Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anybody used both Long Haul Polish/Wax and NXT wax? (I have the NXT paste, but if you`ve used liquid, fine.) Sounds like both have mild cleaning action. Are they similar in performance, durability, etc?

I`ve read the idea here on Autopia that, instead of using very abrasive products to quickly correct small paint deficiencies, I might try using a mild cleaner/wax several times. Sounds like it`s worth trying, anyway. I know NXT is a popular choice for this idea; would Long Haul be worth trying, too? Does is use any type of fillers?

Also, this is just a hobby for me right now, but might turn into a part-time deal later. Would you pros have a preference for either of these as a one-step for someone who wanted a "wash n wax" ?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to do this to make money, i would try the new #21. Can be used VIA rotary, hides swirls, slight cleaners, looks great.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Long Haul Polish/Wax is more of a true cleaner wax than NXT. It has light abrasives and chemical cleaners in it and will remove minor defects with a PC and polishing pad. It also has decent durability too.

This is the appearance 6 weeks after initial application following a QEW wash. The paint was noticably slick and beaded well.

This is immediately after application:

I like NXT too (especially the paste) but its specialized cleaners aren`t strong enough for it to be used as a true one step cleaner wax. LHPW is much more suited for the task. Remember though, one step products work best on paint already in pretty decent condition.

I don`t do a lot of one step jobs, mostly just for one company who uses them in their reward program. If the vehicle needs a true two + step detailing process, I let the employee know what their cost would be after subtracting what their company pays.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    JBM,

Thanks for the idea. How is #21 w/ a PC? Ever tried that? If so, polishing pad, or finish? I`m assuming, as Scott points out, that the paint must be in pretty good shape beforehand.

Scott,

Thanks. Nice pix. The beemer looks amazing for 6 weeks after a one-step.

Did you use a PC to apply the LH? If so, polishing pad, I assume? Buff out by hand, or PC/finish pad/microfiber?

I prefer (on my own and relatives`/friends` cars so far) to do more than a one-step, too ... but I realize that some people don`t want to take the time, or spend the money, to have more than a wash/wax done. If that situation ever arises, I`d like to know what the best product choice would be right then, rather than having to flounder.

Thanks for the info, gents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rayvenn

Scott,

Thanks. Nice pix. The beemer looks amazing for 6 weeks after a one-step.

Did you use a PC to apply the LH? If so, polishing pad, I assume? Buff out by hand, or PC/finish pad/microfiber?

I

Originally posted by Scottwax

The Long Haul Polish/Wax is more of a true cleaner wax than NXT. It has light abrasives and chemical cleaners in it and will remove minor defects with a PC and polishing pad.

Buffed it out by hand. Wipes off with ease.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like

Buffed it out by hand. Wipes off with ease.

Long Haul sounds better and better. Thanks.

The Long Haul Polish/Wax is more of a true cleaner wax than NXT. It has light abrasives and chemical cleaners in it and will remove minor defects with a PC and polishing pad.

Sorry, I should`ve worded mine better. I meant particularly on the beemer in your pic. I took yours above as a general rule of thumb.

Thanks again for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not familiar with Long Haul, who sells it and what is the brand line?
    "I think my blood is a Carnauba Prototype"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by AutoNova

http://www.long-haul.com/

I their products at Pep Boys. Pretty decent stuff, especially for OTC.

Hmm, interesting link I found when I googled Long Haul Polish/Wax

http://checkmate-boats.com/eve/ubb.x...61/m/808108056

Based on membership demand I entered into discussions with Race Glaze but concluded it probably was not the best product for boats given the prolonged exposure to water, salt, UV Rays and chemicals found in streams, lakes and bays where many of us boat. However the folks at Race Glaze did have a solution to our needs and that solution came in the form of a new product line they had just released call Long Haul.

The Long Haul Product Line is basically Race Glaze on steroids, enhanced to increase the durability of the shine and protective attributes of the coating to withstand the rigors of heavy duty exposure to the elements. I have personally used both Waxing Frenzy and Long Haul Polish / Wax and both are great. Both give great shines and both are excellent products. Therefore the choice is yours as to whether you choose a wax or acrylic sealant for your boat."

