Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    The directions on my 32 oz. bottle of QEW are incorrect. It states that 1 capful equals 1/2 oz. 2 capfuls would equal 1 oz. *Wrong. It takes 5 capfuls to equal 1 oz.* I wondered why my QEW was lasting so long. Now I know. I was using less than half of what I should have been using. Fortunately I always used QEW only after first going through a coinop wash so my truck was basically clean.

I always use two gallons of water/QEW to wash my big black Hemi. From now on I`ll use a measuring cup. 1/4 cup equals 2 oz. and that`s what I should have in two gallons of water.

Tom
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using 2 capfuls per gallon for 12 years now with no problems. Are you using the gallon container cap or the 16oz cap to measure? I`m not positive they are the same size.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, you`re right. I have the 32oz bottle as well and I just stuck the cap inside a measuring tablespoon and it ended up just below the rim with space all around and underneath it. Probably 1/4oz at most. Guess I`ll use 2 tablespoons (1oz)/gallon rather than using the cap...Thanks for pointing that out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,

I`m using the cap from the 32 oz. container. It`s a darned small cap.

If you have the time, maybe you could measure what the gallon size cap actually holds.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the 16 oz. bottle and with that cap it equates to 2 caps = 0.5 oz.

Thanks for giving me the heads up on this, I too have not been using enough QEW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for giving me the heads up on this, I too have not been using enough QEW.

UGH...me either
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I started a thread about this back in November of 2003. There was some discussion about fluid ounces and weighted ounces and US ounces and Imperial ounces. They are all different.

There was another thread in wich an Autopian contacted Protectall and asked about the cap size and posted the e mail from them. The person from protectall said that the two capfuls suggested on the label was a starting point and that the user should adjust the amount according to the water conditions in their area. Do a search on this topic there a few threads about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a small measuring glass (shot glass size) from Wal-Mart and use it to measure QEW and my MicroRejuvenator. QEW gets 1 oz. per gallon, so 3 oz. total. Using the cap as a guide is a PITA and unreliable to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TW85 HHI

QEW gets 1 oz. per gallon, so 3 oz. total. Using the cap as a guide is a PITA and unreliable to me.

You use 3 gallons of water per wash?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. My attitude is more solution is safer considering there is no hose involved.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. My attitude is more solution is safer considering there is no hose involved.

Same here:up Many here use 1 gallon. I just can`t see 1 gallon cleaning my car. I really soak it good with the QEW and I use 3 gallons sometimes 4.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also tend to use more S&W than many. Spending a few more dollars per month on product beats putting a deep scratch or swirls into the paint by trying to save.

Post Thanks / Like

I also tend to use more S&W than many. Spending a few more dollars per month on product beats putting a deep scratch or swirls into the paint by trying to save.

:nixweiss Maybe it depends on water quality, but 2 capfuls per gallon (using the 16 oz bottle cap) has worked fine for me over the years.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m certainly in no position to say what will or will not work with using concentrated products. I just do not feel comfortable using any less than 1 oz. per gallon. Typically our water is very hard but I only use softened water. Not sure if that will have an impact or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any way you look at it, Protectall gives conflicting directions for use of their product. Yep, I did the search and found the comments from their factory rep. It appears that you should use what works for you. Scott has had great results using the "capful" directions. Other aren`t so comfortable with using the small amounts.

I checked the mixing directions for both Meguiar`s NXT and Deep Crystal shampoos. They say 1 oz. of shampoo per gallon of water. The directions on my Blackfire shampoo say 1/2 to 1 oz. per pail.( Now that is not rocket science). I have never measured any of these products. I just squirt the shampoo into the bucket of water until it looks right.

I think that I`ll start doing the same with QEW. Probably a little less that 1 oz. per gallon, but more than 2 capfuls.

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information