lowes in the paint section for $30. Has two settings 750 degrees and 1500 degrees.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Pats300zx

Just picked one up at Lowes in the paint section for $30. Has two settings 750 degrees and 1500 degrees.
    I-Carumba, you want one with a dial that goes down to 250 Degrees F for multiple detailing uses. You can get a professional one for between 50 and 100 bucks at home depo.

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/cc.../adtg/06130523

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Pats300zx

Sounds exactly the same as my Wagner.

I use it A LOT, and my only gripe is I have no hard case for it; the cardboard box it came in is trashed, but the gun has never let me down.:xyxthumbs
    `01 Sentra SE
    Calgary Sports Car Club #406 DSS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information