wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    asked about resins and polymers- he told me that resins are tough and stick well-form a tight bond with the surface. Polymers are a more refined product. Both are petroleum products. In car waxes the resin would be what bonds the polymers or natural waxes together and to the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    What industry does this chemist work in? Does he work for a known manufacturer?

Post Thanks / Like
    With regards to rubber and vinyl dressings, I was told resin content can vary from product to product, with the more expensive ones containing more of them and better quality resins in general.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Sun Blinded Detailer Mochamanz1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What resin was he refering to, Epoxy? Did this chemist detail what resins are present in waxes ?(which I read as Carnauba products) I think I read your post as saying that resins are present in both Natural (carnauba) wax and Polymer formulations. In addition, I think you stated that there are resins contained in combinations of polymer /carnauba products which bind them and the paint in a layer. What product/s/ have this property? Maybe I missed out on this information.

I do remember TR3, which contained resins, if my memory serves...
    Prep is everything .. The rest is the window looking in....

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think you understand how vague these terms are.

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread has a good possibility of being bad.

Gauging from comments on other boards, he is referring to products such as Finish Kare that are made with resins.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Corey Bit Spank

I don`t think you understand how vague these terms are.

I agree. I am wondering what is being stated.:nixweiss

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    well the chemist I talked to doesn`t work for any car product manufacturer so I don`t have insight into any particular products. but from reading the back of #26 it states carnauba, polymer and resins-I believe FK Pink Wax has essentially the same ingredients but possibly a different manufacturing process. Then there are also the polymer/resin blends offered by many manufacturers.

actually i do realize that resin is rather vague in that hundreds of them do exist and probably none of us here know exactly which ones any manufacturer uses so from a chemical standpoint none of us could guage which resin based products are actually best without knowing the exact formula but rather mean it in a sense of understanding to a small degree how some products work. IN my case I wondered how you could mix a polymer with a carnauba and how they stay together. Now I have a small idea how the process works. This wasn`t meant as a means of saying any one product or type of product is better than another.

also if a manufacturer can blend together a carnauba, polymer and resin product then it could also be possible for some resin based products to be able to bond over a carnauba layer. this might allow for more potential product combos in and out of particular product lines. maybe PS under Autoglym

Post Thanks / Like
    You`re expending way too many calories thinking about this...it`s just wax! And that`s coming from someone who keeps his girlish figure from stress and overthinking a lotta things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reminder: please do not double or triple + post. If you would like to add more to a post you made , use the edit button and go back and add it. Thank you.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by wannafbody

... maybe PS under Autoglym

Nah, but Autoglym Super Resin Polish *under* Souveran is a great combo.

Post Thanks / Like
    jumping on a dead horse, but for those interested:

"polymers" is a vague description for material made up of large molecules (many monomers). "resin" is a vague description for material made up of large molecules (yes, they can be manufactured polymers but can be natural materials as well).

"resin" can refer to a material that provides a binding property for a mix of chemicals that may not bind properly without it. it can also refer to a material that is used to make plastic products like action figures for example.

"polymers" can refer to a material that has long, interlocking molecular chains as in sealants and also "resins."

and for kicks, "solvent" usually refers to a material that acts as a carrier. polymers, solvents, wax, etc is mixed and carried in suspension by the solvent, and the solvent usually evaporates during drying, leaving only the polymers, resins, etc.

it is very likely different manufacturers use these terms in different ways.

i don`t work for an automotive product company, but am an ex-chemical engineer and used to design and troubleshoot processes to manufacture specialty and commodity chemicals. and i`m very bored at work now sitting on a long conference call.

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread "resin-ates" with terminology problems..... I wish the marketing folks would not be so loose on the terms used to describe product. I maybe am a little too simplistic about the subject, but generally I read "resin" to mean a product (epoxy) that does indeed bond very actively with another.... in some articles resin and polymers are used as interchangeable terms. I like the drift of this article....Although, I wish it went into more specifics, but it does at least begin to clear some product confusion/issues up, IMHO http://www.detailguys.com/nw56.shtml :xyxthumbs

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    its seems like a lot of manufactuerer`s use a lot of terms loosley for marketing purposes. like polishes that don`t polish and glazes with polymers and you get the idea. good info guys

Thread Information