Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, today, i washed my car wish dawn dish soap, why? because i had waxed it a month ago with turtlewax ultra gloss, then several weeks later i put klasse aio on it. i wanted to strip it down to clearcoat so i could start fresh. a month ago, i didn`t know much about detailing, and thanks to this awesome site and the sweet dudes on it, i`m in the right direction now.

ok anyways, i bought dawn dish soap, the blue original scent one. i washed the car with it. i was amazed how it held it`s suds so well, i normally use meguiars deep crystal car wash. this was way suddsier. so, i clayed the car with the suds on it still, it is so much easier that way. i washed the suds off. (i probably should have washed the cart with regular car soap to get it back some "nutrients" on the paint surface.) - truth or myth?

i was amazed how my car no longer beaded water on the surface, dawn really cuts out the wax.

then i followed it with klasse aio. i will wax with s100 or p21s when i get around to ordering it, soon.

how bad is this for the car? i figure i would like to do it once a year or so to get down the the bare surface. also, i`ve read that klasse aio will do the saem as dawn does by getting rid of the old stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should do a search on this.

It isn`t bad, so to say, but it cuts to the C.C, like you said. Excessive washing with it may eat at the C.C., but useing it once very seldom doens`t really hurt. Just be sure to fallow with some sort of sealant EVERY time.
    2002 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus

--4.7l V8 SOHC

2004 Dodge SRT-4

--2.4l L4 DOHC Turbo

1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby

--2.2l L4 SOHC Turbo

Resident of Detail City travisdecpn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dawn and other dish washing detergents are bad because they dry out your car`s paint. If you want to remove old wax you should use a regular car wash solution and some detailing clay. This is safe on your clearcoat and much less harsh than a dawn wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    We put products that are 45% percent solvents on cars w/o a thought, but we are afraid of a grease cutting PH soap? Use it all you want it will not hurt your paint. It really strips nicely and probably gives a great base that will maximize durabilty of your sealant. The only problem I have with it is lubricty, so I add my favorite car wash to help slick it up a bit.
    A day without a scrub busting my chops is like a day w/o sunshine. :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    Great tip Burlyq

Would a mix of roughly 75% Dawn to 25% work?
    05_Dakota Laramie-Red

04_Pontiac Vibe-Black

Post Thanks / Like
    I use DAWN in the spring for my first major cleanup after winter BECAUSE of its high-powered cleaning. Around here, they use a salt/sand/molasses (sp) substance mix on the roads. They have also started using a liquid de-icing solution on the roads .

For that first wash, I WANT to strip the car down completely, get everything off the surface of the car. Even if the protectant/wax is still there, I`m sure all the winter crud has attached to the finish (the amount of crud that comes off from claying, even after a DAWN wash is enough to convince me).

Dawn removes all but the heaviest tar deposits, so I think it`s fair to say that it will effectively dissolve/strip the layer of winter crud off.

That being said, for the remainder of the year I use a dedicated carwash soap (Megs) saving the harsher cleaners for engine/undercarriage duties.

xnevergiveinx : I only live an hour or so from you, so if you need a hand sometime, give a shout
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    I vote for not using Dawn. Their website suggests not to use it either. The oils and dirt on pots and pans is different than environmental pollutants and brake dust on cars. Use dedicated cleaners for dedicated tasks.

As far as using it once a year, when would you do it? before clay/polish/AIO? These three will be enough to remove the existing protection.

Of course this is based on opinion. A lot of non Autopians would argue that they`ve been using dishwashing liquid for decades without ill effect.

It`s your call.
    The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions.

-Alfred Lord Tennyson (1809 - 1892)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ay Ay Ay! This has been discussed so many times! Here:

A Dawn Battle

Another Dawn Battle

Listen, I have used the Finish Kare Decon system twice in the last 6 months on new cars. The first step has TSP in it. That`s what they use for degreasing garage floors. The second step is sulfuric and phosphoric acids. This system is marketed to new car dealers, to use on new cars prior to delivery. And you`re worried that using a dish soap that millions of people stick their hands in every day is too harsh?

Post Thanks / Like
    "Dawn and other dish washing detergents are bad because they dry out your car`s paint. If you want to remove old wax you should use a regular car wash solution and some detailing clay. This is safe on your clearcoat and much less harsh than a dawn wash." - travisdecpn

i`ve read that detaiuling clay won`t remove old wax at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Dawn belong to the kitchen

I never use Dawn before and probably dont need to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Liquid Acrylics were once thought to belong only on kitchen floors but a wonderful protectant was adopted to protect our vehicles - Klasse.

Many APC`s have also found to be of great "periodic" cleaning tools for detailing vehicles.

Episodic use of non-intended agents for detailing purposes is not abnormal, wrong or even rare.

Detailing myth: Soap (Including Dawn) will dry out your paint.......NOT!!!! Some soaps, like Dawn, will strip off oils on the painted surface and give the appearance that the surface is dry. This was especially true back in the day when we detailed single-stage paints (60`s thru mid- 70`s). :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Dawn is perfectly fine to use on cars, but I don`t use it anymore. I tried to remove NXTx2 last year with a Dawn wash (twice my typical car wash soap concentration) and it didn`t strip off the wax.

I also don`t like that Dawn dries out rubber around the car. Of course, 1Z Gummipflege restores the rubber, but that`s an extra step.

I save Dawn for washing pads and applicators.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A car wash concentrate is formulated with surfactants for cleaning and oils as a lubricant, so that you can remove the dirt/oil/grime from the surface with a lubricant (cushion) between the surface and the wash mitt/brush.

That Dawn is formulated for â€Ëœotherâ€â„¢ types of soils is good enough for me, IMO why not use a product that has been specifically formulated for cleaning a cars paint surface as opposed to one that hasnâ€â„¢t. I (like others) take a â€Ëœfail-safeâ€â„¢ position in recommending products and if I recommend a product that its manufacturer has said is not suitable for this particular use and has openly published that information is asking for unnecessary criticism.

My supposition is that Sal Zanioâ€â„¢s recommendation to use Dawn to clean a paint surface for Zanio polishes was meant as a one time thing to prepare the surface; many have (wrongly I believe) taken this to mean that itâ€â„¢s ok to wash a car with dishwashing liquid.

I also find it interesting that the mention of Dawn will invariably be coupled with Zanio products (Iâ€â„¢m not suggesting in any way that Sal engineered this, but itâ€â„¢s great marketing)

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by buldog

Great tip Burlyq

Would a mix of roughly 75% Dawn to 25% work?
    I personally use a 50/50 of Dawn/Z7 and the surface is stripped nicely and I have great lubricity. I use about 2 oz combined and add 1/2 gallon of hot water. Again, I only do this when I want a stripped surface because this will remove wax effectively.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information