Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been trying the NXT "Xtreme Shine" aerosol recently. Sprayed onto a swipe and wiped on, it`s pretty nice, if a bit unimpressive.

Earlier this afternoon, after washing, I closed the garage door and sprayed the tires as neatly as I could. The tires look great, but like every other time I`ve gone straight aerosol, there`s a very small bit of dressing on the body panels, especially the fenders - not even like a "film", just spotty like slinging might be on the bottom of the car, but not nearly as bad. Being a black car and all, you can`t see it even up close - you have to smear it with an MF or your finger or something to see that it`s even there.

Other than the fact that I`m anal about keeping that damn Corvette clean, is this really such a bad thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Being that the NXT Insane Shine has acetone in it, I wouldn`t get overspray on painted surfaces. After the solvents have evaporated, any sling of the greasy part should only be a nuisance, rather than a danger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Acetone - what is that used for again??

Sounds nasty

This is why I hate aerosol`s. Only one I use is diamondite and that`s a foam rather than liquid
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    i used to use the nxt insane tire shine, but found that the new michelin 3in1 tire shine offers just as good results (even better that it`s not an aerosal, and has a user friendly trigger) and more bang for the buck. one bottle of the michelin (4-5 trigger sprays onto a eagle one swipe, spread evenly.... treats one wheel), will surpass at least two cans of the nxt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Acetone= me for automotive purposes. In addition to the damaging dimethyl silicone oil in these types of products, I understand formaldehyde can be an ingredient in some too
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

Being that the NXT Insane Shine has acetone in it, I wouldn`t get overspray on painted surfaces. After the solvents have evaporated, any sling of the greasy part should only be a nuisance, rather than a danger.

I`ll check into this, not right now as I`m getting ready to teach a class, but I can assure you that Meguiar`s chemists take all aspects of a products performance and function into consideration when the create a formula and select the ingredients.

I have confidence that R&D, would not knowingly create a product that as Setec Astronomy has labeled it, dangerous for your paint as they understand that it`s possible that a tire dressing will sling off when the car is under way. Another thing to remember is that if the product is used correctly, the risk of sling should be minimal, but the problem starts when people apply to much product to the surface in the first place. This product is designed to be used on rubber after all, not applied to paint.

On Monday, I`ll check with R&D to see what they have to say about this subject.

Post Thanks / Like
    My one month evaluation of NXT Insane is that it has zero sling if applied with a tire swipe. One of the best of many I have tried. :xyxthumbs

Excellent product that really is durable and it is not overly glossy if applied by a swipe. One can titrate the level of gloss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mike Phillips

I have confidence that R&D, would not knowingly create a product that as Setec Astronomy has labeled it, dangerous for your paint as they understand that it`s possible that a tire dressing will sling off when the car is under way. ... This product is designed to be used on rubber after all, not applied to paint.

C`mon Mike, look at the context here...I`m not saying this is a "dangerous" product. The thread is about overspray--I`m saying that I`m not comfortable using a product that is likely to overspray on wheels, which are overwhelmingly painted on today`s cars, which contains 10-30% acetone (a paint solvent) by weight per the MSDS.

Again, my statement was "I wouldn`t get overspray on painted surfaces" which I`m sure is the same warning that is on the can. The thread starter`s question was whether overspray was bad, and I said yes...if it will make you happy--I`m sorry I used the term "dangerous"...let me restate:

It is my opinion that overspray onto painted surfaces of an aerosol tire spray containing strong solvents should be avoided.

Post Thanks / Like
    Best way to reduce overspray is to use a piece of cardboard to "shield" the extra mist as you go around the tire. Simple, easy and effective....

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SVR

Sounds nasty

This is why I hate aerosol`s. Only one I use is diamondite and that`s a foam rather than liquid

Acetone is the active ingredient in nail polish remover. It is a strong solvent that`s usual purpose is to strip paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SVR

This is why I hate aerosol`s

agreed, i won`t be buying anymore aerosal sprays (thought about it long before this thread) if i do.... it will be the foam spray, but probably not even that (nothing ruins a good detail then to have overspray from an aerosal tire dressing :down ) yes... i have done the cardboard sheild thing, but it always finds a way to overspray.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SVR

Sounds nasty

Acetone is a colourless mobile flammable liquid with melting point at -95.4 °C and boiling point at 56.53 °C. It has a relative density of 0.819 (at 0 °C). It is readily soluble in water, ethanol, ether, etc., and itself serves as an important solvent. The most familiar household use of acetone is as the active ingredient in nail polish remover. Acetone is also used to make plastic, fibers, drugs, and other chemicals.

As a member of the ketone bodies it is present in very small quantity in normal urine and in the blood

Acetone occurs naturally in plants, trees, volcanic gases, forest fires, and as a product of the breakdown of body fat. It is present in vehicle exhaust, tobacco smoke, and landfill sites. Industrial processes contribute more acetone to the environment than natural processes. It is found among the products formed in destructive distillation of wood, sugar, cellulose, etc., and for this reason it is always present in crude wood spirit, from which the greater portion of it may be recovered by fractional distillation.

It forms a hydrazone with phenyl hydrazine and an oxime with hydroxylamine. Reduction by sodium amalgam converts it into isopropyl alcohol (we use this to clean our painted surface - the 70% IPA has 30% inert component and is not entire H2O, some is unreacted acetone);

Health effects

Swallowing very high levels of acetone can result in unconsciousness and damage to the skin in the mouth. Skin contact can result in irritation and damage to the skin.

The smell and respiratory data are known mostly from animal studies. Kidney, liver, and nerve damage, increased birth defects, and lowered reproduction ability of males (only) occurred in animals exposed long-term. It is not known if these same effects would be exhibited in humans.

Interestingly, acetone has been shown to have anticonvulsant effects in animal models of epilepsy, in the absence of toxicity, when administered in millimolar concentrations.

What`s the point? The point is that our vehicles are exposed to things like acetone in forms we never consider (i.e acid rain, other vehicle exhaust fumes, etc) and a by-product in IPA. Let`s not demonize an single ingredient in a product until we have all the pertinent info. If Acetone is used in this product as a solvent and with it volatility (`56 degree), exposure on painted surface is very short. A lot shorter than that rain drop or diesel truck exhaust laying on our hoods.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have yet to find a tyre dressing which if allowed sufficient time to dwell and be properly buffed, causing any slinging

Post Thanks / Like
    Acetone is also used in many organic chemistry labs as a solvent for which to dump your used solutions.

O

ll

C-CH3

l

CH3

This structure can aid in the neutralization(dissolving) of many compounds and can also be detrimental to many substances including paint.

The bottom CH3 is supposed to be on the left side but I couldnt get it to work

Post Thanks / Like
    In practical terms how much acetone would actually reach the paint assuming it is overspray and how much is needed to start to cause any damage to the paint. Also how long would it remain on the paint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information