Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone used the new 3M product ...Perfect-It 3000? It`s supposed to be a replacement for Perfect-It III - to comply with the V.O.C. regulations.

The Menzerna IP that I used previously didn`t quite do the job to remove some nasty etching and stains from my paintjob so I`m going to try this out.

I`ve got a black and two white cars that I need to use this on as they all seem to have the same problems. Should I then use my IP and FP for final polishing?

I`ll post my results after I try it out this weekend.
    Peter

`87 Porsche 944S,`95 Saab 900S Conv. , `99 Ford E-350 Super Duty, `94 Dodge Caravan

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve just tried the PI-3000 SMR which should replace the PI-III Machine Glaze.

I`ve done it on a scrap panel, and it seemed more aggressive than #80 and less than #83. Just like the PI-III MG. But I think this is "slightly" more aggressive than the old MG.

I`ve tried it with both Megs Yellow and Red pad via rotary. With the yellow pad, seems to tackle light swirls. But with the Red pad, was able to tackle SOME moderate to heavy swirls but not ALL. Still has some leftover swirls.

With that, I tried doing it with the PI-III Rubbing Compound. (old) Almost perfect, but still need to go down PI-3000 SMR.

IMO, PI-3000 is just a replacement for the old 3M MG. Nothing new. Just that VOC complaint. And also the new name SMR.

Haven`t tried the other PI-3000 stuffs (i.e. RC, Extra Cut, FTG, etc.) But IMHO, they perform similar to their PI-III counterparts, just that less VOC.

And still filler-free:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: Re: Sales lead #USLN-69TSSG

To: jmglex@yahoo.com

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:03:54 -0600

JM,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding 3M Automotive Aftermarket Division products. We appreciate your interest and your business.

3M Perfect-It 3000 Swirl Mark Remover, cuts out compounding swirl marks with a fine abrasive, without filling, and leaves a durable high gloss finish. This formulation stays wet longer and finishes finer compared to P/N 05937. The handling and clean up charachteristics are exceptional.

Mike G.

3M Automotive Aftermarket Division

www.3m.com/automotive

1-877-666-2277

--------------------------------------------------------

If PI-3000 is not doing its job, better try the PI-III RC. It`s not too aggressive as it may sound, but nevertheless be careful.

Following with IP or FP may be optional. But for me, I would do the FP as the last polish for added gloss and to remove some marring/holograms, if there were any left by the 3M prods.

HTH!
    I don`t go by REFLECTIONS, but the WET-LOOK factor. If reflections coincided with my end-result, it`s merely INCIDENTAL... - JMGarcia

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, that description of the 3000 sounds just like the MG. I`d second all of your observations and recommendations :up
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to try 3M products as they are available here locally and I can easily pick them up. I was thinking of using DACP which would have been slightly more aggressive than IP but I decided to try PI-3000 instead. I`ve got Propel Pads and I`ll be using the PI-3000 with my yellow pad.

Are there any recommendations as to what I should follow it up with. I`ve got the Menzerna twins and AIO on hand.
    Peter

`87 Porsche 944S,`95 Saab 900S Conv. , `99 Ford E-350 Super Duty, `94 Dodge Caravan

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tripper_11

Following with IP or FP may be optional. But for me, I would do the FP as the last polish for added gloss and to remove some marring/holograms, if there were any left by the 3M prods.

Menzerna IP is more aggressive than 3M PI III Machine glaze. It would not make no sense to follow MG with IP. FP would be a great choice to follow MG. My go to polishes are Menzerna and 3M. I rank them in this order of aggressiveness.

PI II Fine Cut Rubbing compound

PI III Rubbing Compound

Finesse IT II Machine Polish

Menzerna IP

PI III Machine Glaze

Menzerna FP

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

Do you think that I can go right to FP after my PI-3000 or should I use IP first?
    Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Web Docta

Steve,

Do you think that I can go right to FP after my PI-3000 or should I use IP first?

What PI 3000 product are you refering to? The Rubbing Compound or the SMR?

I am going to assume that PI 3000 is exactly the same as PI III. When I use PI III Machine Glaze I follow with FP. When I use PI III RC with a polishing pad I go right to FP. If I use PI III RC with a cutting pad I follow with PI III Machine Glaze than FP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

Same here.We share the same regimen. Lately, I used some MG followed FP via Cyclo or PC with LC polishing pads with great results :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by stevet

When I use PI III Machine Glaze I follow with FP. When I use PI III RC with a polishing pad I go right to FP. If I use PI III RC with a cutting pad I follow with PI III Machine Glaze than FP.
    I see, so the TYPE of pad that you use makes a difference.

I`ll try using the PI-3000 RC with a blue pad then follow with FP.
    Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes: type of pad, type of machine and speed at which used are all important variables.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m curious that know on has mention that fact that Perfect-It 3000 has silicones in it. I wonder how 3M is going to dance around that issue with the body shops.

My guess is they could not make the new polish work without silicones because it dried too fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by DavidB

I`m curious that know on has mention that fact that Perfect-It 3000 has silicones in it. I wonder how 3M is going to dance around that issue with the body shops.

My guess is they could not make the new polish work without silicones because it dried too fast.

I haven`t used it yet and didn`t know that it contains silicones. If this is the case than their is a bigger difference between PI - 3000 and PI III than 3M customer service is letting on. When I asked what would be different I wasn`t told anything about silicones being in PI- 3000.

Post Thanks / Like
    DavidB- That *is* news. I don`t necessarily have an issue with silicones being in such products, but bodyshops sure will!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by stevet

I haven`t used it yet and didn`t know that it contains silicones. If this is the case than their is a bigger difference between PI - 3000 and PI III than 3M customer service is letting on. When I asked what would be different I wasn`t told anything about silicones being in PI- 3000.

Here`s some factual information that might interest everyone. The new VOC regulations limit the use of solvents to 15% by volume. This requires a significant solvent level reduction for many polish and sealant/wax formulas.

In a polish formula this means that the solvent content must be replaced with a non-VOC liquid, most commonly water. What most chemists are finding is that water evaporates too fast, causing the polish to dry out quickly, reducing the time you have to work with it. Likewise, the solvents used in past polish formulas flash off quickly. To counter this problem, many of the new polish formulas I`m watching hit the market have silicones added to provide the "wetting" previously offered by the solvents.

Use of silicones in consumer polishes is not a problem in most situations, but it is for a bodyshop formula.

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, silicones are a non-issue in the body shop world.

A reputable body shop will prep a paint surface before doing any work with a product like PrepSol. That will remove any wax (containing silicone or not) from the surface.
    forrest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information