Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I was reading in the Car Show section and I saw numerous negative comments about "Cheap Microfibre cloths".

I have been so pleased with myself when I picked up an 8 pack at Walmart for around $5 on my trip to the US recently.

Previously I have got myself a couple of Meguairs MF cloths locally here in OZ which cost about A$12 each and the new ones seem pretty much identical.

Am I fooling myself? :nixweiss Is there an issue with the quality of the 8 pack MFs? :hm

Post Thanks / Like
    While I actually like the $11 18 pack of blue MFs from Sams for interior work and polish removal there are higher quality MFs out there. For LSP removal and final buffing I use the nicer UltraFines from Pakshak or Concours towels from DF. Splurge on a few and see what I am talking about.
    Seeking Donations: Recently Diagnosed With Terminal Senioritis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hemi57,

I think the warning is against "cheaply manufactured", not "cheaply priced". I`ve had low cost towels that were fantastic. Some of my best all-purpose towels are the Costco blue & white ones. I`ve had really expensive towels that I wound up using for wheels and tires (not purchased from anywhere Autopia related). Judge the quality of the towel yourself by how it performs, not on how others use them or how much they cost. IMO, the inexpensive towels at WM are an excellent value, and a good towel. The big blue drying towel from WM is every bit the exact same towel (as far as I can tell) as one being sold by a vendor (in a smaller size and at a comparable cost) as a premium regular towel. IMO it performs as well as the more expensive waffle weave drying towels at half the cost.

You did OK, in my opinion, by getting one of the better values available here in the US.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    You can tell what you are paying for with PakShak...their MF is more durable, has finer threads, and is nicely finished with a fine border of silk in an offsetting color...their waffle weave remains soft even after many washings so I have switched to them for drying towels exclusively.

I know I may sound like a big fan of PakShak but the quality of their products and service have been A+ since I started trying their stuff....so I would say you do get what you pay for there.

For less expensive work I really love the new Sam`s Club MF 18 packs.

As a side note, the new Megs MF while decent is not as good as the boutique stuff.
    Lee
    ES330 in Millenium Silver

Sun Blinded Detailer Mochamanz1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought so, until I noticed a lot of fine micro-marring in my polish after using some cheap MF. I am now a believer in buying the best quality MF that I can find if the MF touch my polished paint. PakShak has the best that I have tried to this point. I have read that the Autopia store has a fine towel also. (concours) I will try that with my next order. Costco (in my area) has some really good utility towels (yellow) at a good price... great value ! Very nice at first use...on painted surfaces, good for interiors thereafter. Maybe its my cleaner. :nixweiss
    Prep is everything .. The rest is the window looking in....

Post Thanks / Like
    No, but alot come from the same place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your replies and advice.

Yep, I did also buy one of the large MF drying towels at WM too. For someone coming to the US from Australia all detailing products are so much cheap, and there is a much bigger range, than we can get here in OZ.

I will investigate mail order when I need product in future and then the whole world will open up
    Heading towards "obsessed" - Got Orbital, been to my Detailing Workshop and now understand Orbital & Clay

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a few VROOM glass cleaning MBs and they did a fine job of cleaning glass but after washing one of them the threads on the end of the towels started unravelling. I`m not too impressed with the overall quality but for the price it`s fine. I wouldn`t use the equivalent type towel on my paint.

I just bought 6 DF Towels in various sizes. I will be washing them and using them this weekend. They are natural fiber based MFs and come in white with very nice satin edging and are very high quality. Soft as a baby`s bottom. They aren`t inexpensive but I don`t find that to be an issue. IMO, it`s cheaper to invest in high quality towels then to put forth the time, effort and money removing scratches in my car`s paint.

I was told I could use the DF Towels for everything (drying, polishing, buff, QDing). I will do so and try to get a sense of what they do well. If they do everything well I`ll stick with them and invest in more and pick up some cheap OTC ones for dirty/interior work. If I find I need to branch out and purchase a variety of MBs I`m going to check into other options. I just won a package of 2 Sonus Der Wunder polishing towels and this will give me an idea what the Sonus line has to offer.

Basically I like to invest in a product at first in a small quantity to check it out and then if I like it I`ll invest in it. I`ve seen many OTC MFs that I know I wouldn`t use except for dirty work or wiping down the interior.

IMO you can never have too many towels.
    I`m sick and getting sicker. But my cars are slick and getting slicker!

Sun Blinded Detailer Mochamanz1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jinba ittai

IMO, it`s cheaper to invest in high quality towels then to put forth the time, effort and money removing scratches in my car`s paint.

Basically I like to invest in a product at first in a small quantity to check it out and then if I like it I`ll invest in it.

IMO you can never have too many towels.

Bingo ! :2thumbs:
    Prep is everything .. The rest is the window looking in....

Post Thanks / Like
    The Concours Buffing Towel! There is no substitute!!

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is all microfiber created equal? NO. I have the 8 pack myself from Walmart, but I use these only on my tires to remove tire dressing and for when I change my engine oil. You said you have some Megs towels that seem identical, but do you have any others? If you buy from pretty much any mentioned vendor here you will see a difference.

You`ll find the Walmart towels to be smaller in size than vendor`s towels, and you will also notice they seem not as plush with less thread count. Try this: Soak the walmart towels with water and wring it out as much as you can. Do this with the vendor towel also. Now, hold the towels up to a light source and you`ll see what I`m talking about. The Walmart towel will pass more light and look more bare. Another test is how the towel hold up after multiple washings.
    "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SilverLexus

I really love the new Sam`s Club MF 18 packs

agreed. these mf`s are nice/plush and i`ve compared/used them with some of the other "more expensive" ones i have, and they pass with flying colors (no scratching/marring). :up

Post Thanks / Like
    III, what I have is a couple of Meguairs, 1 x Turtle wax, 1 x of unknown branding and my 8 pack which I got from WM.

The test you suggested is an excellent idea. Thanks I will try that.

SilverLexus, I see numerous references to Sam`sClub. What do you have to do to qualify to buy at Sam`s Club? I suppose a tourist is not going to make the cut
    Heading towards "obsessed" - Got Orbital, been to my Detailing Workshop and now understand Orbital & Clay

Post Thanks / Like
    Hemi next time you are in my area let me know and I can take you to Costco. They have yellow MF`s that are a pretty good deal.

I think your Costco membership cost $35 a year.
    Insert witty quip here...

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    Sullybob, back from your weekend trip I see

Yep that would be great if you can introduce me to Costco. I might be over there in October so will keep in touch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information