My understanding when I talked to the president (or owner) of Long Haul when I sent them an e-mail regarding how similar their QD and Race Glaze`s was is that he was affiliated with Race Glaze but set out on his own. The plot thickens....:nixweiss

BTW, the owner offered me free products but I told him they are selling them so cheap at Pep Boys I prefered to buy their stuff for myself.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Plot is thickening, all right. Long as the product is good I guess it doesn`t matter, but ya gotta wonder why the story is different.

Long Haul sounds a bit like Collinite Insulator Wax to me, with the remarks about extreme durability, "on steroids", etc. Has anyone compared Long Haul to IW, looks- and durability-wise?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by AutoNova

Up here Strauss Auto carries the complete line of Long Haul products . The Polish/Wax sells for $14.95 here , its a big bottle .

Post Thanks / Like

Plot is thickening, all right. Long as the product is good I guess it doesn`t matter, but ya gotta wonder why the story is different.

:nixweiss I talked personally to the president of Long Haul. He didn`t want to have anything in writing, not sure if he and the owner of RG had a falling out? He just said he was taking a different direction (retail sales vs boutique online sales) than RG.

Long Haul sounds a bit like Collinite Insulator Wax to me, with the remarks about extreme durability, "on steroids", etc. Has anyone compared Long Haul to IW, looks- and durability-wise?

The Polish/Wax does have decent cleaning properties so in that respect it is a completely different product. I used EX w/carnauba after washing that BMW since that person had won another wash/wax job and the paint really didn`t need any polishing. I won`t be able to assess durability on that particular vehicle. I go out to that office about once every 5-6 weeks, so maybe the Lexus will be there the next time.

I also have applied LH to a 44` Motor Coach and so far it is holding up well, even beading great through an industrial level truck wash-and according to my customer, the attendant said the bus had a he!! of a wax job. The bus is parked in a warehouse when not being driven, so again, probably not a good durability test. I do know on a black daily driver, parked in the sun during the day, LH does last at least 6 weeks with good beading and decent slickness.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, it sounds like RGlaze and LHaul guys might have come to a parting of the ways. At least there`s still a good product available.

I live several hours south of you, Scott ... I`ve read several threads about carnauba, melting point, etc. Have you found a wax that will hold up in the TX summer, or do I have to go with sealants only? Ever used LHaul in the summer?

I remember a pic of you working on a huge vehicle in a warehouse .... wonder if that was the same one? Must`ve really been slick for the car wash attendant to comment on it. Congratulations. Bet your customer loved hearing that from him, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    After seeing the pics posted with Long Haul, I went and got a bottle to try on my wife`s daily driver (96 Pathfinder).

I have to remark that the "gloss factor" was indeed greater than NXT...it really leaves a bright finish.

It does have a strong petroleum smell and will definitely turn your finish pad dark gray (that`s the color of the product).

I`ll see what the durability is over a 1 month time frame..it has already survived a midwest thunder boomer and came out with no loss of shine.

Seems like a very, very good OTC product. Still wondering about the strong petro smell though.

Totoland Mach
    2003 Mustang Mach 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I would of tried a polishing pad instead of a finishing pad to make use of the cleaning properties better.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, it sounds like RGlaze and LHaul guys might have come to a parting of the ways. At least there`s still a good product available.

I`ve only heard one side and that it was amicable. One thing I have noticed-the last bottle of the QD I bought was scented differently-I wonder if I`m not the only one to notice that RGs and LHs QDs smelled exactly alike?

I live several hours south of you, Scott ... I`ve read several threads about carnauba, melting point, etc. Have you found a wax that will hold up in the TX summer, or do I have to go with sealants only? Ever used LHaul in the summer?

After growing up in Phoenix, I don`t consider Texas weather particularly hot. :nixweiss

I used carnaubas all the time on my red Accord and they seemed fine last summer on my black 626. If you want a carnauba look but with more durability in the "heat", Wolfgang and EX w/carnauba should work fine. Carnauba Moose is a petroleum based wax with carnauba added and it is also great in the summer.

I remember a pic of you working on a huge vehicle in a warehouse .... wonder if that was the same one? Must`ve really been slick for the car wash attendant to comment on it. Congratulations. Bet your customer loved hearing that from him, too.

Same bus. Yeah, my customer got a kick out of the comment.
    www.scottwax.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information