Post Thanks / Like
    Did anyone use WD-40 to remove grease and stain from the engine?

Was it better or worse than all-purpose cleaner?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard of people using WD40 to dress engine compartments. But I dont know if this is harmful or not?

Post Thanks / Like
    wd-40= water displacer (ment?) formula #40...i believe, someone can correct me if i am wrong. So no, it will not harm anything it acutally is a good thing while cleaning engine compartments. Your probably better off sticking with an APC.
    2001 Prelude TypeSH

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard of people using it but isn`t WD-40 petrolium based? I would think it would dry out the rubber hoses.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes it is, but i have never had it dry out my hoses and i`ve been using it for 10 plus years on my jeep...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by roughrider

I have heard of people using it but isn`t WD-40 petrolium based? I would think it would dry out the rubber hoses.
    Of what I heard it will dry out the rubber and plastic, but it might not happen if you use a protector like 303 on them. The only down side about WD-40 its not really good for the envirronment, but (unfortunatly) not every one is concern about that.
    “If anyone is not willing to work, neither should he eat.” 2 Thess 3.10

`04 Mazda3 sedan GT, Sunset orange

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Odin Mz3

Of what I heard it will dry out the rubber and plastic, but it might not happen if you use a protector like 303 on them. The only down side about WD-40 its not really good for the envirronment, but (unfortunatly) not every one is concern about that.
    yeah same here. back when i played airsoft, ive heard tons of storys about WD-40 killing their guns because WD-40 ate rubber extremely quick and dried out plastic. i dont see why people would dress their plastic parts with wd-40 while they could at least get armor all that at least doesnt ate/dry out rubber/plastic:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t see how a greasy, petroleum based spray would be an option for engine cleaning. Plus, it repels water making it somewhat difficult to rinse off.

Post Thanks / Like
    NXT Protectant is also petroleum based, but the manufactuerer recommends it for engine hose dressing (run the RX plus).

WD-40 claims it is safe for rubber, wood and plastic except polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic.

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_faqs.html

They even recommend WD-40 for shining bicycle tires.

http://www.wd40.com/Racing/index.html

Anyway, I want to be careful with rust protection stuff. I saw Fluid Film, which contains no solvent, swell some rubber on automotive exterior trim.

I also saw an EPDM maker`s web page. According to their test long time ago, products that contain petroleum distillate swelled EPDM rubber roof. Such products made the rubber roof look uneven due to swelling, and made the rubber roof heavier because petroleum was absorbed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Start with WD40 on electrical connectors and really heavy grease, let it sit for a couple of minutes, then spray on straight degreaser (I like Castrol Super Clean personally, but pretty much any APC will work), spray off with a strong stream from the hose, then blow most of the water off with a blower, spray Megs #40 liberally, close the hood and your good to go. I wouldnt use WD40 as a dressing or to degrease the whole hood, but it seems to do a helluva job on cutting heavy grease (particularly on metal parts).
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    WD-40 is basically a solvent in an oil carrier. Here is the MSDS.

http://www.wd40.com/Download/?/Brand...aerosol.us.pdf

There are so many products specifically for degreasing that work so well I can`t see why anyone would actually want to use WD-40. :nixweiss

I have had great results with Orange Blast but, I typically use Meguiars APC.

http://www.glblast.com/products.html#Degreaser

http://www.meguiars.com/estore/produ...-detailing-1-1

Post Thanks / Like
    wd40 is great for very grimy areas that are on metal or plastic. When i first started detailing my 8 yr old car that was never touched under the hood, i just sprayed the very bad areas with it, scrubbed with toothbrush and wiped down with a rag. i wouldnt recomend doing the whole engine with it because it acts as a water repellent as well, so basically you will hose it down and it will probably just stick to whatever it is on. for spot cleaning its the best, better off with a degreaser solution on the rest imo
    04 pathfinder CarDomain page:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2430502

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW & IMHO:

I occasionally come across people who spray their motor compartments and everything inside with WD-40. Nothing looks worse to me than seeing an otherwise nice car with the motor compartment all shiny and greasy looking, only to know that the owner was too lazy to clean the motor compartment properly. This is done a lot by some sellers for photo taking for the autotrader and so forth. I use a car wash high pressure hose and wipe down when I get home. FWIW: I would never buy a car whose motor was treated in this fashion, regardless of whether it harms the motor or wiring or not. I prefer wiping down hoses and such individually with the same stuff that I use for the interior of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Simple green works great for me. Can buy the gallon really cheap and works really well.
    Trent Byrd

Down N` Dirty Auto Detailing-Owner

Perfection is my standard!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you just want to wipe down an engine Goop hand cleaner workes great. Use the original Goop.

Thread Information